First time 4x4. Range Rover or Jag?

woof woof

I like a nice Chianti
Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
It's very early days but I'm thinking about getting a 4x4 and if I do I'd like to buy British (even if it's annoyingly made in Austria) and I'm specifically looking at an Evoque or one of the Jag options. It'll be 4x4, auto box and petrol and under £50K ... assuming that the greener options aren't a real world proposition for me when I buy.

Just a bit of history.

I used to be really into cars and specifically small open cars and then I decided to try something different and decided to go for a larger saloon. After trying a few of the usual suspects, Merc, BMW, Audi... I spotted a 3 year old 4ltr Jag S and bought it the theory being I could sell it on if I couldn't settle with it and lose a lot less than I would on a new one. I did like that car but eventually the sports car bug bit again so I sold it on after 3 years or so.

So, I've done sports cars to death, a family member gave me a hatch back when they gave up driving so I've done that too, I've done the big saloon and when I had company cars I did the run of the mill saloon thing so the 4x4 experience is left. I wont be climbing any mountains in it, it'll just be a different driving and owning experience for a car fan, something I haven't owned yet :D

I did think about a car style 4x4 years ago and test drove a couple of Subaru's but I think this time if I do go for a 4x4 it'll be the full on SUV style rather than a car style one. But I don't know much about them so if there are any 4x4 aficionados here is there any reason why I should go for one over the other?

Last edited:
I am a big fan of Land Rover & 4X4 in general but last year when we looked at a petrol Range Rover Evoque, Jaguar F-Type and Discovery Sport we ended up with a BMW X3 3.0 Diesel MSport Auto instead. We needed something fairly quickly to collect our new caravan from the dealers (I couldn't wait for Factory Build of 8+ weeks) and ended up buying a pre-registered car with 14 miles on the clock & approx £12k discount against new so we got a higher spec car for less money.
I wasn't particularly impressed with our local LR dealer, they gave me the impression they were doing me a big favour speaking to me as I only had around £40k-£45k to spend. They tried too hard to upsell me & push PCP too.

The last Land Rover we had (2004 Discovery II) was the most unreliable car I have ever owned. From new it had >£4500 warranty repairs in the 2 years I owned it. I don't think their reputation for reliability has improved much since.

In my view the BMW is better made & more roomy than the other vehicles we looked at. I preferred the F-type & Discovery Sport to the Evoque.
The BMW 3.0D engine is a straight 6 with 260BHP and a shed load of torque; it's faster than our Mini Cooper S.....

Whatever you buy watch out for the list price > £40k, that attracts an extra £350 PA VED for the first 5 years ownership.

I think the Jag’s a better looking car.

But if we were going to move on from our Q5, neither the Jag or the LR would tempt us. As much as the ‘buy British’ thing is tempting, I’ve heard too many stories of build quality woes to seriously consider either.

Ironically, our next car will probably be an Alfa Romeo Stelio!

I've owned and run Land Rover vehicles as my main car for over three decades now, and the key thing is to stay on top of maintenance. Try to skimp on service and maintenance and it will bite you very hard as they are complex (increasingly so) vehicles and there's a lot to potentially go wrong (as there is with other makes too). However, buy a well looked after, low mileage one, with main dealer service history and blemish free service record (ask to see this and if they've nothing to hide and it's a good vehicle then they should have no problem showing you the full service records on their computer, which should include every part and job it's had done), then it should be capable of giving you several years of value for money service and driving experience.

My choice? Perhaps have a look as a low mileage and 'mint' Discovery 4 (last of the older shape). It's a real Swiss Army Knife of a vehicle, with 7 full size seats (two that fold up out of the boot) if you need to run lots of people about. The boot (with the two part-time seats folded down) is huge. I find it's a very untiring vehicle to drive, being comfortable and quiet, and if you go for all terrain type tires then the next time it snows you should be laughing.

The downside is fuel economy, it's not bad for the size and weight of the vehicle, but if you do a big annual mileage then you probably shouldn't be looking at large 4x4s unless you genuinely need the off road and/or towing ability. Check factors such as congestion and pollution charge rates in cities too! We all know things can break as time goes on (as they can with any car), but I find the price of the parts is often quite good considering the size of them, plus you shouldn't have to wait a week for the part to be delivered from Japan (or potentially much longer if they've had an earthquake or tsunami).

As with all cars, there are good ones and bad ones, and ones that have been neglected by their previous owner/s (who possibly wanted the prestige but couldn't actually afford to run and maintain the vehicle properly). Avoid the latter like the plague, as it could cost you several thousand pounds to put things right if they've been neglected... and probably more than that if you've bought a badly neglected/abused lemon.

Last edited:
Mt missus has a petrol Discovery Sport, it is a pretty capable motor, but isn't good on fuel if that is a consideration. It wasn't really for us as she doesn't do a lot of miles. I'd say it averages about 25mpg from mixed driving, and on a run my M3 gives better mpg. But my car is useless for carrying anything other than the bare essentials, the DS has loads of room and is a nice place to be. We travelled to Gatwick (250 miles) and it was very comfortable and a nice drive to just cruise along. It has a decent turn of speed and handled pretty well too, even if there is an amount of body roll. Although that is compared to a coilover suspended sports saloon.

It seems to me from reading your post that this will be just a luxury car that will never actually be used as a 4x4. . .

My needs and usage are entirely different, I use a 4 x 4 because I need one for driving off-road, towing seriously heavy trailers and general farm use. Mine is a Mitsubishi.

The only small contribution that I can make is to suggest that you keep away from anything made by Land Rover - yes, they are large, thirsty and comfortable cars that happen to have 4WD but my own experience over many years is that they depreciate badly and are unreliable. And I don't think that they've improved either.

Thanks guys.

It's interesting that LR are taking a bashing for reliability which I know can be the case so I took a quick peak at the JD Power results for 2018 and BMW came bottom, then Audi, Fiat and then LR. No real surprises there. Having had a couple of "quality" German cars, Merc and Porsche, I know that the Germans at least talk a good game but I do realise that specific models can buck the overall trend for good or bad.

Anyway, I'm not really too concerned about reliability unless it's truly dreadful or the thing is likely to do a Vauxhall and burst into flames... If I was putting reliability above all else in a 4x4 I wouldn't be looking to BMW or any German marque for that matter I'd probably be looking at Lexus / Toyota and Nissan. Mrs WW has a Nissan X-Trail 4x4 in Thailand and I suppose it's everything I could want from a 4x4 as was the Lexus a former GF had but I think that one of the two cars I mentioned above is what I'll go for if I do go for this sort of car.

Ditto depreciation. It's not really a worry. If I really wanted to avoid the smack in the face that depreciation is the best way to go would probably be to get a 18 month to three year old car. Possibly. With the budget I have at least I have the choice of buying new or used. I bought my Jag used as I wasn't sure I'd like it and thought that the used price was so good that it was next to no risk which is what it proved to be in reality so I could buy used if I'm not sure about loving the thing. I'll think about it.

If anyone has any direct ownership feedback on the models I'm looking at or even better has tried them both I'd love to hear about it.

I think the Jag’s a better looking car.

But if we were going to move on from our Q5, neither the Jag or the LR would tempt us. As much as the ‘buy British’ thing is tempting, I’ve heard too many stories of build quality woes to seriously consider either.

Ironically, our next car will probably be an Alfa Romeo Stelio!

When the Jag was first announced I thought it'd be a top end model and I was shocked to find it was cheaper than the LR. I initially liked the look of the Evoque but the Jag has been growing in me.

As I said above, you can get the occasional lemon no matter which make you buy. Also, don't forget, buyers of prestige motors probably tend to be a bit more 'picky' than those of less luxurious cars, plus there are usually more bells and whistles on them to go wrong - or get broken.

I've had a couple of Discovery's (3 and 4) which I loved driving long distance in for the comfort, power and lack of tiredness I experienced, but they did not give me a driving "experience". I tried the Evoque, it was more of a "car" to drive (ie didn't feel big), and to me felt a bit small in the cabin and like sitting in a bathtub with the windowsills around shoulder height - don't like that. I very much liked the Disco Sport, being an improvement on the Freelander and with more space and luxuries and better economy in diesel. The Velar looks good but is just a variation of the Rangie Sport to my mind, and frankly a bit too much bling.
If I were going for a new/newish one, now, I'd look at the Jag or the Porsche, I love the Stellio but it's not really an all-rounder car like the others I suspect. But great street cred and probably all three offer a good driving experience.

I've had a couple of Discovery's (3 and 4) which I loved driving long distance in for the comfort, power and lack of tiredness I experienced, but they did not give me a driving "experience". I tried the Evoque, it was more of a "car" to drive (ie didn't feel big), and to me felt a bit small in the cabin and like sitting in a bathtub with the windowsills around shoulder height - don't like that. I very much liked the Disco Sport, being an improvement on the Freelander and with more space and luxuries and better economy in diesel. The Velar looks good but is just a variation of the Rangie Sport to my mind, and frankly a bit too much bling.
If I were going for a new/newish one, now, I'd look at the Jag or the Porsche, I love the Stellio but it's not really an all-rounder car like the others I suspect. But great street cred and probably all three offer a good driving experience.

Thanks.

I've had the driver experience with my sports cars the most involving of which was the Lotus Elise. I'm not too worried about a 4x4 being less involving as I've done involving for years and I'm looking for something differnt :D Having said that, years ago I test drove one of those go fast Subaru's and my Gosh it scared the bejezus out of me because it felt totally disconnected from the road. It was like sitting playing on an Xbox. I'd be surprised if any of these cars is that bad but if they are I might just forget the idea :D A little comfort and remoteness will be fine but I don't want a complete Xbox :D The legacy I drove later was much better but I got the Jag S instead.

The comfort aspect appeals to me. The Jag I had was just about effortless over distance and I do like that as a contrast to the seat of your pants experience that open two seaters give. It's just something different and a SUV style 4x4 is something I haven't done yet. I did like being chauffeured around in that Lexus RXx and X-Trail and I might just give it a go.

On that basis Alan, I'd go with the Jag as the best fit for you. I really liked driving an XF, and I'd guess the F-Pace is like that to drive but with something extra to offer in practicality.

I've thought about an XF but I thought it might be too close and experience to the S. Very nice cars though and if I wanted another large saloon type car it'd be at the top of the list.

I have to add, this is our first 4x4/SUV/soft roader and I got quite car sick the first few times I drove it.

I’m used to it now, but for about a month, I thought i’d Made a terrible decision.

The same happened to me when I got an SLK. I might be ok now as I often drive a Getz which is a bit more roly poly than my MX5.

I would be interested in the F-Pace 3.0 V6 Supercharged. You can get a 2016/17 very low mileage in your budget and they are bigger in person these SUVs. I don't see many about (unlike the Bavarian hordes) and they do catch my eye.

I wouldn't hang around for Jaguar's own Ingenium V6 to go in, the current one was developed with Ford and will be more reliable until the new one has niggles ironed out, just like the AJD-V6 diesel in the 1st Gen XF is more reliable than the current Ingenium diesels which have problems with adblue and oil dilution (just like Honda's 1.6 diesel), I'd avoid them and stick to petrol.

Last edited:
I've thought about an XF but I thought it might be too close and experience to the S. Very nice cars though and if I wanted another large saloon type car it'd be at the top of the list.

XF Sportbrake would be my choice as the rear air suspension does an amazing job of making a loaded car feel empty. I prefer the 1st Gen interior but the diesel's are all EURO5 so it would have to be the rare 5.0 V8 :cool: but if I had to go with the 2nd Gen then it would either be the 2.0 300 AWD or wait to see if their 3.0 V6 is reliable enough (which I believe has some hybrid function in it to power the supercharger but can't remember). Definitely not their modern diesel.

Interesting that the German marques are doing well with forum members despite doing abysmally in the quality surveys. Maybe this just goes to show that even the worst cars are good these days, burning Vauxhalls aside.

I bought my Jag S from a main dealer and I have to say that they were completely and utterly pathetic. Thankfully I never had to go back once I drove the car away :D I was however very pleased when they rang me for customer feedback. I didn't hold back :D:D

I learned my lessons and will not stand for poor service now.

Well we have had much better customer service from LR than we did from BMW, I will never ever buy another vehicle of any kind from them again.

A friend has just 'handed back' a Jaguar 4x4; continuous faults with the electrics and the can bus system. Had a real struggle handing it back as well - took 4 months and lots of hassle to get her money back.

A friend has just 'handed back' a Jaguar 4x4; continuous faults with the electrics and the can bus system. Had a real struggle handing it back as well - took 4 months and lots of hassle to get her money back.

At least they did take it back, ironically I hear a lot of goodwill stories from Jaguar (actual jaguar, not the dealers) whereas I hear the German marques telling people where to go with no goodwill offered and some real horror stories with Audi. But like most things it's always the bad which stands out.

Nothing in my experience trumps BMW. Joyriding my car big time, school children having to run out of the way, smashing over speed bumps at over 30mph and various other events over several visits. They buckled an alloy but denied it and basically implied I should p*ss off. So I showed them the footage and got a new alloy but no apology.

I think some of this must come down to the dealership or even the individual salesman. My experiences with Audi weren't good and only being very direct with the Merc branch manager got issues resolved when the sales contact wasn't interested but when I went to the local BMW dealer I met a very helpful young salesperson who was just perfect. He couldn't have been more enthusiastic, knowledgeable or helpful and I really felt for him when I didn't buy the car and went for something else instead. Porsche were next to hopeless too and only taking an assertive line got me anything like good service. I think there's a lot of arrogant couldn't give a flying attitude with these up market brands across the board. Gosh knows why but it seems to have always been so.

Talking of dealership horror stories. I took my Lotus Elan SE in for a service and asked them to look at some other issue I had and when I went to pick it up they'd done the service but hadn't had time to do the other thing... despite having clocked up over 40 miles in it so I assume joyriding in a turbo charged and intercooled Elan was more important that doing the work I'd asked to be done. It got so bad at that dealership that I rang Lotus direct and complained and they sent a guy up to fettle my car and he did an absolutely fantastic job, that car was never better and they're no longer a Lotus dealer.

I don't want to appear too flippant about JLR quality and I'm sure there are horror stories out there but also there must be many happy customers too and they do seem to score a little higher overall than the German alternatives in the surveys.

I suppose a lot depends on how serious any faults are as well as dealership attitude. Years ago I knew a salesman who switched from VW to a brand that I wont name but it's one that used to be regularly castigated for quality... I was surprised and I asked him why and if he was worried by the amount of complaints and he said he wasn't as in his new job customers came back with complaints like bits of trim coming off or saying they'd spotted a flaw in the paintwork, things he described as nothing problems that could be sorted in an hour in the workshop whereas with VW he had angry customers coming back with totalled engines and gear boxes and he just got sick of it. It is surprising how the Germans maintain this air of engineering superiority when in reality and according to the various surveys and my own ownership experiences their products are more likely to be poor to average for quality and reliability.

Anyway, I hope I'm not wrong in hoping that despite the odd horror story these cars be they BMW's or JLR's actually aren't all that bad. All things are relative and these cars have more things to go wrong than a relatively simple and 99.9% reliable Hyundai (or whatever) has and also when we consider what cars used to be like the modern stuff is very probably an ownership dream. Thinking about it, the last time I got actually stranded in any car was in my MG Midget when I was in my 20's when the engine blew up and that was only because the previous owners had bodged an engine job up big time. Once I'd had the engine rebuilt that car was reliable too.

It's early days yet and I haven't even been to look at the cars yet let alone test drive them so there's time to think. I used to like the look of the Evoque but I see a lot of them and I'm going off the boil a bit and beginning to think they look a bit flashy, maybe, whereas I think that Jag looks a little more restrained.

I'll keep thinking and looking. Thanks so far :D

Last edited:
I think some of this must come down to the dealership or even the individual salesman. My experiences with Audi weren't good and only being very direct with the Merc branch manager got issues resolved when the sales contact wasn't interested but when I went to the local BMW dealer I met a very helpful young salesperson who was just perfect. He couldn't have been more enthusiastic, knowledgeable or helpful and I really felt for him when I didn't buy the car and went for something else instead. Porsche were next to hopeless too and only taking an assertive line got me anything like good service. I think there's a lot of arrogant couldn't give a flying attitude with these up market brands across the board. Gosh knows why but it seems to have always been so.

Talking of dealership horror stories. I took my Lotus Elan SE in for a service and asked them to look at some other issue I had and when I went to pick it up they'd done the service but hadn't had time to do the other thing... despite having clocked up over 40 miles in it so I assume joyriding in a turbo charged and intercooled Elan was more important that doing the work I'd asked to be done. It got so bad at that dealership that I rang Lotus direct and complained and they sent a guy up to fettle my car and he did an absolutely fantastic job, that car was never better and they're no longer a Lotus dealer.

I don't want to appear too flippant about JLR quality and I'm sure there are horror stories out there but also there must be many happy customers too and they do seem to score a little higher overall than the German alternatives in the surveys.

I suppose a lot depends on how serious any faults are as well as dealership attitude. Years ago I knew a salesman who switched from VW to a brand that I wont name but it's one that used to be regularly castigated for quality... I was surprised and I asked him why and if he was worried by the amount of complaints and he said he wasn't as in his new job customers came back with complaints like bits of trim coming off or saying they'd spotted a flaw in the paintwork, things he described as nothing problems that could be sorted in an hour in the workshop whereas with VW he had angry customers coming back with totalled engines and gear boxes and he just got sick of it. It is surprising how the Germans maintain this air of engineering superiority when in reality and according to the various surveys and my own ownership experiences their products are more likely to be poor to average for quality and reliability.

Anyway, I hope I'm not wrong in hoping that despite the odd horror story these cars be they BMW's or JLR's actually aren't all that bad. All things are relative and these cars have more things to go wrong than a relatively simple and 99.9% reliable Hyundai (or whatever) has and also when we consider what cars used to be like the modern stuff is very probably an ownership dream. Thinking about it, the last time I got actually stranded in any car was in my MG Midget when I was in my 20's when the engine blew up and that was only because the previous owners had bodged an engine job up big time. Once I'd had the engine rebuilt that car was reliable too.

It's early days yet and I haven't even been to look at the cars yet let alone test drive them so there's time to think. I used to like the look of the Evoque but I see a lot of them and I'm going off the boil a bit and beginning to think they look a bit flashy, maybe, whereas I think that Jag looks a little more restrained.

I'll keep thinking and looking. Thanks so far :D

I've been saying it for some time on these forums about German cars Alan but get the usual abuse back!

TBH Japanese is the way forward if you find something you like but they are a bit limited for choice in the 4 x 4 SUV.

Good luck with your shopping (y)

I've been saying it for some time on these forums about German cars Alan but get the usual abuse back!

TBH Japanese is the way forward if you find something you like but they are a bit limited for choice in the 4 x 4 SUV.

Good luck with your shopping (y)

I used to work for a group of companies that supplied the German car industry and had to wade through their spec sheets. I can tell you that at the time (and I doubt things have changed) the prestige brands couldn't match the Japanese for what I'd term real world engineering quality. They do however talk the quality up very well and the motoring press and many consumers buy into it and lap it up. I take it all with healthy cynicism :D Actually years back I also went to Rover sites when I worked in computers. They didn't have a great reputation but I do have to say that the Mondeo I had back then was very reliable. In the time I had it I did a lot of miles in it and I only had two faults, a windscreen wiper motor went and just before it went back the drivers window fell into the door. Compared to the absolute anarchy of running a Ford Sierra or Vauxhall Cavalier as company cars that Mondeo was a dream. The Fords in particular were terrible and the last one I had was always either in the dealership or booked in. I had nothing good to say about that car or any of the dealers and in fact I vowed I'd never ever touch Ford or their dealers again.

As I said above, a previous GF had a Lexus 4x4 and it was perfect as is the X-Trail Mrs WW left in Thailand but I'm not looking at those cars at the moment. I suppose if going for sensible and reliable and made in the UK maybe a Qashqai would make sense :D

Last edited:
Of course the somewhat unknown of how people treat their cars will have a fair impact on reliability as well. I would hesitate a guess that some brands are more likely to be ragged and dare I say it abused.

If you search the Internet for 'best' or 'most reliable' 4x4 or SUV models you might find there are some differences in the various brands league positions vs JD Power & similar. I would also have a browse around for forums which cover the 4x4/SUV models too as they can prove interesting reading.

It has also been said that the reason BMW bought Land Rover many moons ago was to gain access to their 4x4 expertise.

As far as dealers are concerned, we had excellent service from our local Land Rover dealer with our two Freelanders & our dog of a Discovery 2 , their drivers got very familiar with the journey to my workplace for pick it up & return it after warranty work. Sadly, since then the franchise changed hands and is now part of a much larger automotive group & their attitude to customer service has suffered. Our experience last year when looking at a Discovery Sport put me off buying one. They couldn't be bothered to organise a test drive until pushed really hard & they weren't listening to us when we said we were looking for a car for my wife; the sales pitch was directed at me & they almost ignored my wife.

The worst dealers I have come across are VW & Audi, each time I consider one of their vehicles the dealers attitude puts me off.

the reason BMW bought Land Rover many moons ago was to gain access to their 4x4 expertise.

That and the Mini name.

I used to work for a group of companies that supplied the German car industry and had to wade through their spec sheets. I can tell you that at the time (and I doubt things have changed) the prestige brands couldn't match the Japanese for what I'd term real world engineering quality. They do however talk the quality up very well and the motoring press and many consumers buy into it and lap it up. I take it all with healthy cynicism :D Actually years back I also went to Rover sites when I worked in computers. They didn't have a great reputation but I do have to say that the Mondeo I had back then was very reliable. In the time I had it I did a lot of miles in it and I only had two faults, a windscreen wiper motor went and just before it went back the drivers window fell into the door. Compared to the absolute anarchy of running a Ford Sierra or Vauxhall Cavalier as company cars that Mondeo was a dream. The Fords in particular were terrible and the last one I had was always either in the dealership or booked in. I had nothing good to say about that car or any of the dealers and in fact I vowed I'd never ever touch Ford or their dealers again.

As I said above, a previous GF had a Lexus 4x4 and it was perfect as is the X-Trail Mrs WW left in Thailand but I'm not looking at those cars at the moment. I suppose if going for sensible and reliable and made in the UK maybe a Qashqai would make sense :D
Yes I had a mondeo it was ok reliable etc but the doors rotted out very badly when it was only a few years old
Apparently they used rubbish steel to make the doors
I said then that I would never buy another ford and haven’t either

Ford now produce excellent quality cars and are probably the best quality wise of the European car manufacturers.

Over the last 25 years I've had a Citroen ZX 1.9d (275k miles never any problems), MG TF (real fun but poorly built, a rear light cluster falling out even when the delivery driver handed me the keys! but I'd have one again for the fun and simplicity), Mazda MX-5 (brilliant, cheap to own and run, fun), LR Disco 4 (£100k miles in 5 years but expensive to do mileage in with brakes and tyres every 2 years £2k and a problem with the exhaust gas recirculates that cost a lot to get fixed after several false indications were fixed), Mazda 6 estate (excellent value for money, lots of extras, great performance, cheap to run and own, stylish for an estate), Disco 4 again (not enough miles so got rid of as no longer worth the expense). Now using my Fiesta station car for everything and finding it a lot of fun though I'm not looking forward to the first long journey in it!

I recently traded in our facelift 2013 XF 3 litre diesel. It had a reoccurring fault where it would randomly go into Restricted Performance (limp home) mode for no apparent reason. The Jaguar dealer couldn’t replicate the fault and it was never logged in the memory so they couldn’t identify what was going on. All I know was it was really scary when you suddenly lost power in the outside lane of a motorway. It would reset if you pulled over and turned the ignition off for 30 seconds, then carry on fine afterwards l, but I lost all confidence in the car. Checking on a Jag owner’s forum it was a fairly common problem with no simple method of resolving it...some owners thought it was fuel pressure or filter related, others an electrical issue, there were also several reports that the plastic intercooler pipework was very prone to cracking and weakening the fuel mix. I liked the car otherwise: it had good performance, decent fuel economy and was really comfortable and well equipped, but I wouldn’t buy another one.

Just as an observation - the Range Rover is tenapenny - you see them here, there and everywhere. The Jaguar isn't (For now) a common sight. Out of the two - I'd choose the one that had the higher level of rarity, as you say budget isn't an issue here. The RR is becoming the 4x4 equivalent of the Ford Fiesta - every man and their dog (as it were) wants one.

Loads of ?Paces down here, as common as Rangies and Discos.

Just as an observation - the Range Rover is tenapenny - you see them here, there and everywhere. The Jaguar isn't (For now) a common sight. Out of the two - I'd choose the one that had the higher level of rarity, as you say budget isn't an issue here. The RR is becoming the 4x4 equivalent of the Ford Fiesta - every man and their dog (as it were) wants one.

Yup :D

Evoques are everywhere here. There's 2 in our road. Didn't Jeremy Clarkson say they were going to surpass helium as the universes most common element? Or something like that.

Not many Evoque convertibles around though, if you want a bit of exclusivity ;)

I recently traded in our facelift 2013 XF 3 litre diesel. It had a reoccurring fault where it would randomly go into Restricted Performance (limp home) mode for no apparent reason. The Jaguar dealer couldn’t replicate the fault and it was never logged in the memory so they couldn’t identify what was going on. All I know was it was really scary when you suddenly lost power in the outside lane of a motorway. It would reset if you pulled over and turned the ignition off for 30 seconds, then carry on fine afterwards l, but I lost all confidence in the car. Checking on a Jag owner’s forum it was a fairly common problem with no simple method of resolving it...some owners thought it was fuel pressure or filter related, others an electrical issue, there were also several reports that the plastic intercooler pipework was very prone to cracking and weakening the fuel mix. I liked the car otherwise: it had good performance, decent fuel economy and was really comfortable and well equipped, but I wouldn’t buy another one.

Thats exactly the same problem I had with my 2009 Disco 4. After a couple of false fixes under warranty, it was finally located to be a fault in the exhaust gas recirculator - a sensor fault. Same engine as the Disco, so probably the same fault.

Thats exactly the same problem I had with my 2009 Disco 4. After a couple of false fixes under warranty, it was finally located to be a fault in the exhaust gas recirculator - a sensor fault. Same engine as the Disco, so probably the same fault.
Interesting. I’m surprised the Jag dealer didn’t pick up on that if it’s a known fault (and presumably Jag and LR share results in fault finding?)

Not many Evoque convertibles around though, if you want a bit of exclusivity ;)

I'll get one if I feel the need to change my name to Chardonney and marry a footballer :D

Last edited:
Back