First time 4x4. Range Rover or Jag?

There is a good chance that by 2050 the general public will realise the scam of CO2 being called a pollutant when it is actually very good for the planet.
Electric vehicles are not the technology of the future - it's absurd to think they will be.
Synthetic fuel is more likely to succeed IMO.

If you or I made a living from environmental issues that sort of talk would get you sacked and you'd be persona non grata and would probably get you some death threats too.

There's an American scientist/environmentalist who's name I can't remember at the mo who has pointed out how well life on earth did when there was much more co2 in the atmosphere and temperatures were higher than they are today and he has a very hard time of it to the point of people taking pot shots through his office window.

No matter what the truth of global warming/climate change is and whether it's man made or not is possibly beyond debate now as it's now a movement that's beyond question and it seems to have been decided that the future of transport is electric. I would have thought that fuel cells needed a closer look but electric it is until that's seen to be undeniably a silly mistake and given the history of the human race and the propensity for cover ups I'd say that if it is a mistake it'll be a long time before it's admitted.

If you or I made a living from environmental issues that sort of talk would get you sacked and you'd be persona non grata and would probably get you some death threats too.

There's an American scientist/environmentalist who's name I can't remember at the mo who has pointed out how well life on earth did when there was much more co2 in the atmosphere and temperatures were higher than they are today and he has a very hard time of it to the point of people taking pot shots through his office window.

No matter what the truth of global warming/climate change is and whether it's man made or not is possibly beyond debate now as it's now a movement that's beyond question and it seems to have been decided that the future of transport is electric. I would have thought that fuel cells needed a closer look but electric it is until that's seen to be undeniably a silly mistake and given the history of the human race and the propensity for cover ups I'd say that if it is a mistake it'll be a long time before it's admitted.
I agree wholeheartedly with this Alan.
I am just struggling to imagine terraced streets with charging points for every vehicle.
Synthetic fuel seems far more feasible.
The other option is laying strips in the tarmac that charge vehicles as they are travelling like proximity chargers for phones.

I agree wholeheartedly with this Alan.
I am just struggling to imagine terraced streets with charging points for every vehicle.
Synthetic fuel seems far more feasible.
The other option is laying strips in the tarmac that charge vehicles as they are travelling like proximity chargers for phones.
My money's on Hydrogen powered ICE or Hydrogen fuel cell powered EVs with the hydrogen being produced using solar or wind power. Imagine a hydrogen fuelling station with its own turbine(s) or solar panels, all you would need is a supply of water?

My money's on Hydrogen powered ICE or Hydrogen fuel cell powered EVs with the hydrogen being produced using solar or wind power. Imagine a hydrogen fuelling station with its own turbine(s) or solar panels, all you would need is a supply of water?
I certainly think it's more practical than electric. The whole policy hasn't been thought through - it's a knee jerk reaction to a 16yr old!

Didn't a hydrogen fuel station explode recently?

As some or maybe many of the worlds car makers are now so heavily invested in electric that there's maybe no other option for them I'd imagine there'd be a lot of pressure from both manufacturers and their home governments to prevent a change in direction away from electric... unless it all goes wrong in a way which can't be hidden.

Anyway, my reasons for thinking about an electric 4x4 are purely selfish as there may be a point in the near future at which the world turns even more against 4x4's and fossil fuels to the point that I'd have wasted my money if I bought one.

There are other issues with hydrogen besides how potentially explosive it is. Firstly it has to kept at high pressure to stay in a liquid state, so that means it needs a very strong (and therefore heavy) storage tank, adding considerably to the amount of weight any hydrogen powered vehicle needs to move. Secondly you’d still need a source of electricity for its production, assuming it was made in the most logical and cheapest way by splitting water into its component parts.

Didn't a hydrogen fuel station explode recently?

As some or maybe many of the worlds car makers are now so heavily invested in electric that there's maybe no other option for them I'd imagine there'd be a lot of pressure from both manufacturers and their home governments to prevent a change in direction away from electric... unless it all goes wrong in a way which can't be hidden.

Anyway, my reasons for thinking about an electric 4x4 are purely selfish as there may be a point in the near future at which the world turns even more against 4x4's and fossil fuels to the point that I'd have wasted my money if I bought one.
Yes I believe one did, EV batteries make pretty good bonfires too. By way of comparison I wonder how many ICE vehicle fires there are? There was a McLaren supercar caught fire at a filling station in the last day or so......

I'm still thinking about all this but I'm progressing sloooowly.

I've added the Discovery to the shortlist so it's now the Jag E pace, Discovery or Evoque.

I'll almost certainly research, think and test drive and then think again. At the moment my previous favourite, the Evoque, is waning a bit and I'm finding I like the look of the E Pace and Discovery more.

It'll be really difficult giving up my MX5 so there's that to think about too.

I believe serious issues with oil dilution has transpired with modern JLR diesels so I'd definitely avoid these.

Diesels are deffo not on the shopping list and never ever have been so it'll be petrol or whatever electric or hybrid technology is winning the charm offensive by the time I get around to buying one.

An F Pace SVR is not on the menu as I have no interest in a performance 4x4 at all :D I've never really been into speed as such and much prefer the handling and feel and fun aspects of driving to straight line performance hence my love of small two seat sports cars.

In that case I'd probably come back to my previous suggestion of the F Pace 3L petrol, unless you are willing to wait a few years as Jaguar and BMW have teamed up to produce EVs, the first I believe is to be a new XJ EV but I'm sure more will come.

Unless you really want a Discovery of course, I personally don't like the D5 and much prefer the looks of the D4, but alas no petrol.

What about the Volvo XC90? The new one looks good and really stands out and has decent tech, although I've heard the infotainment system has had some issues.

Volvos don't make it onto the list I'm afraid as my list is of JLR cars that are vaguely British because I've always fancied a Land Rover but later added Jag to the list. If I didn't want a JLR I'd add the various Lexus, Toyota and Nissan (I could even buy a Made in Britain Nissan :D) offerings as they're capable, reliable and everything that anyone could want I suppose but Volvo just aren't on my radar at all I'm afraid as for me they don't have the appeal of the JLR products and don't IMO have the overall competency of the Japanese offerings.

What about the Volvo XC90? The new one looks good and really stands out and has decent tech, although I've heard the infotainment system has had some issues.
I looked at the Volvo XC last year and eventually bought an Audi Q5. The Volvo is a nice car and even slightly better looking than the Audi IMO but what put me off was the touchscreen system. Virtually every car system is controlled from there and it means taking your eyes off the road for more time than I felt comfortable with. Whereas the Audi has physical buttons for the things you use regularly, like heating/AC/radio stations.

Last edited:
I looked at the Volvo XC last year and eventually bought an Audi Q5. The Volvo is a nice car and even slightly better looking that’s the Audi IMO but what put me off was the touchscreen system. Virtually every car system is controlled from there and it means taking your eyes off the road for more time than I felt comfortable with. Whereas the Audi has physical buttons for the things you use regularly, like heating/AC/radio stations.

That could be worrying as I have heard of quite a few issues with the infotainment system, I'm not sure if it's been sorted now but I do feel it's important to have physical buttons as I reckon they are more reliable.

Back