First time attempt at football photography

Edit My Images
No
My local had a five-a-side match on Saturday and the lads asked me to record the game for posterity, or someting like that. I've never done any sports photography before but here's some of the more memorable shots. Critiques appreciated.

025120305tif.jpg

033120305tif.jpg

036120305tif.jpg

038120305tif.jpg

IMG_5704.jpg

hehe not bad Adrian, not done sports photography either, so cant really comment from that aspect, i know where to come if we ever start a spot the ball competition now though!

There are some nice shots there :) I tried taking photos of a local club and didnt realise how hard it can be.

I had a go at this a little while ago. Very very hard. I eventualy found the key was anticipation, follow the ball and anticipate a takle or a strike. I was trying to take the shot just as I saw the action, of course by the time the shutter has released that split second has gone. Out of 70 odd pics 3 or 4 were semi decent action shots.

Digital SPG said:
I had a go at this a little while ago. Very very hard. I eventualy found the key was anticipation, follow the ball and anticipate a takle or a strike. I was trying to take the shot just as I saw the action, of course by the time the shutter has released that split second has gone. Out of 70 odd pics 3 or 4 were semi decent action shots.

I'd done a little research before I did this and it seemed to me that that's exactly what a pro sports photographer does, while filling up card after card to ensure they don't miss the killer shot. All this is easier said than done but by using this technique of following the ball, then shooting on burst when I thought someting was about to happen, I managed to get 40 shots (out of 728) that were good enough to keep, although there were some that were very similar to each other due to the burst shooting.

I think you've done quite well.

You'll be able to rib the subjects over their facial expressions and the mongue legs :D

Not a bad effort, one rule of sports photography is to shoot with a fast lens and have the aperture wide open, this helps blur the background. One downside is your focus needs to be spot on. maybe next time, try slowing the shutter down a little and do some panning, just adds a little more dynamism to some shots. You've done a better effort than i could do though at least you managed to get the ball in shot.

Back