Critique First Time Shooting Golf.

Name
Nicholas
Edit My Images
No
I got new cameras this week and my sister was looking to get a bit of practice in ahead of a championship this weekend. It seemed like a good chance to get some practice in with the new babies so off I went. I thought I'd put a few in here for a bit of C&C. Please don't be too brutal!

1)
TaptonPark_JMB-0021 by Nicholas Smith, on Flickr

2)
TaptonPark_JMB-0052 by Nicholas Smith, on Flickr

3)
TaptonPark_JMB-0520 by Nicholas Smith, on Flickr

4)
TaptonPark_JMB-0186 by Nicholas Smith, on Flickr

5)
TaptonPark_JMB-0231 by Nicholas Smith, on Flickr

6)
TaptonPark_JMB-0235 by Nicholas Smith, on Flickr

7) Them golf clubs are quicker than you think!
TaptonPark_JMB-0289 by Nicholas Smith, on Flickr

8)
TaptonPark_JMB-0308 by Nicholas Smith, on Flickr

Last edited:
3)probably needed a close up and 8 a tighter crop.. all nice BUT you did commit the mortal sin in golf photogrpahy on pic 1) . it doesnt matter if the player is OK with it... NEVER shoot on the back swing..

Im my defence your honor, electric shutter,

The oversized watermark takes aways
a pleasurable viewing experience.

Thank you Kodiak, and fear not, the battle to perfect the watermark continues.

Im my defence your honor, electric shutter,

doesn't matter.... nobody looking at the picture knows that..or that the player agreed.. all they can see is some photogrpaher taking pics on the backswing.. thats the problem ...not that you didn't bother the player...

doesn't matter.... nobody looking at the picture knows that..or that the player agreed.. all they can see is some photogrpaher taking pics on the backswing.. thats the problem ...not that you didn't bother the player...
Given that I hadn't even thought of it before the golfer pre-warned me, I would adjust what you have said to:

Nobody who isn't in the know cares if it was taken on the upswing, downswing or on the way to the gents. Those in the know are constrained by received wisdom and un-receptive to new opportunities offered by new technologies.

Or are you saying that Golf togs with 1d bodies don't even lift the camera to their faces until the ball has left the tee?

The camera gives off no noise and therefore no distraction, so why would I need a golfer's permission to take a specific shot when I have their permission to shoot the round?

Given that I hadn't even thought of it before the golfer pre-warned me, I would adjust what you have said to:

Nobody who isn't in the know cares if it was taken on the upswing, downswing or on the way to the gents. Those in the know are constrained by received wisdom and un-receptive to new opportunities offered by new technologies.

Or are you saying that Golf togs with 1d bodies don't even lift the camera to their faces until the ball has left the tee?

The camera gives off no noise and therefore no distraction, so why would I need a golfer's permission to take a specific shot when I have their permission to shoot the round?

hey i explained the problem being that people loking at the shot wont know the story onyl that you shot on the backswing.......forget it mate.. was just trying to help :(

hey i explained the problem being that people loking at the shot wont know the story onyl that you shot on the backswing.......forget it mate.. was just trying to help :(
I understand that. I just pointed out that people who don't shoot golf don't think about not shooting on the upswing. Then I got a bit defensive, sorry.

I like most of those shots, except #3 and #4 which seemed a bit pointless imo.

2. The out-of-focus block thing, either have moved it or patch-removed it out with photo editing software.

I would have liked to have seen the ball on the Tee in either #5 or #6 ? (the little plastic thing sticks in the ground) rather than just the ball on the ground.

Maybe even the ball on the ground, next to a hole. I would have maybe taken that a little further and made sure the full logo of the ball was visible on the ground and tried selling it to the ball manufacturer (y)

I like them otherwise, technically, all sound as far as I can tell.

Being picky... And just my opinion!

#1 Would be better looking straight up the fairway, with the flag (or a bunker) in the distance.
#2 I know the block is a tee marker but non golfers will just see it as an ugly block.
#3 What a horrid winter tee! Looks like a pallet with some Astroturf stuck on top of it! And it and #4 are a bit out of place in a golf set, even if they were taken during a round.
#5 & #6 Could do with the logo on the ball being lined up
#7 Needs more DoF to get her shoes acceptably sharp as well as the grass clippings she's lifted - or less DoF to throw them further OOF.

@KIPAX can you explain to me why you shouldn't shoot on the back-swing? is this simply etiquette for the player or an artistic consideration? I don't play Golf, never have and doubt I will so, looking at the shot provided by TIT ( :) lol ) no offence intended, I would have never even thought about it, untill you pointed out.

@KIPAX can you explain to me why you shouldn't shoot on the back-swing? is this simply etiquette for the player or an artistic consideration? I don't play Golf, never have and doubt I will so, looking at the shot provided by TIT ( :) lol ) no offence intended, I would have never even thought about it, untill you pointed out.
No offence taken. I made that joke myself about two seconds after thinking up the name!

As for not shooting on the back swing, or on the downward part of the swing it's so the sound of a mechanical mirror or shutter doesn't distract the golfer.

I've never have and never will play golf! It bores me ....... I did wonder what that mound was! [emoji23]
Nice images!!!! Apart from can't see the club! 19th hole club

Mark. No time for the 19th, had to get em processed.

Archie, she's getting there, playing off 8, which isn't bad as she was off 15 4 months ago.

OK, new problem here. The marketing manager for SIV, who run the municipal course on which these photos were taken has been in touch asking for a copy of images. Anyone know if I can charge for use or do they have rights as the managers of the land?

No permission was sought prior to shooting as I didn't expect to make commercial use of the images.

Back