First time shooting motor sport

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Hi all, went to Outon Park Friday because i got a new toy which i have never used before infact 2 new toys Nikon D600 and Nikon 70-200 2.8.

Bloody hell this Motorsport photography needs some practice especially panning but my main reason i went to just test the 2 items together to see if i could get some nice sharp shots.
I don't think i have done to bad for a first timer and i know next time i can only get better as i get to learn the camera and setting and pracice some panning.

A few shots below and yyou are more than welcome to slate me :)

1./
2./
3./
4./
5./

Why would we want to slate you? You have gone out to a place you have never shot before to use camera and lens combinations you have never used before on a subject you have never shot before. And yet you come away with four decent shots.

You have picked a hard one too, I always struggle more with single seaters than GTs or Touring Cars, I think its because the lack of bodywork makes them harder for the AF to lock on to. Other than that, drop that shutter speed well below 1/800 to get a bit more wheel and background blurring into the image and try for more of a mix of shots.

How did you like the racing? Formula Jedi is always fairly exciting.

We went there yesterday. We were both trying out the new X-T2, and panning is something new to us as well. Some pics in the X-T1/X-T2 thread. We tried to get shutter sped down to 1/60 and it worked, but not as often as it failed. Took over 2000 shots between us and have only a handful of keepers. Good fun trying though!

Last edited:
We went there yesterday. We were both trying out the new X-T2, and panning is something new to us as well. Some pics in the X-T1/X-T2 thread. We tried to get shutter sped down to 1/60 and it worked, but not as often as it failed. Took over 2000 shots between us and have only a handful of keepers. Good fun trying though!
Thats the way to get better though, go out and try at 1/20th of a second for a while, keep failing miserably but then go back to 1/80th and hit it on the nose every time. Panning is like rowing, you have to keep practicing it and pushing yourself to go harder or you will lose the skill.

I give up after a while trying to pan @1/50th as most my shots where not looking so good ( Subject also OOF ) but I do think I need a lot more practice.

There's a thread in the Talk Motorsportxand Transport section that tells you how to process fast shutter shots into "respectable" panning shots. On the phone now so can't link but shout if you can't find it and I'll dig if out for you.

Just had a look and way to complicated for me but thanks and I will just have to rely on more practice :)

Good first time effort Andrew, next time you go try some different compositions with the car not as central or tight in the frame.

Thanks Neil and i have learnt a lot from my first time and most the shots above are crops of the original.

Back