First time shooting rugby...

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
I have no experience with rugby at all as I usually shoot football but I really wanted to go and try to capture those heavy hitting moments that seem to happen so often in rugby. This was a local game between Maidenhead and Beaconsfield. Any constructive criticism would be appreciated, thanks.

_CT27400 by Craig Tull, on Flickr

_CT27448 by Craig Tull, on Flickr

_CT27407 by Craig Tull, on Flickr

_CT27491 by Craig Tull, on Flickr

_CT27582 by Craig Tull, on Flickr

_CT27595 by Craig Tull, on Flickr

Composition good...
No body parts sticking into the picture is excellent :)
Ball in picture
From lower angle

Great job (first or 50th attepmt) but my only niggle would be under exposed.... Oh and the throw in.. needed to be face on really :)

Thanks Kipax for your input. Really appreciated and will try to expose better next time. I can see they are a little dark now. Good tip about the throw in too, I will try to capture a front facing one next time. Luckily I've got this team right where I live so I will definitely be visiting more often :)

Thanks Kipax for your input. Really appreciated and will try to expose better next time. I can see they are a little dark now. Good tip about the throw in too, I will try to capture a front facing one next time. Luckily I've got this team right where I live so I will definitely be visiting more often :)

I ahve done a fair bit of rugby over the years and amazingly its hard work trying to get to a game on a wet day.. I cant choose on the day so always pre planned ........ rugby needs rain and mud IMHO :) If you are able to pick and choose then get there in bad weather... will be fantastic pics then :)

I ahve done a fair bit of rugby over the years and amazingly its hard work trying to get to a game on a wet day.. I cant choose on the day so always pre planned ........ rugby needs rain and mud IMHO :) If you are able to pick and choose then get there in bad weather... will be fantastic pics then :)

I was wondering about the weather side of things Kipax. Can I ask you do you just use waterproofs for the camera and lens or do you have an umbrella or something to keep you and the gear dry?

I am definitely going to try shoot some rugby in the wet and muddy conditions over the coming winter. Thanks mate.

I was wondering about the weather side of things Kipax. Can I ask you do you just use waterproofs for the camera and lens or do you have an umbrella or something to keep you and the gear dry?

I am definitely going to try shoot some rugby in the wet and muddy conditions over the coming winter. Thanks mate.

I wen to Bristol Rovers on sat.. it rained the whole game.... I have a good waterproof coat.. waterproof pants and boots and my camera (although listed as waterproof) had a good quality cover... when I got back to my car... myself and all my equipment was bone dry despite sitting for 2 hrs in the rain :)

So i cover up... The only time I use a brolley is at grass roots sports where I can sit far enough away from the touchline... simply stick the brolley handle down the inside of my coat :) never be near a touchline with a brolley.. ..

Waterproofs are definitely next on my to buy list Kipax seeing as the winter will be approaching us fast from here I bet haha. Yes good point maybe a brolley is a bad idea being so close to touchline and seeing as I only have my 300mm that's where i'll mainly be haha! Thanks ever so much for your help Kipax, lets hope we get some fantastic images this winter ;)

Hooray, an amateur who shoots from a low angle instead of stood up. Finally.

As mentioned, they're all underexposed a bit, and check your white balance they're all possibly a little too warm IMO.

It's a shame you can't see the ball in the first pic.

Lineout (throw in???) from the front or side on next time.

5 is very good I'd be tempted to crop out the assistant ref, but maybe not.

Great first attempt.

Back