First time with a Barn Owl

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I was at Summer Leys watching a Large White Egret, when a fellow birder in the hide suggested we try to find a Barn Owl at dusk. I'd been searching for a good Barn Owl site for several years so I jumped at the chance. 2.5 hours later, we were waiting expectantly at the edge of a grassy field. Lo and behold, at 1750hrs, this beautiful owl appeared. We followed him (?) around and got several shots. Light levels were not great, with the sun hiding behind a cloud at sunset, but now I know where he is I will return on a crisp clear evening.

Barn Owl by Mark Tyrrell, on Flickr

This last one was at ISO25600, so is quite grainy.

Looking very good and I for one would be delighted to have seen and gotten the same :)

It's such a great feeling when you finally find one and get some shots of one, just to sit and watch it hunt without a photo is great too and photos a bonus :) glad you finally found one I seen my first last month.

I love the last and it clearly demonstrates the truthfulness of the adage, 'better a sharp noisy image than a clean blurred one'. :)

…as in fairy tales! Super cool!
What's the halo in #1 to #3?

Last edited:
Some great images there,with you saying yes to editing i did some noise removal on the last one,hope you dont mind.

219299553.jpg

Thanks Photoshop, actually it was too easy to believe,i used focus select which just selected the owl,inverted the selection and two doses of de-speckle on the background,i find if you take the background noise to a lower level its often not necessary to do any thing to the main subject..

Must have been great to see, Mark...all your shots are very good, but I really like #3

…as in fairy tales! Super cool!
What's the halo in #1 to #3?
I can see a halo on here, but not on the originals or the Flickr versions. I have seen this before and wonder if some extra sharpening is added somewhere.

I can see a halo on here, but not on the originals or the Flickr versions. I have seen this before and wonder if some extra sharpening is added somewhere.

I sometimes get this in my BIF images,often the clone stamp set to darken can take most of it away,i think i read it can be contrast fringing.

Back