Critique First time working with models

• Thread starter Deleted sulking member 63079
  • Start date
#3 is absolutely awesome... apart from the damn gate hinge!

#1 has a red dot on it...

I want to like #2 but the slanty verticles are putting me off, but that's probably my issue rather than yours. :LOL:

#4 is nice, vibrant, nice dof and the model really stands out with her pale skin and fiery red hair. Nice exposure too, works well.

Cheers.

I have no idea what the red dot is, it's not on the original file, re-processed it last night and it's gone. These were the only copies I had to hand to upload from work though ;)

and #2 I have straightened last night as well, as when I went back through them it really jarred me as well!

Now that you've pointed out the gate hinge I can't un-see it! haha

Was a fashion workshop ran by Rekha Garton, great fun day, and some good portfolio shots from it. Having never worked with models before, it's certainly given me a bit more confidence in posing people.

Great set of images. Personal opinion only....I'd crop a little off the top and left of the third image so she is similar size to the last image, and clone out that hinge. Maybe you wanted to try something diferrent with this one, but I think she is a little bit "lost" in all that space around her (maybe that is what you wanted given her expression? Lost in thought maybe?). She would still have the wall OoF on the left to lead the viewer into the image.

Great lighting and lovely sharp images, and composition (bar the third one :p), nice work!

Maybe spend a bit of time cloning it out, it's definately worth it imo as for me the image really stands out.

Looks like the 750/85 combo is working really well for you. I follow someone on Flickr who uses the same combo and his portraiture is really special. Keep up the good work mate.

Maybe spend a bit of time cloning it out, it's definately worth it imo as for me the image really stands out.

Looks like the 750/85 combo is working really well for you. I follow someone on Flickr who uses the same combo and his portraiture is really special. Keep up the good work mate.

I may well have a play with cloning it out later, or as suggested above, adjusting the crop. Photoshop is my weak point though! I have a couple more of her from a slightly different angle where the gate isn't in the shot as well.

Loving the 750 / 85 combo, picked up the 85 on here, it's the F1.8D. Took a few with the 17-55 F2.8 as well, which works really well on the 750 from 24mm onwards. (or all of it if you set it to 1.2x mode). Other half has bought me a second speedlight (well, Yongnuo) for valentines day, so now I just need to save up for some better glass :)

The 85's are great lenses. The dof you can achieve even on crop is fab. Looks like you got a good 'un! Also had the 17-55 before, another fab lens but struggled with the way it flared when shooting into direct light. You'll love having an extra flash, gives you so many more options and allows you to be more creative but I do enjoy working with just one.

The 85's are great lenses. The dof you can achieve even on crop is fab. Looks like you got a good 'un! Also had the 17-55 before, another fab lens but struggled with the way it flared when shooting into direct light. You'll love having an extra flash, gives you so many more options and allows you to be more creative but I do enjoy working with just one.

Yeah, going to try the 2 flash setup with my daughter this weekend if she lets me. Have the 622TX controller as well.

Right, Red Dot gone and verticals straightened, plus a few more.

Have had a play with cloning out the gate hinge, but I hate cloning!

DSC_1960-2 by kitsuneandy, on Flickr

DSC_2132-2 by kitsuneandy, on Flickr

DSC_2122-2 by kitsuneandy, on Flickr

DSC_2009-2 by kitsuneandy, on Flickr

DSC_2101-2 by kitsuneandy, on Flickr

Nice. I like the first shot, the PP really suits it. If the second was my shot I'd nuke the yellow stained glass window panels and clone in one of clear ones. And I'd give it a rub over with the defringe tool too as there is some CA around the lead. Again, probably more my issue than yours. :D

Did you figure out what the red dot was?

Nope. just re-exported and it was gone *shrug*

Nice shots.

Editing in the second batch is a bit all over the place though. Consistency for a set is key in my opinion.

Nice shots.

Editing in the second batch is a bit all over the place though. Consistency for a set is key in my opinion.

With some I was just playing with slightly different settings, but when I post them up on my site I'm going to use similarly edited photos. Is there a style from those that you prefer? Or anything you can suggest?

With some I was just playing with slightly different settings, but when I post them up on my site I'm going to use similarly edited photos. Is there a style from those that you prefer? Or anything you can suggest?
Honesty - I'd just make sure they're consistent with your portfolio.

I'm really wrestling with it myself at the moment. Trying to settle on a "style" but I'm struggling.

First and the third one for me. It's definitely an improvement losing the gate but I'd be tempted to crop in a bit more too to lose some of the space above her head.

1 & 3 are outstanding, especially the first one, but they all have merit.

Keep at it!

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback all, much appreciated :)

Back