First try at editing

Name
Tilly
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys
This is an image I posted for this weeks 52's and susiejb suggested I altered some of the levels to try and improve it. I didn't want to go too far with it as I didn't want it to look unnatural but as it's my first try attempt at editing a shot I wasn't sure if I'd done enough or not. The first image is the original and the second is after editing.
Any advice would be appreciated as always :)
Townley Park 10 by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr
Townley Park 10 PP by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr

No idea what it is you changed but I think both images are underexposed as if the camera has exposed on #1 for the foliage but even the foliage seems a bit under. I better say no more as I am clueless on post processing.

EDIT. The foliage looks over exposed not under exposed.

Last edited:
The differences seem more noticeable on Flickr for some reason. Thanks for letting me know you think its underexposed, I've only had my camera for a couple of weeks so I'm still getting used to how it all works

Looks overexposed to me?

OK. I have been to Flickr but I have not way of setting up 2 or 4 images side side by so no further comment on that. What catches my eye is the boy on the left of the picture whose left side and left arm are a bit blown (overexposed). I can't make any useful suggestions as so far my skills are limited to adjusting exposure, showing detail in shadows and that is about it.

So I've had a little play in lightroom mobile (so on my phone).
All I've done is take the exposure down a bit, adjusted the curves (darks and lights), added a very small amount of clarity and adjusted the WB (white balance) to warm it up a smidgen. These are all small adjustments.
I've had to upload this from my phone so the quality is reduced. But I hope you can see the difference. It's not perfect by any means.
LRM_EXPORT_20170925_232953-819x546.jpg

36644710353_a650fc57f0_b.jpg

36644710353_a650fc57f0_b.jpg

My amendments are

approx: -0.5 exposure reduction, highlight recovered by approx 40%, sharpening +25. Later decided to darken a little more with levels +10

Maybe a long way round but I feel its a good improvement and keeping the image natural looking.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys. I've had a go at adjusting the curves as suggested and the exposure. This is what I came up with
Townley Park 10 PP by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr

This one is a lot better Craig, so nice one on the edit. On the 1100D try to keep your ISO under 800 if you can, plus you needed a faster SP ( shutter speed ) than 1/30 :)

Thanks Dave and thanks for the advice on settings I appreciate it

Vibrancy looks a little over cooked for my liking, however its much better than the original

Thanks for the kind offer Dave, unfortunately I ordered that book a couple of days ago from Amazon as I thought it would help me learn how to use my camera better. Thanks again mate

Vibrancy looks a little over cooked for my liking, however its much better than the original

Better, but bring it back a tad, PLUS make sure you are using a calibrated monitor, for me, makes a big difference.....

Thanks for the advice on calibrating my monitor Mark, It was one or 2 out on one thing but most of it was spot on. On the last shot I posted I'd adjusted the blue and green to make them stand out a bit more so I've put them back to the original settings so the colour is less in your face but now looks a little dull. I'll keep playing with it until I get it right. This is all a learning experience after all so thanks again for all the help and advice guys

Back