First try with new Sigma

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
Just got the Sigma 150-600mm C so took it out yesterday for a test. Im more of a macro guy so this was quite the change. thanks for looking

03_zpsd75qw71j.jpg.html]
IMG_3803_zpsd75qw71j.jpg
[/URL]

Some very nice colours there and I like the comp of the Blue Tit.
The 1st three in particular look a little soft, quite in contrast to the last two ... are there some large crops there or is it just getting used to a new lens?
If there are some large crops (or high ISO) it can very easily result in the fine feathers of small birds losing considerable detail ... if it isn't getting used to the lens you might want to consider micro-adjusting, which you can do with the Sigma dock, or with in-camera adjustment depending on the camera you use.

Thank you for the reply. Only the 3rd image had much of a crop out of them. The ISO was jumping way up and I wasnt happy with the results so I restricted it to 800 which then lowered the speed I could shoot at. I was getting around 1/200 and shooting up to 600mm, handheld in pretty dull conditions. I know I should use probably around 1/1000 of a second at 600mm on a crop sensor but the conditions just wouldnt allow for it without going to at least 3200 iso. The lens may need adjusting but Ill need to do a proper test for that.

Just checked on the blue tit picture and it was shot at 800iso, 1/100 of a second at 600mm

Last edited:
Just noticed this post is in the wrong section. Sorry about that.

Thank you for the reply. Only the 3rd image had much of a crop out of them. The ISO was jumping way up and I wasnt happy with the results so I restricted it to 800 which then lowered the speed I could shoot at. I was getting around 1/200 and shooting up to 600mm, handheld in pretty dull conditions. I know I should use probably around 1/1000 of a second at 600mm on a crop sensor but the conditions just wouldnt allow for it without going to at least 3200 iso. The lens may need adjusting but Ill need to do a proper test for that.

Just checked on the blue tit picture and it was shot at 800iso, 1/100 of a second at 600mm

Sadly the light in the UK isn't best suited to just going out to follow our hobby, so often when it comes to my regular days to get out the sky is overcast and the light is gloomy and that makes photography, especially of small birds, challenging. I try never to go below 1/640th with my 500 f4 and even then it should be faster as it's on a crop camera (D500) but the results will so often lack real definition in bird plumage ... 1/100th is really challenging.
I find that a good tripod or beanbag aids the use of a long lens by giving much better stability, if you hand-hold it will be much more challenging.
Keep at it and it will click into place, even then you will have your disappointing days.

I will do thanks. I find the challenge the fun part anyway so Im looking forward to the process. I did a quick high pass sharpen on the blue tit but I dont want to rely on this kinda thing.

Back