First Wedding of the year

I want to reserve my comment on the rendition of these, Tim,
and only that aspect of it.

The first take, for one, is rather on the pasty and flat side of it.
The whites are not white, the mid-tones are quite strong and
they add up to not so spectacular image of what should have
been a vibrant and bright depiction of the happy event.

I would be very curious to have a go at the RAW file… you did
shoot RAW, now, didn't you?

Last edited:
These do nothing for me, I don't like the colours or the compositions, pleased I wasn't paying. No doubt others think they are great.

While I wouldn't put it quite as strongly as Archie, I would prefer photos in a more conventional style. Hopefully B&G selected you because they already liked your work in this manner.

These do nothing for me, I don't like the colours or the compositions, pleased I wasn't paying. No doubt others think they are great.
Perhaps a little more in-depth critique would be useful to the OP?
I think Daniel (Kodiak) has nailed at least a couple of pointers.

I don't usually comment on these wedding shots but I like to look. Can't help but think that first one could be improved a lot though.

As mentioned above, the whites aren't white and there looks to be a huge amount of detail in her dress and the flowers that has been lost. There are a lot more tones available in there I'm sure which would certainly improve the photo. It looks like quite a dull day which hasn't helped matters, but I do think that it hasn't been processed very well.

I think Archie was perhaps a little harsh, but it is down to personal taste.

Personally, I think you've captured a few moments well, but perhaps not with the sort of framing or composition I'd use.
Shot 1: I'd crop to a 5x4 and lose a lot of that boring bland sky. Then I'd warm it up a touch, perhaps so the tones match the 3rd shot a bit more.
Shot 2: I get what you're trying to do, but I'm not sure it works due to the fact the groom is standing open mouthed and there's a lot of distractions in the foreground.
Shot 3: Again a bit too much sky. I wonder if a step to the left while shooting might have reduced the amount of sky and allowed you to see more of his face. Her facial expression is good though.
Shot 4: I would crop this to eliminate so much of that background and if possible bring it down to include more of their bodies particularly as her arm is cut off slightly. I would probably also lighten it up a touch too.

It's easy to be critical on a forum, and I know you produce great images, but I wonder if a few tweaks to these or a different version (with different framing for example) of the image might make them better.

But, it is subjective. You're the creator, it's your style which persumably the couple liked.

Just my 2p. Hope it's helpful, if not, ignore me, no hard feelings. ;)

I want to reserve my comment on the rendition of these, Tim,
and only that aspect of it.

The first take, for one, is rather on the pasty and flat side of it.
The whites are not white, the mid-tones are quite strong and
they add up to not so spectacular image of what should have
been a vibrant and bright depiction of the happy event.

I would be very curious to have a go at the RAW file… you did
shoot RAW, now, didn't you?

Thanks for your input, I do shoot RAW. I'll post up if I get a few spare minutes.

Cracking work Tim! The first is a stunner!

Thanks Danny.

Make you feel better did it?

While I wouldn't put it quite as strongly as Archie, I would prefer photos in a more conventional style. Hopefully B&G selected you because they already liked your work in this manner.

The B&G were super chuffed with their photographs, as was I.

Perhaps a little more in-depth critique would be useful to the OP?
I think Daniel (Kodiak) has nailed at least a couple of pointers.

This!

I don't usually comment on these wedding shots but I like to look. Can't help but think that first one could be improved a lot though.

As mentioned above, the whites aren't white and there looks to be a huge amount of detail in her dress and the flowers that has been lost. There are a lot more tones available in there I'm sure which would certainly improve the photo. It looks like quite a dull day which hasn't helped matters, but I do think that it hasn't been processed very well.

It was very dull and we had about 5 minutes before the heavens opened, so pleased with what we did get.

I think Archie was perhaps a little harsh, but it is down to personal taste.

Personally, I think you've captured a few moments well, but perhaps not with the sort of framing or composition I'd use.
Shot 1: I'd crop to a 5x4 and lose a lot of that boring bland sky. Then I'd warm it up a touch, perhaps so the tones match the 3rd shot a bit more.
Shot 2: I get what you're trying to do, but I'm not sure it works due to the fact the groom is standing open mouthed and there's a lot of distractions in the foreground.
Shot 3: Again a bit too much sky. I wonder if a step to the left while shooting might have reduced the amount of sky and allowed you to see more of his face. Her facial expression is good though.
Shot 4: I would crop this to eliminate so much of that background and if possible bring it down to include more of their bodies particularly as her arm is cut off slightly. I would probably also lighten it up a touch too.

It's easy to be critical on a forum, and I know you produce great images, but I wonder if a few tweaks to these or a different version (with different framing for example) of the image might make them better.

But, it is subjective. You're the creator, it's your style which persumably the couple liked.

Just my 2p. Hope it's helpful, if not, ignore me, no hard feelings. ;)

I appreciate all feedback Alistair, for the first shot I don't crop to anything but 6x4 so the couple don't have any issues printing. Number two was what it was at the time, didn't want to distract shooting through a crowd when something could've happened in the other direction. Number 3, I'm not much of a frame filler, like to include the surroundings but I'll have a play. And I kind of agree with number 4 but it's what I got at the time, things were rushed as I didn't want to get wet ;)

And it is easy to be critical on here, and I appreciate peoples viewpoints even those that aren't helpful eh @Archie747 ? Seems the overriding factor is people don't like the processing and you know what? I can live with that. The B&G loved their photos so that is good enough for me.

Apologies if I was harsh and short of detail but my post reflected my impression of your photos and gave my main issues. Photography is a matter of personal taste and style. The replies from others are hardly overly positive. My eldest daughter has just got married so wedding photos are very topical for us.

I didn't mean to offend.

Apologies if I was harsh and short of detail but my post reflected my impression of your photos and gave my main issues. Photography is a matter of personal taste and style. The replies from others are hardly overly positive. My eldest daughter has just got married so wedding photos are very topical for us.

I didn't mean to offend.

No doubt you didn't mean to offend, however for future reference your crit should have read:

"These do nothing for me, I don't like the colours or the compositions...(and then the reasons why...)".

Whether or not you're glad you didn't pay for them is utterly irrelevant, borderline rude and nothing but insulting to the OP.

Internet forms would be a much better place if everyone adopted the rule that you shouldn't say in a forum post what you wouldn't say in a pub without risk of a smack in the mouth.

without risk of a

… right, Danny… how many times I would have liked to have someone
standing in front of me repeating what was said. Fora are a good place
to forget one's instinct of survival. :D

I still stand by my comments although I accept they are out of line given the comments above. End of topic for me.

Last edited:
...well I really like them, especially the mirror shot, it's a great idea to get lots of faces in whilst keeping the attention on the couple.

Back