Fish Supper

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
How much is a Fish Supper (2 piece) in your area? We hardly ever get fish and chips but I just asked for three fish suppers and they wanted £22 from me! I don't remember it being so expensive.

Depends on the size of the fish (and the species, although I'm guessing haddock for a "fish supper".) Around £7 - £7.50 sounds about right, although it's been a while since I had a chippy take away.

I usually only get them on holiday, and I think it was £6.50 last summer.

our local Chinese chippy does a massive bit of proper cod and a large portion of chips for around a fiver .you can get smaller portions though

Regular Cod and half a portion of chips £6.10

Regular chips portion is massive

£5.50 near me for superb Fish and Chips but they stop serving at 9:00 or when they run out of fish because they buy fresh every day.

our local Chinese chippy does a massive bit of proper cod and a large portion of chips for around a fiver
Same here, we used to have a couple of "traditional" fish and chip shops local, but they have since been taken over as kebab / spicy chicken etc etc shops.
The Fish and chip shop next to the Chinese take away, is run by the same family. TBH the don't do a bad job of traditional fish and chips.
The best one, before he sold out and went home, was run by a guy from Pakistan.
Its now run by Polish, and they still have a fair bit to learn.
Their Doner kebabs aren't bad though ...

Last time I bought cod and chips for the three of us it was about 18 or 19 quid.

Used to be a cheap meal when I was a kid, always had at least one nights dinner from the chippy usually a Friday.

Fish & Chips is about 5-6 quid
30% dearer at the coast, 60% dearer in Newquay and 100% in Landan.

On a side, I was in Looe last year at a F&C restaurant, while we were sat at a table deciding, a load of blokes came in delivering fish on sack carts.
The streets are narrow in Looe and the Lorry they came in was parked right up to the restaurant window, it wasn't difficult to read the origin of the delivery, it was from Hull.
Can't explain it, there is reason I'm sure but there's something just not right about that carry on.:cautious:

Fish & Chips is about 5-6 quid
30% dearer at the coast, 60% dearer in Newquay and 100% in Landan.

On a side, I was in Looe last year at a F&C restaurant, while we were sat at a table deciding, a load of blokes came in delivering fish on sack carts.
The streets are narrow in Looe and the Lorry they came in was parked right up to the restaurant window, it wasn't difficult to read the origin of the delivery, it was from Hull.
Can't explain it, there is reason I'm sure but there's something just not right about that carry on.:cautious:
Why?

Excessive food miles? Brixham is a hell of a lot closer and has a big fish market so would be a more logical choice.

£5.80 in my favourite place in York - regular haddock and chips

No idea. It's been about 10 years since I had one.
I love the smell but I find they are always too greasy/oily for me.

Excessive food miles? Brixham is a hell of a lot closer and has a big fish market so would be a more logical choice.

Indeed, but Brixham fish is of a superior quality (allegedly).
Most Devon/Cornwall fishermen can get better money selling their catch further afield (and you might be surprised how far afield).
Your average chippy isn't prepared to pay those prices. Getting it in from Hull, even factoring in transport costs, is cheaper.

As for the price of shop bought fish and chips in Kent, I really couldn't say. I gave up years ago, trying to get decent fish and chips down here. They're clueless. :LOL:

I can remember buying a Haggis supper on the way home from swimming for 16p, it costs a little bit more than that now...

I’ll never forget going into a local town with my cousin to what he described as the ‘best chippie round here’ and what they served would have had them shut down in Donny.

I think it’s about £6 round here, but 2 portions is too much for 3 healthy appetites.

Getting it in from Hull, even factoring in transport costs, is cheaper.

Its worse than even that, most of it imported from Iceland to Immingham and then distributed from there across the country, don't even think there's much fishing out of Hull or Grimsby these days, I dunno, its just a hub for processing/distribution.
This is obviously a determining economic factor.
Another one for the Brexit/Remain brigade probably

Still prefer pie mash and liquor ,that and hot salt beef sandwiches the only things I miss about London

We don't usually get fish n chips but last year in Cambridge we got a shock............ Fish n chips twice and nothing else = £20 yes £20

Not had it for a few months. Used to be £6 when I last looked (with mushy peas).

Also, I've posted this in the jokes thread but seems apt here:

A bloke starts his new job at the zoo and is given three tasks. First is to clear the exotic fish pool of weeds. As he does this a huge fish jumps out and bites him.
To show who is boss he beats it to death with a spade. Realising his employer won't be best pleased he disposes of the fish by feeding it to the lions, as lions will eat anything.

Moving on to the second job of clearing out the Chimp house, he is attacked by the chimps who pelt him with coconuts. He swipes at two chimps with a spade,killing them both. What can he do?
Feed them to the lions, he says to himself, because lions eat anything. He hurls the corpses into the lion enclosure.

He moves on to the last job, which is to collect honey from the South American Bees. As soon as he starts he is attacked by the bees. He grabs the spade and smashes the bees to a pulp.
By now he knows what to do and throws them into the lions cage because lions eat anything.

Later that day a new lion arrives at the zoo. He wanders up to another lionand says "What's the food like here?"

The lions say: "Absolutely brilliant. Today we had Fish and Chimps with Mushy Bees."

How much is a Fish Supper (2 piece) in your area? We hardly ever get fish and chips but I just asked for three fish suppers and they wanted £22 from me! I don't remember it being so expensive.

That's about the same for us in our local one in Hampshire - all around the same price round here apart from one shop that's run by a Chinese family. They are legendary for their chips portions - ask for a large portion and you can genuinely feed a family of four!! Makes it worthwhile to get value for money BUT their fish isn't cooked so great - swings and roundabouts eh

The local chippy that we usually go to (8 miles away!) is great but they're expensive so fish and chips for seven is close to £50. I bought my wife a commercial grade counter top deep fat fryer a few months ago and now we do our own fish and chips.

I've just about perfected the beer batter and if we have time I'll do some triple cooked chips - much more cost effective but still takes bloody ages to feed them all!

Went to our New local today.
Two 1/4 chicken
One small cod
One large battered sausage
One large chips
Curry sauce
Mushy peas.

£17.70.

Not horrendous but a lot more than we used to pay when we lived in the city.
I used to pay £4.20 for half a chicken and large chips and the portion sizes were a hell of a lot bigger.

As for the price of shop bought fish and chips in Kent, I really couldn't say. I gave up years ago, trying to get decent fish and chips down here. They're clueless. :LOL:

It is absolute rubbish considering our coastline. We cannot even get any decent wet fish unless we go to Whitstable Harbour or down to Rye. We last had fish and chips at Christmas from Papas Barn near Aylesford, and that was really good for about £14 for the two of us.

when I lived in Glasgow a fish supper was massive, it came in a box and was 2x big fish and massive chips and about £8

£6 from our local for a 2 piece haddock. Huge and I can demolish one in one sitting.

It is absolute rubbish considering our coastline. We cannot even get any decent wet fish unless we go to Whitstable Harbour or down to Rye. We last had fish and chips at Christmas from Papas Barn near Aylesford, and that was really good for about £14 for the two of us.

I work quite near Papas Barn and I have to say I found it hugely overrated. And bloody expensive. £3.20 for small chips.

£5.57 for fish chips and large mushy peas near me.

I work quite near Papas Barn and I have to say I found it hugely overrated. And bloody expensive. £3.20 for small chips.

Wow! That must be the eating in price?
I think that we have been there three or four times, and never (touch wood) had a bad meal. Always a takeaway though.

Wow! That must be the eating in price?
I think that we have been there three or four times, and never (touch wood) had a bad meal. Always a takeaway though.
No that's lunch time takeaway!
We go to the one over the road from there now. :)

They do do nice fish and chips in Rye - went there last year for the wife's birthday and had a great supper. Not sure which shop but near the harbour.

Talking of Kent, my Ma & Pa live in Charing and I often visit them - the fish and chips shops at both Hothfield and Lenham are pretty good

No that's lunch time takeaway!
We go to the one over the road from there now. :)

Is that the one, where you turn left out of Papas and it is on the right of the A20? I think we used to go there years ago, when we ate more fish and chips than is probably healthy:rolleyes:

Back