1. viv1969

viv1969

Name:
    Bat-Frog
    Edit My Images:
    No
    That's the fella.
    The queues out the door tell a story. :)
    I guess like everything though, it's each to their own.

andy700 likes this.
  2. woof woof

woof woof

Name:
    Alan
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Fish and chips at my local is £5.10, I can't remember how much fish is by itself.

There seems to be a problem with batter these days, it often largely melts by the time I've got the f&C home. I gather many places use a ready made mix but the local place swears they make their own, whatever it is all of the local shops batter seems to suffer the same fate... it melts by the time you get it home.

Does anyone else have this?

3. onomatopoeia

onomatopoeia

Name:
    Mark
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    £5.35 for regular cod and chips where I go. The other chippy on the high street is £7.50 for the same and it's not as good.

I don't know what a "two piece fish supper " is.

4. Marc

Marc Mucky Rims Staff Member

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    We haven't had Fish & Chips for a while so couldn't tell you how much they are but around the £6 sounds about right.

We used to go to a chippy that was run by a chinese couple and they were queueing out the door. She used to call out to people along the queue to take their orders but never wrote anything down and, as far as I'm aware, she never got it wrong. By the time you got to the front of the queue, your order was being wrapped. I've heard that they have just retired.

On a related note, another one we used to go to has just received a food hygiene rating of 1 :eek:

5. Byker28i

Byker28i

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    or the Cod comes from the north sea, so is landed at Hull?

6. viv1969

viv1969

Name:
    Bat-Frog
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Aye, but not all fish in chippies is cod. ;)

andy700 likes this.
  7. Byker28i

Byker28i

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    When I worked in Newbury, we had a brilliant fishmonger just about half a mile away. Daily fresh fish deliveries from Hull and Brixham. Different quality and types of fish from each market, he said.

Actually was in Brixham just a couple of weeks ago, we walked Berry Head then had crispy fried sprats from rockfish. Yum
    https://www.therockfish.co.uk

8. Marc

Marc Mucky Rims Staff Member

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    True but, if you ask for fish & chips or a fish supper, they generally will assume cod.

9. Byker28i

Byker28i

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    It should be said that @joxby ate at the wrong place (plaice) at Looe. In the harbour carpark is a mobile trailer that cooks fish fillets fresh and serves them in Pita bread with freshly cut salad, sauce. Delicious and cheap..

10. Nod

Nod Kronus

Name:
    Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
    Edit My Images:
    No

Did you manage to avoid Mifsuds while you were in Brixham?

11. Byker28i

Byker28i

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Yup forgot all about them. Bought my crispy sprats and ate them on the benches around the harbour, whilst taking photos :)
    I can always go down again, we have friends in Teignmouth who we'd gone walking with and I'm working on projects in Exeter at the moment

12. Nod

Nod Kronus

Name:
    Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Look out for the current roadworks in Dawlish and the works on the A380 very near the Teignmouth junction... Got caught up in the A380 one on the way to see a mate yesterday so came home via Dawlish!

13. andy700

andy700

Name:
    andy
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

I much prefer Haddock, or if I am doing it at home, then Plaice in a little seasoned flour, quickly pan fried.
    There is a little fishmongers on the way out of Rye as you head towards Camber, and they used to sell four small Plaice for a fiver. I could still fillet them and they were delish!

14. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi

Name:
    Rich
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Used to be a chippy in Theobalds Road, Holborn, right opposite the nick, always banged out, must say their grub was excellent

15. andy700

andy700

Name:
    andy
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

I have been there a few times, the Fryers Delight I think. I used to work in Bedford Row.

16. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi

Name:
    Rich
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Know it well, got my mortgage from the Nat West on the corner of Bedford Row and Theobalds Rd.
    Been known to have a pint or two in the Three Cups which was between Bedford Row and Red Lion St

17. stryvya

stryvya

Name:
    Lennard
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    And you can get a decent Pasty for £2.50 to £3.00,

Use Cornish lads like to get our prioritys right.

18. Nod

Nod Kronus

Name:
    Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
    Edit My Images:
    No
    You can get a s***e one from Tescos for £1.60!

Must be time for a trip down to Tintagel for a box of Pengenna's finest pasties.

19. andy700

andy700

Name:
    andy
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

Back in the nineties, our lunchtime local was the Three Cups, and then in the evening, the Dolphin in Red Lion Street, or on a Friday the Sun in Lambs Conduit Street or possibly the Lamb.

tijuana taxi likes this.