Fish Supper

Is that the one, where you turn left out of Papas and it is on the right of the A20? I think we used to go there years ago, when we ate more fish and chips than is probably healthy:rolleyes:

That's the fella.
The queues out the door tell a story. :)
I guess like everything though, it's each to their own.

Fish and chips at my local is £5.10, I can't remember how much fish is by itself.

There seems to be a problem with batter these days, it often largely melts by the time I've got the f&C home. I gather many places use a ready made mix but the local place swears they make their own, whatever it is all of the local shops batter seems to suffer the same fate... it melts by the time you get it home.

Does anyone else have this?

£5.35 for regular cod and chips where I go. The other chippy on the high street is £7.50 for the same and it's not as good.

I don't know what a "two piece fish supper " is.

We haven't had Fish & Chips for a while so couldn't tell you how much they are but around the £6 sounds about right.

We used to go to a chippy that was run by a chinese couple and they were queueing out the door. She used to call out to people along the queue to take their orders but never wrote anything down and, as far as I'm aware, she never got it wrong. By the time you got to the front of the queue, your order was being wrapped. I've heard that they have just retired.

On a related note, another one we used to go to has just received a food hygiene rating of 1 :eek:

Indeed, but Brixham fish is of a superior quality (allegedly).
Most Devon/Cornwall fishermen can get better money selling their catch further afield (and you might be surprised how far afield).
Your average chippy isn't prepared to pay those prices. Getting it in from Hull, even factoring in transport costs, is cheaper.

or the Cod comes from the north sea, so is landed at Hull?

When I worked in Newbury, we had a brilliant fishmonger just about half a mile away. Daily fresh fish deliveries from Hull and Brixham. Different quality and types of fish from each market, he said.

Actually was in Brixham just a couple of weeks ago, we walked Berry Head then had crispy fried sprats from rockfish. Yum
https://www.therockfish.co.uk

It should be said that @joxby ate at the wrong place (plaice) at Looe. In the harbour carpark is a mobile trailer that cooks fish fillets fresh and serves them in Pita bread with freshly cut salad, sauce. Delicious and cheap..

When I worked in Newbury, we had a brilliant fishmonger just about half a mile away. Daily fresh fish deliveries from Hull and Brixham. Different quality and types of fish from each market, he said.

Actually was in Brixham just a couple of weeks ago, we walked Berry Head then had crispy fried sprats from rockfish. Yum
https://www.therockfish.co.uk

Did you manage to avoid Mifsuds while you were in Brixham?

Did you manage to avoid Mifsuds while you were in Brixham?
Yup forgot all about them. Bought my crispy sprats and ate them on the benches around the harbour, whilst taking photos :)
I can always go down again, we have friends in Teignmouth who we'd gone walking with and I'm working on projects in Exeter at the moment

Look out for the current roadworks in Dawlish and the works on the A380 very near the Teignmouth junction... Got caught up in the A380 one on the way to see a mate yesterday so came home via Dawlish!

Aye, but not all fish in chippies is cod. ;)

I much prefer Haddock, or if I am doing it at home, then Plaice in a little seasoned flour, quickly pan fried.
There is a little fishmongers on the way out of Rye as you head towards Camber, and they used to sell four small Plaice for a fiver. I could still fillet them and they were delish!

Used to be a chippy in Theobalds Road, Holborn, right opposite the nick, always banged out, must say their grub was excellent

I have been there a few times, the Fryers Delight I think. I used to work in Bedford Row.

Know it well, got my mortgage from the Nat West on the corner of Bedford Row and Theobalds Rd.
Been known to have a pint or two in the Three Cups which was between Bedford Row and Red Lion St

And you can get a decent Pasty for £2.50 to £3.00,

Use Cornish lads like to get our prioritys right.

You can get a s***e one from Tescos for £1.60!

Must be time for a trip down to Tintagel for a box of Pengenna's finest pasties.

Reactions: mex
Know it well, got my mortgage from the Nat West on the corner of Bedford Row and Theobalds Rd.
Been known to have a pint or two in the Three Cups which was between Bedford Row and Red Lion St

Back in the nineties, our lunchtime local was the Three Cups, and then in the evening, the Dolphin in Red Lion Street, or on a Friday the Sun in Lambs Conduit Street or possibly the Lamb.

Crab supper in Rye, just a bill In the pond and no queuing at the Kettle of Fish. Shot at Rye Harbour East SussexDSC_0053 (2).jpg

£8.40 for large haddock and too many chips for a treat from my local.

... but normally I have the £3.50 pensioner special which is a small cod and enough chips! :)

We've been ordering Fish & Chips via Just Eat since lockdown but it works out a bit more expensive due to minimum order for delivery.

Haddock/Plaice
Chips
Curry sauce
Onion rings
1 ltr diet Coke.

Comes to £17 (inc delivery & service charge) but that feeds both of us.

Holy thread revival batman!

Sick squid here.

(see what I did there?)

I don't care about the thread date. Fish and chips is always worth talking about.

This thread should live FOREVER!

Fish and chip isn't so much a thing over here, more likely Battered sausage and chip/curry chip/snack box - and it's about €6-7. One of my daughters likes a fish and chip now and then, the odd time we do order take away, and I'm sure it was about €7.50 last time we ordered. That's about what? £6.80 - so not far off what you're paying

LOL, just noticed how old this thread is, oh well ... prices haven't changed much

Last edited:
Back