FishyFish's Contact Sheets

You did well, I count 38 frames there. Maybe you're rolling your own.

I see quite a lot of interesting frames there: 7, 8, 27, 30, 32 & 37

You did well, I count 38 frames there. Maybe you're rolling your own.

I see quite a lot of interesting frames there: 7, 8, 27, 30, 32 & 37

A a born and bred Yorkshireman I like to get good value for money. I think 39 frames is my record, and all from commercially produced rolls. :)

I was pretty happy with this roll as a whole. Quite a lot which I like (although a few duff ones too - mostly the long landscapes in #5, #10, & #11, which I think either need more detail, or perhaps some better foreground elements to draw in the viewer.

Quite a lot which I like (although a few duff ones too - mostly the long landscapes in #5, #10, & #11, which I think either need more detail, or perhaps some better foreground elements to draw in the viewer.

It is tricky, the contact print images that have impact are like the pictures that grab you from the far side of the gallery - up close they may still deliver, or not. But, of course, the picture that does not grab your attention from the far side of the gallery may not ever get a closer look.

Contact Sheet #85

So, finally, here we have my final roll of 2020. Once again, a roll through the GW690. Not my best roll of the year, but a few I like here. #1, #2. & #4 are record shots, I suppose. The one with the row of shots will likely be much more interesting in a few decades time when everything has changes and the cars look really old (although I think that Rover is pushing the envelope a little already!). The signalbox in #4 is scheduled for demolition so I'm glad that I've taken a number of photos of it over the last few years. It'll be sad to see it gone, but there are also potential plans for a new station for tram-trains, which may provide new oppoertunities for pictures if it comes to fruition. Of the roll, #5 and #8 are my favourites. Perhaps some pylon bias in there, but I like the pictures regardless. Frame #7 is slightly soft-focused. Probably not enough to be noticed in general viewing, but enough that I can see it.

I'm not sure whether I'll continue to publish more sheets as 2021 gets up to speed (I've one roll scanned so far, and two more waiting to be developed), but I'll see. I do like the feedback and the opportunity to see other peoples work in this format.

Fujica GW690
Ilford HP5+

2020-12-29 Fujica GW690 Ilford HP5+
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

It's funny how images get compared on a contact sheet. "Is 1 better than 4?" even though they are completely different. I do think it's a good exercise which is why I refuse to let mine die and (thankfully) @Boots is still going.

All the shots are Nige-tastic, but 3, 5 and 8 are just really nice. With the general snow theme, I'd be tempted to lift everything by a stop because of meter-idiocy-in-snow, but even 5 would struggle to fail to get a https://www.pylonofthemonth.org/ award. Please submit!!!

I really like 3 and 8.

I hope you will continue to post contact sheets, but I quite understand if you don't.

Contact Sheet #86 (2021-#01)

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in... ;)

Sheet number one of 2021, and with a distinctively lockdowny feel. #1-2, and #10-12 shot in the house using one of the close-up lenses I have for the Yashica Mat. The rest of the shots on a lunchtime "exercise" walk. I suspect most of my stuff for the next few weeks will have a similar tone. I also feel slightly limited in how much time I have to make photos due to my starting Couch to 5K which involves three runs per week. I'm not sure a camera would take the hammering that my plodding jogging would throw at it, but more likely because I wouldn't have the energy to make any photos anyway. Maybe when I've gotten fitter, eh? In the meantime, I'll have to try and squash a few walks in on the days when I'm not running,.

Yashica Mat 124G
Ilford HP5+

2021-01-10 Yashica Mat 124G Ilford HP5+

Welcome back! Glad you could stay.

Nice light in frame 3. I like 4 (think I may have "liked" that elsewhere?) and 9.

What's the "folder" in 10 - sorry I'm sure you've said elsewhere, but I didn't pay enough attention. I'm presently trying convince myself I do NOT need a 6x6. I'm struggling decide if I do NOT need a "folder" more than a TLR. Any helpful advice?

Welcome back! Glad you could stay.

Nice light in frame 3. I like 4 (think I may have "liked" that elsewhere?) and 9.

What's the "folder" in 10 - sorry I'm sure you've said elsewhere, but I didn't pay enough attention. I'm presently trying convince myself I do NOT need a 6x6. I'm struggling decide if I do NOT need a "folder" more than a TLR. Any helpful advice?

Thanks Paul.

The folder is a Zeiss Mess-Ikonta 524/16. It's a 6x6 uncoupled rangefinder. It makes very nice photos and can fit in a pocket when folded. The uncoupled rangefinder slows the process of making an image a little, but not too much (although it does have a little hyperfocal marker on the focus ring that will allow you to use it as a fixed focus camera if the conditions suit).

Contact Sheet #87 (2021-#02)

A snowy day three weeks ago and my wife had a birthday card that needed to be posted, so I decided to do it for her and also take a walk and make some photos in the snow. I wasn't sure which camera to take as the snow was coming down quite heavily and was of the sort of fat, wet flakes that wouldn't do non-weathersealed cameras much good. So I decided on the Holga. It's almost entirely plastic, so has at least some degree of waterproofing (even if it will undoubtedly very easily get into any of the gaps in the case). Anyway, the simplicity of the Holgas function means no need to do anything other than set the focus distance and press the shutter. The single shutter speed and choice of just two apertures (and I pretty much always use the f/8 setting anyway) also negate any need to bother metering the scene. The only concession I made to metering was a rough sunny-16 calculation based on the HP5+ I used and then the decision to push the roll by a stop to make sure the snow was nice and bright.

I'm happy with this roll and have several images I really like, with #9 & #10 being the best. The Holga always seems to surprise me with images that work out better than I hoped.

Holga 120N
Iford HP5+ (@800)

2021-01-14 Holga 120N Ilford HP5+(@800)

Nice set - I have admired a number of these elsewhere. I agree with you on 9 - very strong composition (in my opinion). I find 10 let down a little by the mass of footprints and wheel tracks in the snow, above the "horizon" it's great. 11 looks interesting too.

Back