FishyFish's Contact Sheets

Love the architecture shots with the colour on the doors and balconies (?) 16 & 18 strike me as the strongest, and I wonder if having such small images on a contact sheet makes the strong ones really stand out. Did you have any favourites when you looked at it as a sheet?

Really like frame 20 too. Thos lines all going the same way really appeals to my sense of order :)

Must order me some colour plus... I have a hankering to shoot colour at the moment. Not sure if it's because of the skies... I really like colour plus too.

Love the architecture shots with the colour on the doors and balconies (?) 16 & 18 strike me as the strongest, and I wonder if having such small images on a contact sheet makes the strong ones really stand out. Did you have any favourites when you looked at it as a sheet?

Really like frame 20 too. Thos lines all going the same way really appeals to my sense of order :)

Must order me some colour plus... I have a hankering to shoot colour at the moment. Not sure if it's because of the skies... I really like colour plus too.

I like 16 & 18 a lot too, and agree that they're among the strongest on the roll. #11 was the one that grabbed me most when I first saw the scans - it's super sharp, and I really like the red soor and the contrasty light on the tyres. I quite like #15 too - I like the wire chairs and the shadows they cast. And yeah, it's a cruel twist by mother nature that she's blessing us with glorious blue skies at a time when we're confined to barracks. Clear blue skies aren't the most interesting thing, but they can work really nicely on colour film, especially with some nice contrasty light.

FILM - Empty chairs
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

FILM - Park Hill ping-pong

Empty chairs is really good for the current situation IMHO, captures the mood perfectly.

Empty chairs is really good for the current situation IMHO, captures the mood perfectly.

They all look like they're 2m (ish) apart... :gloom emote:

Contact Sheet #15

I'm getting a little behind with these. This roll was shot at the end of Feb / start of March and I've got almost half-a-dozen rolls that I've had developed since then (although not yet all scanned - I'm stretching them out a bit in case I'm unable to shoot much during the lockdown).

Frames #1-8 were shot on an outing up town, #9-17 are family snaps (including a few where I buggered up the focusing as is right and proper for such occasions). The latter half of the roll (#18-#37) was shot on the same outing as the ColorPlus from the last sheet.

Once again, I'm really impressed by the saturated colours the Lomography film produces. The camera is a nice performer too, although I think mine is faulty. Sometimes it just decided not to fire for a while, and switching it off and back on again (in true IT Crowd style) would result in a groaning, grunting sound instead of the usual whirr. After a while it would come out of it's sulk and then work perfectly again.

Looking at these, it's odd how much the world has changed in the space of just a few weeks. I'm aching for the chance to just wander around somewhere other than my back-yard taking photos.

Canon Sure Shot Supreme
Lomography Color Negative 400

2020-020-28,29 & 2020-03-01 Canon Sure Shot Supreme Lomography Color Negative 400

Woah, those reds really pop don't they!

I think I settled on Lomo 800 as my colour film of choice. Cheap, cheerful and versatile. These look really nice Nige. Frame 9 made me smile. I have a picture of me that looks pretty much the same, except for the fact that the computer was a ZX Spectrum :) That Avocado wallpaper... Is it woodchip? Really like #20 & 21 too for the colours and your PoV.

Woah, those reds really pop don't they!

I think I settled on Lomo 800 as my colour film of choice. Cheap, cheerful and versatile. These look really nice Nige. Frame 9 made me smile. I have a picture of me that looks pretty much the same, except for the fact that the computer was a ZX Spectrum :) That Avocado wallpaper... Is it woodchip? Really like #20 & 21 too for the colours and your PoV.

It would have been a Spectrum for me too (although I later switched sides to a Commodore 64, the traitor that I am :)). It's just paint on the walls, not woodchip.

I've not tried the Lomo 800 (or the 100 for that matter) but am keen to give them a go, once we're allowed out again at least. I still have a couple of rolls of Portra 800 that I got in my Secret Santa last year though, so I'll use those first before dipping into the Lomo 800 pond.

Contact Sheet #16

A roll of FP4+ shot through my Holga for this year's #FP4Party.

The first six frames are a little lacklustre in terms of subject matter (and frame 6 is an accidental double-exposure to boot!). The next five were shot in the house without much hopes of anything decent, but actually produced a bunch of photos that I really like - especially the bathroom mirror image. The last frame was shot to finish off the roll while out for a walk - it's a subject I've photographed on a number of occasions (and have snapped again since while out on my pandemic exercise outings).

Holga 120N
Ilford FP4+

2020-03-03,10 Holga 120N Ilford FP4+

I really like 7, 8 & 9. Proper punchy contrast & moody shadows. My kind of B&W photography. I think portraits of inanimate objects can be very interesting images in their own right. Must have a go at something similar...

#9 for me but there is also something about #1 which appeals to me

Thanks Chris. I think I took #1 because I liked the way the building was illuminated. The white of the soffits, facias, bargeboards and drainpipes add some nice framing to the house.

#7 is my personal favourite from the roll - I was surprised and very happy when I saw that one emerge from the scan.

Contact Sheet #17

A little over a week before the country entered into lock-down, I paid a trip to Wakefield with my wife and sister-in-law. They went for a walk around the shops, while I headed off to The Hepworth, where an exhibition exploring the works of Bill Brandt and Henry Moore was taking place. I went with more interest in seeing Brandt's photography than Moore's art, but the latter's sculpture is a joy to behold in person. This entire roll of film was shot while in the gallery.

Minolta SRT 101b
Ilford HP5+ (@800)

2020-03-14 Minolta SRT 101b Ilford HP5+ (@800)

I like where you used the lighting and composition to make your own photographs instead of just documenting what was there. Frame 26 really stands out for me. Also 10, 15, 17, 19 & 33. Wish I could get that hit rate off a roll!

Nice work indeed Nige.

I like where you used the lighting and composition to make your own photographs instead of just documenting what was there. Frame 26 really stands out for me. Also 10, 15, 17, 19 & 33. Wish I could get that hit rate off a roll!

Nice work indeed Nige.

Thanks Ian.

My intention was to do some street photography stuff in the gallery. There are usually lots of interesting compositions to be found and people tend to be focused on the art, not photographers. :) There are a few "record shot" type photos too though - it's hard to resist when the works are so striking.

Frames 10, 16 & 28 didn't quite come out how I'd intended - each features a person framed through a gap in a piece of sculpture, but I didn't really get the focus how I wanted. Mybe next time, eh?

I think there is something photogenic about Moore's sculptures and the light in the Hepworth is, I'm sure by design, good for sculpture. Usual high quality, crisp work Nige, 22 catches my eye, as does 1 and 19.

Contact Sheet #18

Apart from frame #1 and frames #27 onwards, these were shot in Wakefield on the same day as sheet 17 (above). Theses were on my walks between the car and The Hepworth though. The final 11 frames are from a trip I made to Magpie Mine a couple of days after visiting Wakefield (about a week before the lock-down was imposed). My Sure Shot Supreme produces lovely sharp photographs, but is tempremental - it has a recurrent, but irregular problem whereby it refuses to fire, instead making a little groaning sound. I've not idea as to the cause, why it's irregular, or why it suddenly springs back to life!

Canon Sure Shot Supreme
Ilford Delta 400

2020-03-14,16 Canon Sure Shot Supreme Ilford Delta 400

I think there is something photogenic about Moore's sculptures and the light in the Hepworth is, I'm sure by design, good for sculpture. Usual high quality, crisp work Nige, 22 catches my eye, as does 1 and 19.

Thanks Chris. Sorry for the delayed response - for some reason, while I get regular notifications for threads in TF&C, they're hit and miss in other parts of the forum.

It was nice to see the sculptures "in the flesh" so to speak. Sculpture is one of theose things that doesn't really attact my attention in general, but which I can appreciate when I see it in person. Moore's drawings don't really do anything for me, but his sculptures are lovely.

Heh, and a delayed response here! Didn't realise you put another roll up.

I sold my Sureshot because of that, and because of the force you have to apply to the shutter. Doubled my money!

Really like the look of frame 11, and 14/15 look good too. Would like to see a bigger 24 too.

Overall a nice roll.

I find that I miss alerts too, like I missed the alert for your latest roll. I remember shooting something like 7 myself when I was there and the tones in 9 really catch my eye.

Contact Sheet #19

As Expired Film Day (EFD) 2020 was rolling around, I decided to dig out a roll of 30-year out-of-date Kodacolor Gold that I had in the freezer. The shots for EFD are supposed to be shot over the space of a weekend - Friday to Sunday, but the weather was poor on that weekend, so only the first two frames were shot on those days. The remainder were shot the following Monday on a trip to Magpie Mine in the Peak District. Frame #4 won one of the categories, although I doubt I'll get the prize as it was for free develop and scan of a single roll - the kicker being that the lab is on the other side of the Atlantic. Oh well...

Zeiss Mess-Ikonta
Kodak Kodacolor Gold 200 (expired 1989)

2020-03-16 Zeiss Mess-Ikonta 524-16 Kodacolor Gold 200 (expired 1989)

Contact Sheet #20

Shot on the same visit to Magpie Mine as the expired roll above (apart from the first couple of frames, which were shot on a random drive a few days earlier). Frame #11 is my favourite of the roll, but I'm pretty happy with most of these.

Yashica Mat 124G
Fomapan 100

2020-03-16 Yashica Mat 124G Fomapan 100

I like the composition of #11 on the fomapan, also #7 is appealing looking like it could have been shot 100 years ago. The more I look the more I like, #12 is good too.

I like the composition of #11 on the fomapan, also #7 is appealing looking like it could have been shot 100 years ago. The more I look the more I like, #12 is good too.

Thanks Chris. Fomapan 100 has a definite "old-fashioned" feel about it to my eyes which helps with this sort of subject matter, I think. Magpie Mine is a location that I'd take a large format camera if I owned one.

Contact Sheet #21

This roll has the distinction of being the first that I developed at home. There were certainly teething-troubles, both in my carrying out the task - when I poured the stop-bath in first instead of the developer due to nerves! - and also in the result - there are drying marks on the negs, although you can't really see them on most of the scans thankfully. On the whole though, I count it as a roaring success. It proved to me that I could achieve satisfactory results and also that, with care, I wouldn't butcher a roll of carefully taken photographs. :)
I've since developed several more rolls of both 35mm and 120 and am much more comfortable with the process.

I'm not sure any of these photos really stand out. Some of them are nice but none really triggered that "Yes!" as the scan apperared onscreen. They were also taken just as lockdown had kicked in and we had a bout of overcast days with dull light. I'm not sure my inspiration was really fully flowing to be honest and, towards the end of the roll, I wanted to finish it so I could get the anxiety of developing them over and done with.

Minolta SRT 101b
MD Rokkor 50mm f/1.7
Ilford HP5+

2020-03-24 and various Minolta SRT 101b Ilford HP5+

I remember some of those from your home developing thread. The rivets in #13 are my favourite

Contact Sheet #22

An entire roll shot while out on various excercise walks (or trips for groceries) during the lockdown. I'm glad that I'm allowed to venture farther afield now (even though I've not gone further than ten miles from the house). While there are plenty of photos to be had within walking distance of my home, I was becoming somewhat fatigued of the same scenery day after day. Now I can travel farther I actually see fewer people while walking. Because I live on a large modern housing estate, there are plenty of other people taking exercise or walking their dogs on the footpaths in the surrounding area, By going a bit further out (and avoiding the places that people tend to like to walk - the more scenic stuff), that number diminishes dramatically.

Frame 20 shows my first strip of home-developed negatives hung to dry (the ones in contact sheet #21 above). A pity it's out of focus...
Canon Sure Shot Telemax
lford Delta 400
Ilfotec DD-X 1+4 @20 degrees for 8 mins

2020-03 & 2020-04 various Canon Sure Shot Telemax Ilford Delta 400

Last edited:
Contact Sheet #23

I'm a bit conscious that I'm falling behind with these. I must have at least another 10 rolls that I haven't added here as yet. Must try harder...

A roll of Holga shots this time. Eleven for the price of twelve thanks, presumably, to some doofus forgetting to take the lens cap off. And it was the most brilliant photo you'll have ever seen too! ;)

This was the first roll of 120 that I developed myself. I was a bit concerned about getting it loaded into the tank, thinking that all the faffing about with backing paper and tape and stuff would make it more difficult that 135. As it turned out I found it much easier than the rolls of 135 I'd loaded previously. I've shot far more 120 than 135 since I started home developing and have found it all fairly easy to load onto the spiral. Not that it always goes completely smoothly - I'll often have to crack the spiral apart half way through the job and start again when the film comes out of the tracks - but I've so far managed to rescue my mishaps without too much trouble. I'm glad I bought a large changing bag though - a smaller one would have been a proper pain in the @r$e I reckon! :)

Holga 120N
Ilford HP5+
Ilfotec DD-X 1+4 9mins @ 20°

2020-04-09 Holga 120N Ilford HP5+

As it turned out I found it much easier than the rolls of 135 I'd loaded previously.

I find 120 easier too. And the older tanks that don't have the ball bearing have a bigger guide making it much easier. Pigged off that I dropped mine and broke it.

I have let a few sheets just lapse rather than getting stressed out keeping on top of it. This isn't a job :) Do what makes you happy.

Those are lovely images as usual Nige. I love the work of people who seem to have a natural gift for composition, and looking at your historic work on TP, you;ve turned out some sterling images with just about any old camera. Proof that the gear maketh not the photograph.

2 & 8 for me. I like the feeling of solitude in 2 and that ethereal look to the Holga only adds to it. The strong lines in 8 appeal to me and I'm a sucker for a good pylon shot! I actually quite like frame 1 too. The building looks like it's trying to hide and is peeking over the top with eyes on stalks... Must stop taking those blue pills....

Great work as always Nige. Thanks for sharing.

I find 120 easier too. And the older tanks that don't have the ball bearing have a bigger guide making it much easier. Pigged off that I dropped mine and broke it.

I have let a few sheets just lapse rather than getting stressed out keeping on top of it. This isn't a job :) Do what makes you happy.

Those are lovely images as usual Nige. I love the work of people who seem to have a natural gift for composition, and looking at your historic work on TP, you;ve turned out some sterling images with just about any old camera. Proof that the gear maketh not the photograph.

2 & 8 for me. I like the feeling of solitude in 2 and that ethereal look to the Holga only adds to it. The strong lines in 8 appeal to me and I'm a sucker for a good pylon shot! I actually quite like frame 1 too. The building looks like it's trying to hide and is peeking over the top with eyes on stalks... Must stop taking those blue pills....

Great work as always Nige. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Ian. Appreciate the kind words. :)

Frame 1 is may favourite from this roll (I like the way the rushes look at the edge of the water), followed by #8. #3 was an attempt for last month's FPOTY but I went for my Bronica entry instead (of pretty much the same subject matter). The final frame was a case of finishing the roll so I could develop it that weekend. :)

Across the marsh

Contact Sheet #24

A roll of shots from the lockdown period, before restrictions on being able to drive places were lifted. These were taken on five seperate walks all in my local area - I was getting a bit bored of the same places by now. This roll had drying marks on most frames (as did a subsequent toll of 135 to be posted here shortly). I've now taken to squeegee'ing the negs when hung to dry by dipping my fingers in the wetting agent and then running them down the length of the film. So far this has worked and not caused any scratches.

Canon Sure Shot Telemax
Ilford Delta 400
Ilfotec DD-X 1+4 8mins @ 20°

2020-04 various Canon Sure Shot Telemax Ilford Delta 400

This one managed to get into Flickr Explore for some reason (it's never the shots I might expect!):

No-one on Queen's Road

Another one I quite like (although I maybe should have cloned out that stray branch at upper-right):

Over the bypass

Last edited:
Contact Sheet #25

Another lockdown roll with shots made either at home or withing walking distance. Frames 3 & 4 were potential attempts for FPOTY (#4 being the actual shot I chose as my entry). #6 was a multiple exposure of, I think, four seperate images as a result of some idiot not remembering which identical looking switch was the mirror lock-up, and which was the multiple-exposure override... :)

This was the first of two rolls of Fomapan 100 that suffered lots of "dust" on the scans which I now suspect is a result of using an acidic stop-bath which has damaged the emulsion. The next roll of it I shoot will be stopped with water to see if that cures the issue.

Bronica ETRSi
Zenzanon 75mm f/2.8
Fomapan 100
Ilfotec DD-X 1+4 8mins @ 20°

2020-04-27 Bronica ETRSi Fomapan 100

Wildflowers

Reeds and smokestacks

Last edited:
Contact Sheet #26

Still in lockdown mode for this set, which were taken during Easter weekend when we had some lovely weather. I was sat on the patio reading William Eggleston's guide and it inspired me to make some photographs. Not sure that any of them are great, but it felt good to be creating something.

Nikon F80,
Sigma 105mm f/2.8 OS HSM & Nikkor 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 D
Kodak Gold 200

2020-04-28 Nikon F80 Kodak Gold 200

Red rag, no bull

Snail in the heather

Loving the colour work Nige. I have a copy of "Guide" and am struggling with colour. Kodak Gold really helps I think. The warmth it brings to the images really lifts them. Really like the simplicity of frame 23 and the natural environment of 32. One of those photos that gets looked back on in 20 years with the warm memories that Gold has created.

Re: Sheet #24 : 2 good cat shots and a pylon shot. What more could you want? How about some nice shadows in 23 and great curves in "Over The Bridge". Nice to see a large version of it. So many really good images on that sheet Nige. Really nice.

Sheet #25: Kicks off with the "cat in a box" shot. (y) I think frame 8 is sublime though. The way you've positioned yourself to get the flowers and their shadow with the vertical hsadow creeping across the frame just works so well. Frames 14 & 15 are nice people photos too... I was reading Ibarionex Perello's book today where he was talking about [the importance of] "gesture" and that's what makes these images work so well.

Great work Nige. Inspiring.

Last edited:
Loving the colour work Nige. I have a copy of "Guide" and am struggling with colour. Kodak Gold really helps I think. The warmth it brings to the images really lifts them. Really like the simplicity of frame 23 and the natural environment of 32. One of those photos that gets looked back on in 20 years with the warm memories that Gold has created.

Re: Sheet #24 : 2 good cat shots and a pylon shot. What more could you want? How about some nice shadows in 23 and great curves in "Over The Bridge". Nice to see a large version of it. Sop many really good images on that sheet Nige. Really nice.

Sheet #25: Kicks off with the "cat in a box" shot. (y) I think frame 8 is sublime though. The way you've positioned yourself to get the flowers and their shadow with the vertical hsadow creeping across the frame just works so well. Frames 14 & 15 are nice people photos too... I was reading Ibarionex Perello's book today where he was talking about [the importance of] "gesture" and that's what makes these images work so well.

Great work Nige. Inspiring.

Thanks Ian, appreciate your feedback as always.

Frame 8 is one that is badly affected by the "dust" issue I mentioned in the blurb above. I like the shot - although I wish the cords at the bottom of the blinds weren't there - but haven't yet summoned up the willpower to manually spot all the white speckles from the photo. :)

The next roll I put up here will be colour too - a different (expired) roll though. Some of those have turned out really nicely, I think.

Frame #29 of sheet #24 is frustrating. It's the second time I've taken that shot, and the second time I've managed to get some out-of-focus railings in the image. :banghead:

Contact Sheet #27

As with sheet #26, these were taken whil in full-on lockdown mode during Easter weekend. The same camera and lenses as the last set, but this time I shot a roll of expired Lloyds Pharmacy 200 film - a "drugstore film" as our transatlantic cousins would call it, if ever there were one. I bit of research seems to point to this stock being re-branded Ferrania Solaris. I was very happy with the way these came out. The colours are a little off, but in a nicely pleasing way - the only real issues being the outdoor shots (frames #22-28) which show some noise in the shadows.

Nikon F80,
Sigma 105mm f/2.8 OS HSM & Nikkor 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 D
Lloyds Pharmacy 200 (expired 2008)

2020-04-29 Nikon F80 Lloyds Pharmacy 200 (expired 2008)

'Ave a bana! :D

Ooh! Banana!

I really like the muted tones in this shot of some artificial flowers.

Artifice

Contact Sheet #28

These were taken over two days (and three outings). The first couple were right at the start of the roll, and then on a trip to the supermarket. Frames #3-22 were from a walk I took one evening where I made quite a lot of photographs but felt little to no inspiration while doing so (I wrote about it in my blog). The remaining frames were taken a little later on a similar walk but where a little more inspiration had arisen (although I'm still not sure I got anything of any real merit). The last two frames suffered from a winding problem and ended up overlapping - a shame as I quite like the look of #37.

Nikon F80,
Rikenon 50mm f/2
Ilford HP5+
Ilfotec DD-X 1+4 9mins

2020-04-30, 2020-05-2 Pentax P30 Ilford HP5+

Old branch new growth

The northern end of the lake

Rother suspension bridge