FishyFish's Contact Sheets

Contact Sheet #29

The first roll from my ill-fated venture into the world of 6x9 folding cameras. I bought the camera from eBay and had high hopes for it, but when it arrived I noticed that the front standard was slightly out of alignement. Not by much - barely noticeable - but maybe tilted so the right side of the standard was out by a millimetre or so. Unfortunately, while it was only a fractional misalignment, it meant that the images the camera produced were all noticeably soft on the left side of the frame. Probably not visible in this contact sheet, but apparent when examined more closely.

The camera should produce 8 frames per roll, but operator error led to me accidentally winding on too far and buggering it up!

Zeiss Mess-Ikonta 524/2
Ilford HP5+
Ilfotec DD-X 1+4 9mins

2020-05-13 Zeiss Mess-Ikonta 524-2 Ilford HP5+
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Shops

Trip-trappin' away

Last edited:
Contact Sheet #30

This was my first roll shot when the lockdown restrictions were eased to allow travel fro recreational purposes. While it seemed, if the media was to be believed, that many people immediately flocked to beauty spots and other honeypot locations to enjoy their newly-allowed picnics and sunbathing, I instead travelled just a few miles from home in my car. While feasibly within walking distance (it certainly would have made for good exercise!), driving there in the car before going for a good walk was much more pleasant way of doing things. I used my standard technique of looking at an OS map, planning a route along public footpaths, and then seeing what I could find to make photographs of along the way. Seeing different things after walking the same local paths week-after-week was a blessed relief and, while I can't say that these photos are great, the feeling of being out and making them definitely was.

Yashica Mat 124G
lIford HP5+
lfotec DD-X 1+4 9mins

2020-05-16 Yashicamat 124G Ilford HP5+

Contact Sheet #31

My second (and, as it turned out, final) roll from the Mess-Ikonta 524/2 I bought. This was really just a test roll to confirm that it had the issue with the misaligned lens standard, which it did. After getting these developed, the camera was returned for a refund.

I don't think I put any real effort into the compositions as I already pretty much knew that the results would be no good.

As with the initial roll, I still managed to bugger up the winding up of one frame, losing a shot as a result. Just what you want with a camera that gives only eight photos from a roll of film, eh?

Zeiss Mess-Ikonta 524/2
Ilford HP5+
Ilfotec DD-X 1+4 9mins

2020-05-16 Zeiss Mess-Ikonta 524-2 Ilford HP5+

It feels weird seeing the 3:2 ratio for some reason... Perhaps it's because it's next to the square stuff. I wish I could make my TLR zing like you do with the Yashica Mat. Frames 3 & 11 really stand out. How are you findgin home developing? Do you think you'll go back to a lab for your B&W?

It feels weird seeing the 3:2 ratio for some reason... Perhaps it's because it's next to the square stuff. I wish I could make my TLR zing like you do with the Yashica Mat. Frames 3 & 11 really stand out.

Thanks Ian. Most of these were shot with tripod and cable release, so I was able to set up the composition and then really nail the focus. Then a bit of Lightroom fairy-dust to make them sparkle. :)

How are you findgin home developing? Do you think you'll go back to a lab for your B&W?

I've not done any for a couple of weeks now (mostly becuase I've shot some C41 and don't have the inclination to dev that at home at present) and it feels a bit weird, like I need to get some more B&W devved before I forget how to do it or something. I'm pretty comfortable with the process now (maybe 13-14 rolls devved) and haven't had any major upsets so far - the worst things to happen being some annoying drying marks on a couple of rolls, and then one roll that got a little stuck while loading onto the spiral and I forced it causing some crescent-shaped stress marks on a few of the negs. I'm happy with the results I'm achieving and am getting nice, clean results (drying and stress marks aside!) making for largely dust-free scans. I can't say it's a process I especially enjoy - it's a bit of a chore, especially all the washing up of gear afterwards - but I'm getting results I'm happy with and it's saving me money too, so I'll keep it up for the foreseeable.

Last edited:
Contact Sheet #32

Another roll from my "excited to be able to venture further afield after lockdown was eased" phase. Again, not somewhere too far from home - a ten minute drive and then a several mile looping walk. While I got a number of photos I like, the roll was let down by the backing paper markings bleeding through onto the negatives. It's not noticeable on some frames, and I've photoshopped it out on others, but it's apparent on frames #6 & #7 where you can see circular markings in the sky and on the road. As I've got several rolls of this film, I was a little concerned that the whole lot might exhibit similar problems.

#10 is my pick of the bunch from this set.

Yashica Mat 124G
Shanghai GP3
Ilfotec DD-X 1+9 10mins @ 24°

2020-05-23 Yashicamat 124G Shanghai GP3

Gateway to yonder

Contact Sheet #33

More "freedom from lockdown" photos, again just a short drive from home. Made on an early morning walk on Spring Bank holiday. The majority of shots were made with the camera tripod mounted as, although it was a bright (and warm!) morning, the film speed suggested it would be prudent. I wouldn't have had a hope in hell of getting shots #1-#3 without the tripod.

I seem to have a thing for photographing power lines and gates (although the second gate shot here is a little out of focus). Perhaps a thing for photographing crucified Jesuses too! :)

Yashica Mat 124G
Ilford Pan F
Ilfotec DD-X 1+4 8mins @ 20°

2020-05-25 Yashica Mat 124G Ilford Pan F

Last edited:
Contact Sheet #34

A second roll of Shanghai GP3 shot with the Holga 120N. This was a bit of a test to see if I would get the same backing paer issues as on roll #32. As far as I can see the problem didn't present itself this time. I also had my F80 with me on this walk and shot a roll of Kodak Gold and a part roll of Superia 100 - contact sheets from both to come later at some point (I've still around 11 rolls to make contact sheets of yet!).

Guess which idiot left the lens cap on for one shot?

Holga 120N
Shanghai GP3
Ilfotec DD-X 1+9 10mins @ 24°

2020-05-31 Holga 120N Shanghai GP3

Contact Sheet #35

Another walk along a section of the Cuckoo Way beside the Chesterfield Canal. It absolutely p#$$ed it down on the day, requiring me to retreat to the car just after setting off, and then standing under some trees in woodland for another 20 minutes when the heavens re-opened not long after my second start. It's quite amazing just how much water thin strands of grass beside footpaths can hold, and how much of that liquid they can quickly transfer to a man's trousers! Thankfully, the rain held off after this, although my legs remained wet the rest of the walk. Water-resistant is not the same as water-proof, I have now discovered.

The two rolls of Fomapan 100 I've developed at home have both been blighted by what I at first thought was dust, requiring lengthy and soul-sapping dust-spotting in Lightroom. I think it's actually a result of the development though and some people have recommended using a plain water stop for this emulsion. I tried that here and it did improve things slightly, although not significantly unfortunately. I might have to look back on some lab-developed Fomapan 100 negs to see if the issue was avoided there. If it was, I might fork out the dosh for lab processing of my remaining Fomapan 100 stocks when I shoot them.

Yashica Mat 124G
Fomapan 100

2020-06-06 Yashica Mat 124G Fomapan 100

#1 & 9 for me, although 8 has some classical appeal. I like frame 12 too as wet landscapes always make me smile. So very British.

Dust spotting in LR is pants. At least it's easy.

Contact Sheet #36

The fifth contact sheet I've uploaded today. I'm on a roll (and yet still have a backlog...)!

This roll was shot during my first visit to Sheffield city centre since lockdown began, and the day before the re-opening of non-essential retail was allowed. I wanted to get a look at the town centre before the shoppers returned.

There are a few frames less than expected as my OM-1 has started to suffer from a shutter problem which results in wasted frames (there are still images, but usually a blurred mess that isn't worth scanning). I did leave one of the faulty shots in the contact sheet though (frame #9) as I kinda like the "Holy canted angles Batman!" look it has.

It also marks my first developing problem where I had issues getting the film onto the spiral and ended up kinking the film. I've photoshopped most of the marks out, but couldn't do much with frame#29 (which has a bif crescent mark on the window of one of the buildings in the background)

Olympus OM-1
Ilford HP5+ (@800)
Ilfotec DD-X 1+4 10mins @ 20°

2020-06-14 Olympus OM-1 Ilford HP5+ @800

Last edited:
Wow - that *is* a backlog! I just scrolled to the end and commented :) Really like "Gateway to Yonder" too.

As to the OM... I am hankering for a free weekend to dip over to Chester and do some street photography again. These shots just whet my appetite. I really like frame 1.

Wow - that *is* a backlog! I just scrolled to the end and commented :) Really like "Gateway to Yonder" too.

As to the OM... I am hankering for a free weekend to dip over to Chester and do some street photography again. These shots just whet my appetite. I really like frame 1.

Thanks Ian. I have many, many "frame 1" photos. It's the shot I often make when firing the shutter to get to the first useable frame before leaving the house. Maybe I could make a Frame 1 zine. :D

Contact Sheet #37

The first roll through my newly acquired OM-2n, bought because my OM-1 keeps suffering from shutter problems, While the OM-2n is a better camera in many regards, I have to say I prefer the simplicity of the OM-1 viewfinder - the match needle is far more visible than it is on the 2n.
Frames 25-29 were shot with the Tamron Adaptall 28-70mm lens that came with the camera. It's not a patch on my zuiko lenses though, so I won't be keeping it.

Olympus OM-2n
Ilford HP5+ (@800)
Ilfotec DD-X 1+4 10mins @ 20°

2020-06-19,21 Olympus OM-2n Ilford HP5+ @800

*scrutinises frame 1*

Have you got a filter on this? The sky in #24 looks gorgeous. Frame 24 is just outstanding. Love the jagged lines in 21.

Also lol frame 19. Pretty much the exact same setup I have.

More great work.

Sorry Nige, I haven't been getting notifications from this thread but I should have known that you would have been updating it. Far too many strong images to pick them all out, really like the Holga set, 8 & 9 from sheet 35 stand out as do 5, 13 and 21 from sheet 37

Sorry Nige, I haven't been getting notifications from this thread but I should have known that you would have been updating it. Far too many strong images to pick them all out, really like the Holga set, 8 & 9 from sheet 35 stand out as do 5, 13 and 21 from sheet 37

No worries. Notifications from this sub-forum are really hit and miss for me too. To be fair, I uploaded a whole batch over the last few days, so there was a gap before then.

Contact Sheet #38

A roll of slightly expired Ilford XP2 shot with my Nikon F70. Quite a lot of macro shots here that I took for June's Mystery Month topic in Film Photographer of the Year.

Frame #8 is out-of-focus as I'd forgotten that the camera was in manual focus mode after the earlier macro shots, so the half-press auto-focus failed me.

Frames #37-38 overlapped slightly, although maybe I shouldn't be greedy. :)

I seem to be generating a bit of a backlog of photos at the moment so there are some frames here that I like but haven't even uploaded to my Flickr account. #16 for instance.

Nikon F70
Ilford XP2

2020-06-22 Nikon F70 Ilford XP2

As always all your photos are fantastic but I particularly like the Holga shots and the Colourplus 200 shots I do like how it renders the colours.

Absolutely love that dandelion clock (#3) with the lovely dark toned backgorund. lol at 29 & 30 too. Might not be classic images but I bet you'll be able to look back at them and remember the exact moment.

Absolutely love that dandelion clock (#3) with the lovely dark toned backgorund. lol at 29 & 30 too. Might not be classic images but I bet you'll be able to look back at them and remember the exact moment.

My wife almost always hates the photos I make of her (I have a similar dislike of photos of myself to be fair :)), expecially because they're usually black and white, a format to which she has a particular dislike. Boo-hoo for her that I love B&W then. :D

Contact Sheet #38
It's only week thirty but it does make me wonder what I've been doing all year :LOL:

#11 made me smile and the beer glass (I think) in 16 looks interesting and not just because it involves beer. And of course 29 and 30 great candid shots but you shouldn't distract her while she's driving :)

It's only week thirty but it does make me wonder what I've been doing all year :LOL:

#11 made me smile and the beer glass (I think) in 16 looks interesting and not just because it involves beer. And of course 29 and 30 great candid shots but you shouldn't distract her while she's driving :)

We were sat in the car park at Burger King So all I was distracting her from was her dinner. :LOL:

#11 is a little out of focus, or rather the depth of field is too thin, so most of its head is unshared.

Contact Sheet #39

Shots #1-13 were all made during full-lockdown, either around the house or while out for a walk in the local area. The rest were all made during a single walk along the Cuckoo Way and surrounding area when lockdown restrictions were eased to allow travel for leisure. This sequence continues on a roll of Superia 100 that I'll post soon, and also on the Holga shots seen in Contact Sheet #34.

Nikon F80
Kodak Gold 200

2020-06-22 Nikon F80 Kodak Gold 200

Pylon shot (#7) looks grand as do the empty fields (18/20/23)

Really like 13 too. Would be good in B&W but I think it works better in colour with that touch of warmth brought by Gold.

Thanks Ian.

I have a fondness for fields with powerlines. They always give me a Glenn Campbell Whichita Lineman vibe. :)

There's another vesion of the pylons in #7 back in Contact Sheet #29. And a B&W version of the bathroom window (#13) back in Contact Sheet #16 (shot on my Holga). I like the subtle hint of colour in this new version, but the Holga shot is better, I think.

Contact Sheet #40

Taken during a walk around some of the reservoirs to the north of Sheffield near the village of Low Bradfield. There's a bit of duplication between #9 & #10 because I thought I'd accidentally jogged the camera during the first shot. Turns out I hadn't.

I like most of the shots from this roll, with #1 & #3 probably my favourites. I also like #11, but think it needs to be processed differently (or re-taken) for better effect.

Yashica Mat 124G
Fomapan 100

2020-06-26 Yashicamat 124G Fomapan 100

Really liking the look of frame 6. In fact, almost the whole contact sheet has a 'man meets nature' vibe going on that works well.

(y)

Really liking the look of frame 6. In fact, almost the whole contact sheet has a 'man meets nature' vibe going on that works well.

(y)
Thanks Ian. I'd not really considered a "man meets nature" vibe at the time of making the pictures, but you're right - it's there in all but a couple of the shots.

#6 received more PP than usual. I dodn't tend to do much other than play with levels and contrast etc., but this one had dodging and burning and a bunch of other stuff applied to try and calm the highlights and give it a better feel.

A place in the trees

Contact Sheet #41

Taken during the same walk as the previous batch but shot with my Zeiss folder (because it's very portable and easily fit in my bag with the Yashica Mat). I loaded it with a roll of expired Ektachrome E200 that I've had for a while. I didn't really hold great expectations for the results as the other roll of this same film (with the same expiry date) had produced images with lots of magenta noise in the shadow areas. This one, however, didn't show half as much (although it's still there). The images still needed quite a bit of colour correction to remove the worst of the purple / magenta cast, and it's not gone completely, but for a roll of slide film that expired 17-years ago and which I have no idea of how it was stored, it hasn't fared too badly.

#9 is my favourite of the roll.

Yashica Mat 124G
Kodak Ektachrome E200

2020-06-26 Zeiss Mess-Ikonta 524-16 Ektachrome E200 (expired 2003)

The world's smallest palm tree

That smallest palm tree has appeared before hasn't it? Are you still working a composition for it?

Contact Sheet #42

#1-#14 are a direct continuation from Contact Sheet #39, taken on the same walk after I changed rolls. I would probably have taken more but the camera's battery carked it after I photographed the pigeon on the street-light. The remaining photos are from a trip around some inner city industrial areas.

Nikon F80
Fuji Superia 100 (expired 2008)

2020-07-09 Nikon F80 Fujifilm Superia 100 (expired 2008)

Really like the striking simple subjects.. Frame 13 & 30 stand right out for me. I also like 37 which is a "lucky" frame.

Did you shoot it at 100?

Really like the striking simple subjects.. Frame 13 & 30 stand right out for me. I also like 37 which is a "lucky" frame.

Did you shoot it at 100?

Yep, shot at 100. I bought three or four boxes of the film from someone on here a few years back and still have around ten rolls left. I've overexposed it a little on occasion but it's perfectly happy at box speed. Looks like fresh film.

Contact Sheet #43

I guess that, strictly speaking, this is a test roll. It was the first film through a new (to me) Canon Sure Shot Supreme which I bought as a replacement for the one I already had. That one works fine but on occasion will refuse to fire for an indeterminate amount of time, which is not ideal for any once-in-a-lifetime photo ops that might pop up.

The shots on this roll are in three groups: #1-#13 were shot on a walk around the edge of the city centre (taken the same day as the latter shots in my previous contact sheet). The next batch #14-#20 were from a day out strawberry picking with my wife and one of my boys. And the final seventeen from a random drive around to finish off the roll.

The camera seems to be working fine and produces great results (like all the other Sure Shot cameras I've used - I now have four different models!)

Canon Sure Shot Supreme
Kodak Colorplus

2020-07-09 Canon Sure Shot Supreme Kodak Colorplus

There seems to something of a doors or openings theme developing there which catches my imagination

There seems to something of a doors or openings theme developing there which catches my imagination

It's not a deliberate theme but, looking through my other contact sheets, there does seem to be a trend in there. I think I tend to make the photos because theres something about the light, colour or texture / detail that catches my eye rather than it being a door or opening, but there are quite a few of them.

See also: powerlines. :)

Back