FishyFish's Contact Sheets

Right. That's sold me on a bottle when my HC-110 runs out.

Contact Sheet #58

A roll of Delta 400 shot on a trip to Mablethorpe back in September. It illustrated that my OM-2n might have a slight light-leak (recently fixed - I hope!) although only present on the odd shot (and it didn't show up at all when I shot slower speed films). There are a few frames missing from the roll due to an "operator error" when loading the film into the dev tank - the tension on the roll indicated I'd got it fully loaded onto the spiral but, after taking the lot out of the changing bag, I idly pulled on the remaining sliver of film poking out of the cannister whereupon it decided to reveal several more (now ruined) frames-worth of film. :banghead:

Olympus OM-2n
Ilford Delta 400
Ilfotec DD-X 1+4 9mins @ 20°

2020-09-11 Olympus OM-2n Ilford Delta 400
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

How would you compare HP5 to Delta 400?

Really like the look of 16 & 17. In fact the whole contact sheet seems timeless. Could easily have been taken 50 Septembers ago! Nice to see B&W beach huts too.

How would you compare HP5 to Delta 400?

Really like the look of 16 & 17. In fact the whole contact sheet seems timeless. Could easily have been taken 50 Septembers ago! Nice to see B&W beach huts too.

Thank you. I did get some colour shots of the beach huts too, but the milkdly threatening sky seemed to suit B&W better when the sun went in. :)

I like Delta and am happy to use it, but I think HP5+ is much more versatile. Delta doesn't seem to capture shadow detail as well as HP5+ either I've found. I've got a few rolls of Delta 3200 in the freezer and I'm interested to see how they compare when shot at 1600asa with HP5+ pushed a couple of stops.

Contact Sheet #59

I guess that this is the sister roll to sheet #55 from the previous page. Frames #1-#9 were shot on the same day trip to Mablethorpe (as also seen in sheet #58) and share the same subjects on several images. I was a little disappointed with the results from this roll - they seem a little soft in many cases, and the Zeiss is usually capable of good sharpness. I think I need to shoot another roll with it to make sure there's nothing amiss.

I thought I was catching up on these, but I've slipped again and I'm now at least 10 rolls behind again!

Zeiss Mess-Ikonta 524/16
Kodak Portra 400

2020-09-11,12 Zeiss Mess Ikonta 524-16 Kodak Portra 400

Contact Sheet #60

The second roll through the ill-fated Rollop II. Well, I say ill-fated, but I no longer have the camera and genuinely hope the new owner can fix the problem that was causing the light leak (although it only features in frame #1 here). It's a pretty nice camera and I was more than happy with the quality of the photographs it allowed me to make. Because I wanted to see if I'd fixed the arorementioned leak, these are mostly test images (although I still tried to make them count and be the best they could be).

Lipca Rollop II
Fomapan 100
Ilfotec DD-X 1+4 8mins @ 20°

2020-09-12 Lipka Rollop II Fomapan 100

Last edited:
We have a pylon. All is well in the world.

Phone box & lamp post made me smile too. Quirky.

I'm in the process of putting what may be the final roll through a second Automat. The WLF is so dim I really don't enjoy using it. Feels like it would be better sending it on to someone who might get use out of it. Really like the square format though. It's almost like everything composes well in square...

That second shot is gorgeous. Contrast is perfect.

I love returning to the same thing repeatedly to try different photographic approaches. Keeps me thinking.

Contact Sheet #61

I received a couple of rolls of this expired Ektachrome from my Secret Santa last year, but only got around to shooting one of them for the first time a couple of months ago. Having had some earlier success with expired Ektachrome, I was feeling more confident about it turning out ok. Normally, when shooting expired colour film, unless I know it has been well stored, I overexpose it a stop per decade of expiry. However, slide film, being much more pernickety about correct exposure, means the same latitude might not be suitable. A few months ago I read an article on Emulsive that recommended not using the one-stop-per-decade rule, so I decided to follow the advice and shoot this roll at box speed. I think it was the right decision. While the colours don't look quite right (although I still like the look a lot), the exposures were pretty much spot on.

Yashica Mat 124G
Kodak Ektachrome 100 EPN (expired 2008)

2020-09-14 Yashica Mat 124G Kodak Ektachrome 100 EPN (expired 2008)

So apparently, humans see green really well because of jungles and food and predators etc. I watched Fargo (TV series with Billy Bob) :)

I wonder if that's why I was annoyed by the greens in my Ektachrome. Frame 6 looks pretty spot on to me though and as I'd expect that scene to look. The rest of the roll has a Portra-esque look to it although the reds & blues on 8 look really really nice. The tree in 10 looks typical of Ektachrome green though. I very much like 11 - only that shadow on the bottom edge spoiling it (for me).

Nice collection Nige.

So apparently, humans see green really well because of jungles and food and predators etc. I watched Fargo (TV series with Billy Bob) :)

I wonder if that's why I was annoyed by the greens in my Ektachrome. Frame 6 looks pretty spot on to me though and as I'd expect that scene to look. The rest of the roll has a Portra-esque look to it although the reds & blues on 8 look really really nice. The tree in 10 looks typical of Ektachrome green though. I very much like 11 - only that shadow on the bottom edge spoiling it (for me).

Nice collection Nige.

Thanks Ian. #8 had quite a heavy purple cast to it and has had a bit more work than the others (and it's still visible in the shadows). I did think abot removing the foreground shadow in #11 too, but then decided against it. I'm not sure it adds anything (other than, as you mention, a distraction), but something in my head told me to leave it be. I honestly can't tell you why other than it 'felt' right to leave it for some reason.

Me too, #2 and #4 appear to have overall muted tones with a few spots of more vibrant colours which I really like.

Thanks Chris.

#5 is my favourite from the roll. I like the composition and the colours look pretty good with the soft browns of the building going well with the gentle blue graduation in the sky.

Contact Sheet #62

Another roll of the 12-years-expired Fuji Superia 100 that I have. The first nine frames shot on my trip to MAblethorpe back in September, the rest on a walk around the Victoria Quays / canal basin area in Sheffield. The roll was scanned as linear tiff files and then converted using Grain2Pixel. This plugin is pretty impressive, but I do find that it struggles on some films, requiring additional jiggery-pokery in Photoshop and Lightroom. While i'm mostly happy with the roll, I still feel the colours are not quite right - maybe a bit too much cyan in there.

Also... bumper roll! Counting the "burn" frame at the start, I've eked 39 shots from it!

Olympus OM-2n
Fujifilm Superia 100 (expired 2008)

2020-09-11,17 Olympus OM-2n Fujifilm Superia 100 (expired 2008)

Last edited:
Some nice compositions in there Nige. Frame 8 looks particularly nice.

Some nice compositions in there Nige. Frame 8 looks particularly nice.

Yeah, I like frame 8. It has a certain connection between the ice cream and the couple in the background. The colours of their clothes math the ice cream, and the guy looks like he might have enjoyed a cornet or two in his lifetime. :)

I only noticed the coordinating colours when I scanned the shot.

Anyone for ice cream?

Contact Sheet #63

A roll of Portra 160 that was shot immediately after the roll of expired Ektachrome in contact sheet #61 up the page.

I'm quite happy with several of these, although, again, it took some farting around in Lightroom and Photoshop to get the colours looking right (frame #10 especially!). I remembered that I have a copy of ColorPerfect that got uninstalled back when I did an OS re-install on my PC, so I fired that up again to see how it would work converting the linear tiff files I'd made and, to be honest, they looked quite nice. On the flipside, I remebered why I'd been less than fully enamoured with it originally - it makes a right pig's ear of the shadow areas, blocking them out and filling them with noise. So I guess I'll carry on figuring out Grain2Pixel for now.

Yashica Mat 124G
Kodak Portra 160

2020-09-14 Yashica Mat 124G Kodak Portra 160

Love the look of frame 3. Looks like there is a tear in the earth - especially with how the light fills the reflection.

I also really like Portra 160.

Contact Sheet #64

The first roll of expired Ektachrome that I bought a few months back from the classifieds in here. It's a roll of 100 EPP that expired around 2003 (I can't be sure, as it wasn't boxed, but that was the date on the rolls of Elite Chrome I bought in the same batch, so close enough). I'm very happy with the results from this roll. While there was definite pull to the purple side of things, I was able to mostly remove that in Photoshop and the resulting tones are very pleasing and the film is both sharp and minimally grained.

This roll was shot in two halves - the first to frame #22 was directly after the roll of Superia 100 in sheet #62 above (the smokestack in the first couple of frames can also be seen in the penultimate frame from that earlier roll). The light was lovely and bright on this day.
The remaining frames were shot in much duller conditions on a day out to Bakewell. While I still like some of these, I prefer the fair-weather shots.

Olympus OM-2n
Kodak Ektachrome 100 EPP (expired 2003 or thereabouts)

2020-09-17,18 Olympus OM-2n Kodak Ektachrome 100 EPP (expired 2003) by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Whoa on the reds! Any guesses as to the subject in frame 15? Anyone, anyone, Bueller?

Have I seen frame 8 before too? Has a real Gursky-esque feel to it IMO, and I really like it. I also lol'd at 14. Both my grandparents were huge snooker fans and falling asleep on the carpet in front of the fire watching snooker is a fond childhood memory.

Whoa on the reds! Any guesses as to the subject in frame 15? Anyone, anyone, Bueller?

Have I seen frame 8 before too? Has a real Gursky-esque feel to it IMO, and I really like it. I also lol'd at 14. Both my grandparents were huge snooker fans and falling asleep on the carpet in front of the fire watching snooker is a fond childhood memory.

I think both frames #5 & #8 have been in Show us yer film shots (and maybe the Crucible picture too, though I can't be sure without checking).

I don't really like snooker, but I did get to go and see one of the games way back in my first job when someone managed to get some free tickets. It was a lot more enjoyable watching it live in the theatre. :)

Contact Sheet #65

Another roll of two halves - the first following on directly from sheet #64 above when I switched the finished roll of Ektachrome for this roll of Hp5+ whil walking around Bakewell. The second half were shot one misty morning when I went for a walk on Woodhouse Washlands, a floodplain not two far from where I live.

Olympus OM-2n
Ilford HP5+

2020-09-18,29 Olympus OM-2n Ilford HP5+

Contact Sheet #66

The final roll that I put through the Lipca Rollop II. Despite my bodged attempts to get around it, the light leak still persisted and, while I quite liked the camera (and it made nice photographs), the risk of good shots being spoiled meant I decided to move the camera on. So it's with a new owner now who can hopefully resolve the fault (or at least live with the limitation). Fomapan 100 again - another from the dodgy, spotty batch. The only real difference is that I used Adonal for this roll instead of my usual DD-X.

Lipca Rollop II
Fomapan 100
Adonal 1+50 9mins @ 21°

2020-09-26 Lipka Rollop II Fomapan 100

I'm guessing Adonol is some sort of Rodinal derivative? What are your thoughts vs DD-X and is this a temporary switch to something else?

The Oly roll looks really nice with 26 ^ 30 looking quite majestic. Good to see some pylon shots too. :)

Will you be making a book of your sheets at the end of the year do you think?

I'm guessing Adonol is some sort of Rodinal derivative? What are your thoughts vs DD-X and is this a temporary switch to something else?

The Oly roll looks really nice with 26 ^ 30 looking quite majestic. Good to see some pylon shots too. :)

Will you be making a book of your sheets at the end of the year do you think?

Thanks Ian.

Adonal is just Rodinal under a different brand name I believe. I bought a small 100ml bottle a while back for the following reasons...
  • I wanted to see how it compared on a slower speed film. Its supposedly a sharpening developer, and I was curious.
  • If I ever try stand development, I think this will be better than DD-X.
  • I thought it would be good to have a back-up developer with a long shelf-life, just in case.
  • It was cheap! :D
I'm not going to switch from DD-X though.

I've been pretty happy with the shots-per-roll count I've been managing with the OM-2n!

Not sure about a contact sheet book yet. It'll probably be January before I even finish making them all. I guess it will depend on how much it will cost me.

Contact Sheet #67

A roll shot over several autumn days in late September and early October. As the weather cools, so I usually have a point-and-shoot compact in my coat pocket ready to capture anything the catches my eye. In this roll, mostly autumnal blue sky day stuff (plus a bit of mist). Fewer frames here than usual because I botched the loading - I thought the film hadn't caught and so opened the back only to find it had, and so wasted half-a-dozen shots.

Canon Sure Shot Telemax
Kodak Gold 200
Grain2Pixel conversions

2020-09-29 10-10,12 Canon Sure Shot Telemax Kodak Gold 200

Gold is surely a nice film for autumn.

What do you think about that tiny bit of building in the corner of frame 14?

Those landscape shots 4-5-6-7 are all really nice too. Contrast in 12 is right up my street.

(y)

Thanks Ian.

I think I was a little stuck with the added bit of builing in #14. I didn't want to replicate the shot I took with my Yashica Mat (that I enterd into FPOTY), but the camera's focal length meant I was limited in what I could make without something else getting into the frame. I don't think I mind it too much, but at the same time, I haven't uploaded it to Flickr either.

Contact Sheet #68

I really must catch up with these. The finish always seems just over the brow of the next ridge, only for the next set to present themselves as another, higher peak.

Anyway, enough with the whinging. This roll is from October and a walk around Weston Park in Sheffield and the nearby environs (it's a hospital and university area). It was a nice autumnal sunny day, so I shot a roll of 100asa LCN - the first time I've shot this. I used Grain2Pixel for the conversion again but, like some other films, this one needed some additional farting about to get it looking how I wanted.

Vivien Maier rip-off for frame #12. :)

Yashica Mat 124G
Lomography Color Negative 100
Grain2Pixel conversions

2020-10-11 Yashica Mat 124G Lomography Color Negative 100

Trees, architecture and a mirror selfie. What's not to like?

The "Drama" sign on the church made me smile. Very nice. Really like #12 though. Because of the WLF it doesn't look like a selfie.

Another great series of images Nige. Thanks for sharing.

Contact Sheet #69

More Yashica Mat images, but back to monochrome, and back to Woodhouse Wetlands (where some of my Rollop photos were made). I think I've taken some inspiration from Paul Hart - whose books Farmed, Drained, and Reclaimed, I've bought and very much enjoyed this year - for some of these pictures. A similar composition for frames #1 & #2 because I forgot to change the aperture after taking a meter reading for the first. I could probably have gotten away with it.

Yashica Mat 124G
Ilford HP5+

2020-10-18 Yashica Mat 124G Ilford HP5+

Trees, architecture and a mirror selfie. What's not to like?

The "Drama" sign on the church made me smile. Very nice. Really like #12 though. Because of the WLF it doesn't look like a selfie.

Another great series of images Nige. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks. I'd not really considered the Drama Sign as having an alternate possibility until you said that. It's nice when people see things in a photo that you (even as the person who made it) might have missed.

In the Lomo CN sheet, I think the lighting on frame 6 looks interesting.

For the HP5, the tree shots (frames 7,8 & 12) look good.

Nice sets!

I find frame 11 of sheet #69 really striking, the central post with the asymmetric wires is well composed

In the Lomo CN sheet, I think the lighting on frame 6 looks interesting.

For the HP5, the tree shots (frames 7,8 & 12) look good.

Nice sets!

Thanks Paul. The guy fishing was giving me slightly concerned looks as I set the shot up for that one. I gave him a friendly wave afterward sthough. :)

I find frame 11 of sheet #69 really striking, the central post with the asymmetric wires is well composed

Thanks Chris. I can't remember if I already posted it in Show Us Yer Film Shots or not, but here's the full size version...

Barbed post

Contact Sheet #70

My love/hate relationship with Velvia 50 continues. If I'm to be honest, it's probably a combination of my limited metering abilities (I mostly rely on incident readings which aren't always the best thing to use in difficuly lighting conditions) and the PITA it can be to scan it without it looking like I've shot a roll of Lomography Purple!
Several of these are clearly underexposed, and the others don't really show the film at it's best - I've said said to myself before: "DON'T shoot slide film on dull overcast days. It will look like crap!" Maybe I'll learn now. The leaf and the third Aldi shot are the best of the bunch, I think.

Bronica ETRSi
Zenzanon 75mm f/2.8 PE
Fujichrome Velvia 50

2020-10-22,24 Bronica ETRSi Fujichrome Velvia 50

"DON'T shoot slide film on dull overcast days. It will look like crap!"

Totally agree with this and it's going in my notebook as a reminder! Frame 12 is really very nice though.

Another nice set. I am drawn to frame 8 for the storytelling, and 13 for the colour.

I haven't shot slide film for about 30 years, I miss Kodachrome!

I'm forever telling myself useful things, but then forgetting every one of them in the heat of the moment.

Back