Fitness Photography in the Midday Sun

Called crossfit I think.. done a few fitness foto jobs and anythign including tyres usally at crossfit sessions :)

yes good lighting exposed perfectly for me BUT hate the 1980s style awkward slant .. was there a reason for it?

Called crossfit I think.. done a few fitness foto jobs and anythign including tyres usally at crossfit sessions :)

yes good lighting exposed perfectly for me BUT hate the 1980s style awkward slant .. was there a reason for it?

This guy normally isn't in to the whole "cross fit" more bodybuilding/strongman but know where you're coming from!

Hmmm I guess not, just how I ended up shooting it....down on the gravel and sort of happened.....sorry!? :)

Does the slant matter especially if it doesn't detract (or even adds) to the photo? To me, the angle of the tyre compensates for the otherwise wonky horizon and the lines point the eye nicely at the subject.

Great lighting control, as said already, and good composition for me.

Does the slant matter especially if it doesn't detract (or even adds) to the photo?

Well, no. But Tony is saying it does detract in his opinion. I agree with him, I'm not a stickler for everything being straight and level, but the Dutch tilt isn't adding much here for me.

The framing could be moved across as well I think. The space on the left isn't adding much, and feels like it was included just to squeeze the sun into frame. I like the sun being there, but get rid of the tilt, and you could include the sun whilst losing the nothing space bottom left.

The lighting works well on the bloke to define his muscles and give him that 'gritty, shiny' look that often goes with these types of photos. I'd prefer less light bottom right though, the octa I assume, is lighting the nearside of the tyre and the concrete. Easy enough to burn it down a touch in post which would focus your eye more to the bloke and the work he's doing. Ditto the guard rail behind, I think this would be better with far less light on it, or with it not in frame at all.

Does the slant matter .

to me yes.. to you.. it would seem no

and that is what makes the world go around :)

Personally its old cheap and nasty IMHO and i cant think of a single reason to do it with any picture,, its like spot colouring.. old and tired now..

To be fair, he could have been on an incline.
The clouds on the left look horizontal. Incline or angled it works for me.

To be fair, he could have been on an incline.
The clouds on the left look horizontal. Incline or angled it works for me.

even on an incline trees tend to grow straight up :)

Very nice indeed. Apart from the wonk - but I expect you knew that would be divisive when you took it.

Probably a bovril thing.. I see some people post whole sets with the same wonk.. so there must be a call for it :)

I rather like it, lighting and processing is good......I like the slant too

I guess that makes me old, cheap and nasty too :D

I guess that makes me old, cheap and nasty too :D

No just stupid :) (see i put a smile as well)

I said the style looked old cheap and nasty.. not the photogrpaher

No just stupid :) (see i put a smile as well)

I said the style looked old cheap and nasty.. not the photogrpaher

Hahaha...Cheers[emoji14]

To be fair mostly I don't like the slanted images, there's just an occasional one that pops up and I don't mind it.

I'm guessing as well though for long standing photographers that have seen various trends and styles it does get old hat.

Hahaha...Cheers[emoji14]
it looked like you where having a dig at me and using a smile to difuse it.. i wasnt trying to insult the photographer or anyone who liked the style.. just explain why i dodnt like it

I agree with your other part.. I have a style I like (that i can rarely use for my business shots).. it wont be to other people liking.. so someone could make the same comment i made about slant at my style :)

it looked like you where having a dig at me and using a smile to difuse it.. i wasnt trying to insult the photographer or anyone who liked the style.. just explain why i dodnt like it

I agree with your other part.. I have a style I like (that i can rarely use for my business shots).. it wont be to other people liking.. so someone could make the same comment i made about slant at my style :)
Sorry no it wasn't a dig as in being arsy, just my usual stupid humour I guess :)

Not a slant lover, but on this occasion i think it works, to me it helps emphasise this fella pushing/lifting the tyre against the slant if you get what i mean.

Nice! It looks like an uphill challenge :)

Back