Fixed Odds Betting Terminals odds reduced

I've just been to my local bookies to give them my usual £2 horse bet!!! and asked the staff the same question, they replied we have 5 or 6 people who regularly play £100 a pop!! - last time I played one they were sixpence a pop!!

I haven't been in a book makers for about 30 years I think I might have places a bet on the grand national in one when I was 18.
I used to play the odd 10p fruit machines in pubs as a teenager and pretty much that my experience with gambling done.

I do know a guy who got sacked from his job a few years ago as he was on his phone all day on a betting app and he got picked up on it.

There is a guy who my eldest son knows who got hooked on the big odds gaming machines. Currently his wife snd kids are living with her parents and he is in a mental health clinic.

The family house is on the market but not known if this is to pay off debts.

I have never got into gambling beyond the Grand National and irregular National Lottery punt.

Will be interesting to see how this pans out as the ‘bookies’ are saying there will be job losses and high street shop closures.

There is a guy who my eldest son knows who got hooked on the big odds gaming machines. Currently his wife snd kids are living with her parents and he is in a mental health clinic.

The family house is on the market but not known if this is to pay off debts.

I have never got into gambling beyond the Grand National and irregular National Lottery punt.

Will be interesting to see how this pans out as the ‘bookies’ are saying there will be job losses and high street shop closures.

yeah the bookies are saying they make something like 50% of their money from these fruit loop machines, the mind boggles.
Dunno how I feel about the job losses its work involved in supporting addication and misery to me.

yeah the bookies are saying they make something like 50% of their money from these fruit loop machines, the mind boggles.
Dunno how I feel about the job losses its work involved in supporting addication and misery to me.

Misery sums it up.

My father was a gambler and I remember him in the early 1960s coming home very late from work on Friday ‘piston broke’ - always a feast or famine day. He finally grew up in his late 40s and dropped the gambling and a social drinker. Not sure the gambling machines would have been his thing, horses and cards were his choice. He left my mother comfortable when he passed. These new super speed gambling machines seem to be life destroyers.

interesting to see if anyone here is involved in the business and can share some insider feelings?

The scary thing is that you could bet £100 every 20 seconds.

I used to work for a well known Betting Company that had shops around the country as well as on the internet and places at various Horse Racing events.

These machines were simply put in, to the stop people leaving the betting shops.

You have a race, so punter put money on, then once the race has finished it maybe 20 minutes or so before the next one. Nothing to do? Go the pub.

Problem is the said punter might stay in the pub and so the bookies loose out.

These machines make a VAST amount of money for the Betting Companies but like all betting machines, the odds are stacked against you, simple as.

As for thousands of jobs going and closing bookies.....well that I think is open for debate, there maybe a steam line of some of the less profatable ones but that is just buisness.

In this day and age with so much uncertainty and many other things, limiting the amout these machines are allowed just moves the problem elsewhere, people will still bet, still loose money and if not careful end up in not a good place.

I work for a company that does IT support for a few betting companies. Luckily I don't generally get involved with them but on the occasions I have been the customers in most of these shops don't look like they can afford to spend as much as they do. Once saw one woman who looked like she was homeless place a £200 bet on a race.
These machines have a 20 minute 'responsible' betting limit/warning. When I've noticed the warning pop up on the pc behind the desk the attendant usually gives them a few minutes before stopping the machines for that customer. The customers generally leave at that point but are back within an hour or so once they have done the same thing at the other local bookies!

Some gamblers are just nuts, they even bet on virtual horse racing, they know its run by a computer and the bookies will never lose but they still believe that they might win. I guess its the buzz they are after.

There is also the money laundering aspect, going to be harder to clean a few grand at £2 a go.

Some gamblers are just nuts addicted they even bet on virtual horse racing, they know its run by a computer and the bookies will never lose but they still believe that they might win. I guess its the sbuzz they are after. addiction that drives them.

Fixed that for you.

Fixed that for you.
You could of just added your opinion to the thread rather than alter my post, at least put the 'fixed' (in your opinion) bit in bold.

And yes, I do know some people are addicted, most aren't, but if they think they are going to come out on top against a computer then they are nuts.

Back