Cobra

In Memoriam. TPer Emeritus
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
Off the Back of the Smart meters thread
I have Gas and Electric with Eon, but not duel fuel.
Gas is about £45 / month, and the electric is on a fixed tariff, @ £31 / month, until early 2017.
I've just had my meters read and it seems they want to increase to £54 & £45 respectively.
A few emails complaining that they cannot raise the price on a fixed tariff and bull s*** answers,
I went to another supplier, inquiring about costs.

They (SSE) actually told me how it works,
The unit price is fixed, but if your usage increases, then the price will rise after the fixed term.
Or if its dramatically different mid term they will advise so *I* can icrease the price / month.
Seems the name "Fixed term" is a bit of a con.

Eon Always increase the price of their services every year, and then end up paying me back, as my usage remains fairly static year on year.
Having put my details to the nearest unit into a comparison site (Uswitch) it seems I can save ( going on a years data, to date) £275.
Although that's not totally accurate if I break it down to unit price.
I save about 1/3rd of their price.
However the duel fuel price is £59.97 per month.
instead of the new £99 per month.

I thought the Government was supposed to be making it easier to compare. not harder?
My brain hurts!
But which ever way you look at it, I'm still saving.
Bye Bye Eon...

Have you checked Avro Energy?
We're saving about £300/year from what we were paying to British Gas for dual fuel.

Have you checked Avro Energy?
I have now, and thats not too shabby cheaper than SSE Unit price and standing charge (y)

OVO are the best gas n lec company I have ever been with, well worth a look.
Cheers I'll check them out too (y)
One thing is certian so far, with the projected and actual useage, going on the past 12 months, I can virtually cut my energy bills in half!
And there was me thinking that Eon were a "good deal" Not so much.!

Look at uswitch, they have a uswitch collective plan which saved me £300 a year compared to my E.on tariff. Funnily the plan is with e.on as well ;)

I have a similar setup with EON except my gas is 'de-energised' as I don't use it. It bugs me no end that they continually mess with the direct debit I pay. I know that in Summer I'll use less power and if the DD stays at the same rate I end up building a balance with them which gets used up over the winter as I use more power. EON seem to hate it when that happens and every Autumn lower the DD 'because I'm paying too much' which then leads to them raising it again in Spring when I go into the red with them.

Look at uswitch,
I did that was my first port of call when eon p***ed me off.

Funnily the plan is with e.on as well ;)
LOL eon can't get close to sainsbury's, SSE or avero.
They are all coming out sub £600 / year.
Eon is over £1000 / year :wave: eon!

OVO are £10/ month more expensive than the above btw.

Victor Meldrew strikes again, is this you new hobby, moaning about life :p

I have a similar setup with EON except my gas is 'de-energised' as I don't use it. It bugs me no end that they continually mess with the direct debit I pay. I know that in Summer I'll use less power and if the DD stays at the same rate I end up building a balance with them which gets used up over the winter as I use more power. EON seem to hate it when that happens and every Autumn lower the DD 'because I'm paying too much' which then leads to them raising it again in Spring when I go into the red with them.
This is what I like about smart meters, I know what our normal daily gas and electricity £/day summer and winter.

We've set the dd value to build enough credit over summer to cover winters increased consumption.

Only thing I don't miss are the £££ rebates at the end of the year for the generous over estimated bills.

Victor Meldrew strikes again, is this you new hobby, moaning about life :p
I'm just p***ed off with large companies thinking they can take the p*** and I won't retaliate ...
How wrong they are!
Oh and I just had a customer satisfaction survey from Eon come through on email.
Sometimes the truth hurts, but no point in lying about them was there? :D

The tariff refers to the price per kw/h of energy, not the usage, so if it's fixed tariff, your unit charge stays the same but if you use more you'll have to pay more. Can't see what you're peed off about on this occasion tbh

I bought our first house over a year ago. At the time, the gas and electricity were under British Gas. It was some sort of fixed price promise and I just agreed to it as I had no idea what our usage would be. After a year, I did some calculations and found I'd be £250-300 better off by changing supplier based on the previous readings.

I did promise myself that I'd faithfully do meter readings every month but it always slips my mind. :rolleyes:

They (SSE) actually told me how it works,
The unit price is fixed, but if your usage increases, then the price will rise after the fixed term.
Or if its dramatically different mid term they will advise so *I* can icrease the price / month.
Seems the name "Fixed term" is a bit of a con.

Did you expect them to keep charging you the same irrespective of how much gas and electric you used?

It is fixed. You pay a fixed cost per kwh. They deliberately quote a low monthly price to get you into their tariff.

Always look at the annual figure and divide by 12 or check the TCR - tariff comparison rate. That tells you what it really costs.

That's why I tend to pay on receipt of a bill quarterly. There isn't any of these shenanigans.

The tariff refers to the price per kw/h of energy, not the usage,
I know that now, and it took another supplier, whom I shall switch to, in the near future, to explain it properly.

Did you expect them to keep charging you the same irrespective of how much gas and electric you used?
Yep, that's how it was explained to me when I enquired, so in answer to Andy's comment I'm p***ed off because they lied or at the very least mislead me.

Always look at the annual figure and divide by 12 or check the TCR - tariff comparison rate. That tells you what it really costs.
I've done that now, and I can cut my fuel bills virtually in half by switching.

Is that based on the same usage? Or have they just reduced your payments ;)
Same usage, based on the last 12 months units, to date,
Its fairly stable too, ( over the last 3 years,) so no nasty surprises expected next year :)

Not only that, eon have a 24 & 27p per day standing charge Sainsbury's are 10.5p per day for each one.

Last edited:
I need to change tariff now as well, I know mine's not the cheapest, but when we moved house NPower were offering to come and install a Nest thermostat if you signed up to a certain tariff, and even paying the slightly higher charge for 2 years was cheaper than paying for the installation of a decent thermostat.

I need to change tariff now as well,
Go to the uSwitch web site, if you have your meter readings from the last year, ( either on line or paper) do the sums and put the data into their calculator. you maybe pleasantly surprised what's on offer.

Go to the uSwitch web site, if you have your meter readings from the last year, ( either on line or paper) do the sums and put the data into their calculator. you maybe pleasantly surprised what's on offer.

Yeah already done :) Switching to Npowers best offer takes it down to £70 plus 3 months free Sky Now Cinema, or cheapest on the market is £68 a month

or cheapest on the market is £68 a month
The 3 top quotes for me were a tad under £50 / month :)
There is only 2 of us, ( me and the lad)
Eon. 96.00 / month!!
SSE 49.50 / month
AVRO / 48.91
Sainsbury's 47.00 / month.

Am I misunderstanding your initial rant? Otherwise what did you expect? Did you really think that you could use unlimited energy and pay the same payment each month? The unit price is fixed, but if you use more energy than you originally estimated then your monthly payments will obviously rise. How can it work any other way? Confused?!

Am I misunderstanding your initial rant? Otherwise what did you expect? Did you really think that you could use unlimited energy and pay the same payment each month? The unit price is fixed, but if you use more energy than you originally estimated then your monthly payments will obviously rise. How can it work any other way? Confused?!

Did you bother to read the rest of the thread?

Sticking with a current supplier is often more expensive. Eon did the same to me. As soon as they aren't cheaper I'm off. The electricity and gas from all of them is the same anyway.

Am I misunderstanding your initial rant? Otherwise what did you expect? Did you really think that you could use unlimited energy and pay the same payment each month?
Post #18

Sticking with a current supplier is often more expensive
There are no such things as loyaty discounts, unless you kick up a fuss...

The electricity and gas from all of them is the same anyway.
It all comes down the same wires / pipes :)

At least Eon did me a huge favour, by p***ing me off, I'd looked at comparison sites before and thought "that can't be right"
But having dug around, done my sums ( several times) and spoken to some of the "others"
I now know that there are much cheaper alternatives out there. Thanks eon its been a blast :D

Yep, that's how it was explained to me when I enquired, so in answer to Andy's comment I'm p***ed off because they lied or at the very least mislead me.
You understand though that taken ot its logical conclusion, what you say they told you is that you could theoretically draw the entire output of every power station connected to the national grid and your electricity bills would not rise?

Not happening. Even if we had working fusion reactors producing vast amounts of very cheap electricity, still not happening.

we just moved to sainsburys about 3 months ago and rojected monthly costs down from 105 to 75

Nae, probs, I'm in Deadwood, South Dakota at the moment!
Hmmm I do know someone in SD actually, the other side of the State, from Deadwood, but its not that far by American terms :p

Next :D

WTF? are you a Scottish footballer Mike? :D

Too auld for all that, Hugh.

By the way, got a knife sharpner doodah in Walmart yesterday, details when I get back.

Are Eon that bad? I have just started researching switching and they come out with the lowest price. Is there some hidden catch?

Back