Flare - would a filter help?

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
Bought an "old" manual lens, in very good condition - a Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm f3.5 MC (multi-coated?) Took a quick snap of the local church, part of. I was in the shade of a building to ensure that the lens wouldn't be affected by the glare of the sun, but the image still produce a "ring of flare" in the centre. Would a filter, no idea which, get rid of this when I'm out in sunny conditions? Sorry to be as thick as 2 short planks. It has happened with other old lenses that I've bought. I've used dehaze in when editing, but ...

Carl Ziess Jena 135mm-9651.jpg

No, you need a lens hood.

It's easy enough to make a temporary one by making a tube or shade out of cardboard or something similar. Often just putting your hand over the part of the lens where the sun is getting in can be enough.

Last edited:
Strange thing is, I WAS away from the sun, round the corner of a building and in full shade. Is it the sun's rays bouncing off the building? Or is that just pain daft?

Was there a nearby building, window, car or something that could have reflected the light?

Hmm . . . got me then - the light has to come from somewhere. :(

@Sky I'll try again tomorrow and see what happens. I've got an original Takumar hood that fits, maybe that'll help.

Reactions: Sky
Good luck. Certainly a bit strange - could be aliens I suppose. ;)

Multi-coating can only do so much, so I would try a hood. If this is shot with that adapter with a glass element it might not be helping (especially if it's uncoated).

I may be wrong but I don't think that your example is 'flare'.....I suspect that it's reflection from the sensor's hot mirror. Flare, in its many forms, usually has a more defined edge but sensor reflection (light bounced back into the lens from the sensor) tends to fade out gradually as per your image.

Whether I'm right or wrong, a filter isn't the way forwards....any additional glass-air boundary is only going to increase the chances of flaring.

I had the same lens bought new long long ago, along with the 35mm F2.4 Flektogon with screw thread mounts. With hoods they were pretty flare resistant.

If the sun was nowhere in sight, I'm going to make my guess... hotspots!

https://kolarivision.com/the-science-of-infrared-hotspots/

The above article might be worth a read.

Was your aperture open i.e. in the f/3.5-5.6 range?

If you can see it on the back of the camera, and can reliably reproduce it, try stopping down to f/16 just to see if that affects the image. Some lenses I use for IR work will hotpot badly open, but at the narrower apertures, it's much less noticeable.

Back