Flies on Choisya flowers

GardenersHelper

In Memoriam
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Wow, stunning. # 1 & 7 are my faves. Awesome clarity.

:agree::agree::agree::plus1::plus1::plus1:
Savage shots

Lovely work Nick

Very nice (y) first 3 for me as the contrasty colours appeal #3 my pick.

Nice set Nick. ;)

Awesome set as ever Nick #7 is my favourite and best composition and angle :D

Thanks all for the kind comments. As always it is interesting to see what different aspects of images we variously give most weight to.

This is incredible from a bridge! Any suggestions for a less expensive flash setup because my on camera flash leaves a shadow of the lens with used in many macro situations.

Thanks Ben. For very effective use of on-camera flash have a look at the work of Mark Berkery, who is one of my macro heroes. Search for "velcro" on this page to see Mark's flash setup.

Your comment about a bridge is interesting. I use a bridge camera by preference for single-shot close-up/macro of invertebrates using flash. I have a dSLR (70D) and a micro four thirds camera (G80) and a good macro lens and extension tubes for each of them, but for this type of shot I find a bridge and close-up lenses works best for me.

An occasional exception to this is very small invertebrate subjects such as springtails, for which my G80 is my preferred tool, with powerful close-up lenses (most often Raynox 202 or Raynox 505). But I don't photograph very small subjects very often.

For flowers, for which I use natural light, for several years I found my 70D worked best, but I now use my recently acquired G80 in preference to the 70D. In both cases I found that they worked best for me with a telephoto zoom lens (55-250 for the 70D and 45-175 for the G80), with and without a mild close-up lens (Canon 500D, or occasionally a slightly more powerful Raynox 150), rather than using a macro lens.

The only role I currently have for a macro lens is for stacking, for which my preferred tool is my G80 with an Olympus 60mm macro, although I rarely do stacks at the moment.

My preferred camera for natural light shots of large invertebrates in strong light, such as butterflies and dragonflies, is my FZ200 bridge camera.

So for me a bridge camera is not in any sense second best - it is the best tool I have found for me to use for some sorts of subjects that I like to photograph. Horses for courses etc. :)

Back