Floating Dreams

Edit My Images
Yes
Floating Dreams by Ian, on Flickr

Floating Dreams by Ik-Joong Kang is an installation in the middle of the River Thames near the Millennium Bridge. Made from 500 drawings and illuminated from inside, the lantern is a memorial to the millions displaced during the Korean War (1950-53), and a symbol of hope for the reunification of North and South Korea.

Fuji XE1 and 35/1.4 lens

Last edited:
Thats a great looking image. Taken at the perfect time for the balance of light. Fab sky/background & the icing on the cake (for me) is all the people veiwing on the bridge.

Gaz

Thats really nice Ian.
Like Gaz has said, you have caught the balance between the lantern and the ambient lightjist perfectly.

Thanks both. I was pleased with how this came to. I waited for an hour or so to get the light right so will claim credit for getting the light to balance but I hadn't even noticed the people on the bridge, so that was just luck. I don't think I could have posed the couple on the right and lit by the cube any better had I tried. I might try to clone out the other people (especially the guy in the fluorescent red jacket) to draw more attention to them.

I love that. Its all about waiting for that balance of light.

It is indeed, and it amazed me how quickly the balance came and went. I had three shots in mind from the same location - this one, one from further west looking over the cube and bridge to get the towers of the City in the background, and onw from the east looking under the bridge to the cube. Even though these shooting points were very close, by the time I had taken this shot I had lost the other two.

You lucky so and so. It's not fair that you live so close to good stuff like that when all I have is an empty windswept beach.

Really like this a lot, as said above taken at the perfect time to balance ambient with artificial lighting. I never knew the installation was there, never mind what it was for, so I have absolutely learnt something which is great! Every day is a school day so they say!

Oh and just had a look at your blog, so jealous of you living so close to London! I wish I could spend more time with my camera there and know my way around like you clearly do! Keep up the fantastic work!

Last edited:
It is easy to miss this stuff in London as there is so much going on and things get lost in the confusion. I saw some lovely shots of sculptures of horses semi-submerged in the Thames but they had been taken away by the time I found out. One downside of living here is that rugged landscapes are a long way away. Of course, when I lived in the middle of Scotland I didn't care about shooting landscapes, that only came to me when I moved back here.

It is easy to miss this stuff in London as there is so much going on and things get lost in the confusion. I saw some lovely shots of sculptures of horses semi-submerged in the Thames but they had been taken away by the time I found out. One downside of living here is that rugged landscapes are a long way away. Of course, when I lived in the middle of Scotland I didn't care about shooting landscapes, that only came to me when I moved back here.

Yeah I see what you mean, I have the peak district not far from me and I enjoy going there when I get chance, you might say its on my doorstep, but I find myself wanting to shoot in London which is over 2hrs away! Typical isn't it!

Back