Floral extremes (a few more)

Name
Alexey Danilchenko
Edit My Images
Yes
Continuing exploring the lens (as started in this thread), some more of my feeble attempts to make flowery photos.

1. And then there was light...

p522596889-4.jpg

2. Purple on yellow

p403356864-4.jpg

3. Shy

p318705423-4.jpg

4. Daisy

p71017515-4.jpg

5. Flames

p309247713-4.jpg

6. Purple daisy

p278516305-4.jpg

7. Rose

p246669201-4.jpg

8. Simulating watercolour painting...

p857213604-4.jpg

Last edited:
Personally the soft focus doesn't work for me, prefer to see them nice and sharp.

Thanks.

This is not so much a soft focus but a very shallow DOF that the F/0.75 lens gives me (and it's a fixed aperture so I cannot make it all in focus). Hence the "extreme" title. The parts of them are in focus and pretty sharp too, however the emphasis was on creative use of the lens blurring ability.

I was merely trying to make something creative out of this lens ability to produce OOF blur like this. Hence these photos in no way meant to be an all in focus usual macro shots but rather an alternative view of the floral world...

In the Flames or Shy shots for example, I was trying to convey the graphical representation, mood and certain feeling if you like rather then just a flower shot. This all was provoked by this lens really, for normal macro I would have used macro or reversed lens.

I fully agree that it's not to everybody's taste though so thank you for commenting.

Your shots, in this thread and the other one you've pointed to, are stunning (y)

I never really understood just how shallow a DoF an under f/1 lens would be until I saw these shots, and now realise why the Lieca f/0.95 is just over £5,000 :eek:

I have no idea how much work you've put into making your lens, but the results are fantastic, seriously fantastic.

Thank you for posting these.

If you don't mind, would you put up a thread detailing how you "made" the lens, where you got the bits from etc. I am sure many would love to replicate what you've done.

OK! I just did a google search and came across your thread here, in which you've given the details on making this lens :p

(y)

Your shots, in this thread and the other one you've pointed to, are stunning (y)

Thanks for the nice comments. I'm really chuffed people like them :)

If you don't mind, would you put up a thread detailing how you "made" the lens, where you got the bits from etc. I am sure many would love to replicate what you've done.

It's in one of my thread in TP - here.

Actually, right after seeing this thread, I did a google to search for the lens you've used. I came across your other thread on how you sourced the lens and did the conversion.

Then spent a good while trying to figure out what I'd need, how much it would cost me .. but I had to be log out to be discharged (was in hospital for the weekend).

Now that I'm home, I plan to take your challenge and see if I can rig-up something like that.

Not only are the images wonderful, but I really like your combination of colours. It's all just very well done.

Now that I'm home, I plan to take your challenge and see if I can rig-up something like that.

For the lens source, I have posted the details and Adam seems to have lots of them. You can also try to find them on eBay but they are quite rare nowadays.

The extension rings are bog standard chinese aluminium ones. I believe they all come with the same thread sizes so you can buy several sets with different camera mounts and make your lens universally mounted (since the camera mounting part can be unscrewed like in my example).

The glue I used was ARALDITE Rapid Steel (from Robert Dyas/BNQ/etc). It sets overnight but once set it is rock solid. I cannot detach it no matter how hard I tried (obviously I have not tried a hammer approach yet but I did tried knocking it off).

I really like your combination of colours. It's all just very well done.

The postprocessing is quite minimal actually. I use Lightroom so it is mainly some toning: boosting blacks (the way it comes out from the lens tend to be a bit hazy), may be a bit of highlights recovery (rarely) and adding local contrast. Then I do set a custom WB to alter colour scheme slightly (also not for every shot). And then the cropping - this is it really.

Last edited:
Added one more "dreamy" photo (to the starting message). This one nearly completely OOF but it's deliberately made so to make it look like watercolour painting. Quite nice effect without any "photoshopping" really and looks rwally well in large (well at least I like it ;-)

Edit: all ofthe photos (if anyone interested) are viewable in larger sizes on my site (in this gallery)

Last edited:
I think these are absolutely fantastic, a bit different to the norm and very eye catching. My personal favourite is number 5, it's like an explosion of colour. If i was a bit more technically savvy I'd be right up for giving the lens tinkering a go but since I'm not I'll happily drink in the rewards of your efforts. ;)

I think these are absolutely fantastic, a bit different to the norm and very eye catching. My personal favourite is number 5, it's like an explosion of colour. If i was a bit more technically savvy I'd be right up for giving the lens tinkering a go but since I'm not I'll happily drink in the rewards of your efforts. ;)

The first conversion I've done is dead easy and the only skill you would require is to use an epoxy glue :). The "adapter" (extension ring set) that I glued into lens exists on eBay for practically any camera mount. It's all described in my other thread but I'll be happy to answer any questions in details - just fire away :)

Back