Non UK Florida - Mixed bag of lenses & locations

Name
Chenti
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning All

Heading over to Florida next week for a family wedding, with a day at Disney and another at NASA to make the trip worthwhile.

I’m sat here looking at the lens options and weather forecast and then back at the weight of lenses and the cabin bag.

Although I might take the full range with me in cabin I certainly don’t want to be lugging the bag around in that heat once I am walking around.

Anyone been to Kennedy or Disney Magic Kingdom with some experiences to share?

List of glass on the table as follows

EF-S 10-22 f.3.5/4.5
Hardly used this though might be useful at NASA when trying to get shuttle images. Suspect distance from subject and volume of people nearby going to compromise framing.
It is lightweight....

EF-S 17-55 f2.8
Used to live on the body all the time. Not an L though has IS and takes a good image.
If flash required requires off body to prevent casting and lens shadows.. probably going to be the main lens.

EF 50 f1.8.
Everyone has one right?
Lovely images, just not great focal length on my crop. Will possibly be useful when the light fades on the beach.

EF 70-200L f4
Doesn’t get used much since my 100-400 purchase but lightweight in comparison and takes a lovely image. No IS. f4 in Florida sun should be fine though.

EF 100-400L f4.5/5.6 MK2
Heavy, lovely and close focus.
It’s staring at me right now pleading with me to take it. It’s been on the body a lot recently and we’ve grown fond of each other.
Damn I’m not sure. It’s a beast to carry for long walks.

Not really going to utilise a tripod,though I think taking a mono would be prudent bearing in mind how dark inside the Space Center is going to be.

So, Anybody out there got down to this bit and thought about a reply?

Cheers
Vince

im a nikon guy but here's my lens's list
been florida quite a few times 14 in total
i take my d500 with 10-20mm, 18-300mm full frame lens , + 200-500mm
hope this helps
the 10 -20 is brill at kennedy space centre for when you stood under the huge saturn rocket
the 18-300 is my walkabout lens for 80% of the time for most of the other parks
the 200-500 is for my wildlife pics

im a nikon guy but here's my lens's list
been florida quite a few times 14 in total
i take my d500 with 10-20mm, 18-300mm full frame lens , + 200-500mm
hope this helps
the 10 -20 is brill at kennedy space centre for when you stood under the huge saturn rocket
the 18-300 is my walkabout lens for 80% of the time for most of the other parks
the 200-500 is for my wildlife pics
Thanks very much for your comment
I’ve packed and the space was too tight for the 100-400 so that one is having a holiday of it own and will stay off the body for a few weeks

Yep been to Disney quite a number of times, Nikon kit also, I found I only ever used my 18-200 and 11-16mm, as Holty has said my 18-200mm pretty much stayed on my body the whole time, the only time I really used the 11-16mm was in some of the hotels and Epcot. I did take my 35mm 1.8 for some details but very limited. Got a few images of Disney on my flickr I think!

I've just got back from 2 weeks in Florida, mainly in the parks, and I'd definitely recommend planning carefully about what you're going to take into the park so you're only carrying what you definitely need. This was the 5th time we'd been so I've taken a range of kit over the years. This time I took my Sony A6500 with 16/1.4 and 30/1.4 as my two main lenses, along with a 55-210 for the safari, although it stayed in the hotel for the rest of the time. Looking at my images, the majority were shot with the 16mm.

As well as not wanting to carry too much kit so you don't have to lug it about, your bag check on the way in to the Magic Kingdom will be quicker if you haven't got loads of gear because they will want you to take the camera body out, as well as (sometimes at least!) looking at each lens.

Been twice and going again Thursday!!!

First time, took the X100T, D750, 16/35 f4, 50mm, possibly the 85mm too. The 16-35 was very useful, never really felt the need to go longer than 50mm. Some days I took out just the X100T. The next time, I only took the X100T (plus go pro and camcorder) and this was fine 95% of the time. I like primes and found the 35mm length perfect for most things. Best thing was travelling light and not always having to have a bag which is quicker for park entry plus less to carry round.

This time am just taking the X100F, will do me fine!

My walk-about kit is normally a 24-105 or 28-105 plus a fast 50 and an ultra-wide (21-35 or 12-24) on FF. I've been to *similar* places to those you're visiting (disneyland Paris, Houston NASA) and from your kit I'd take the 10-22, 17-55 and the 50 f1.8. You're a bit crippled by not having a lens longer than the 17-55 without taking the 70-200 (presumably large & heavy) or the 100-400 (even heavier) neither of which I would expect to be terribly useful *in the key places you mentioned* although good for long landscapes or wildlife.

ospreys are as common as anything over there i would not go without my long lens as i like to fill the frame

Back