Flower

Edit My Images
Yes
This was taken with my Sigma APO 70-300 today. I liked the colours but whats all that powder on the petals? Pollen? I didn't notice it until I uploaded it on my laptop. All comments, good or bad welcome...

edit0020.jpg

This picture seems to be soft. Looking at the exif I'd say it was camera shake - 1/80th isn't quite enough for handheld. My suggestion would be instead of using F14 use something nearer F5.6 for a faster shutter.

Indeed. Shame I couldn't tell until I uploaded it. I'll try again tomorrow hopefully and will post back here. Didn't realise the shutter was so slow until you said Ewan. I was shooting in Av to try and get as much of the flower in focus as possible.

Thanks

The colours and lighting look spot on BTW - looking forward to the non-blurry version ;)

Remember if you want fast shutter speeds and a high f-number you can raise the ISO. If you're worried about noise, check out this free noise removal program. It will soften images slightly so remember to sharpen them afterwards if they need it.

You might find a tripod useful. And remember that any breeze or movement in the flower is also gonna cause motion blur in whatever you're shooting.

Thanks for the tips. Any better? Would of preferred a much smaller aperture but it was cloudy + no tripod + shaky hand

Think I might need to wait for a sunny day. Not sure about the narrow depth of field.

edit0023.jpg

Cheers Ewan. Ive ordered a 150 sigma lens so will be interesting to see how much better that performs (Image quality wise).

Tried it for the final time today and pretty much got what I wanted. Bumped the ISO up to 800 and the aperture as small as possible while still having a shutter speed OK for handheld. Got slightly more of the flower in focus.

edit0024.jpg

Back