Flower ...

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Excellent shot ... nice composition and nice subtle tones. Think a little stack to get a few more bits in focus would work nicely :D

Excellent shot ... nice composition and nice subtle tones. Think a little stack to get a few more bits in focus would work nicely :D

I agree. Depending on what aperture was used, and the practicalities of shutter speed etc (I can't see any Exif data), a smaller aperture might be an alternative to a stack.

I agree. Depending on what aperture was used, and the practicalities of shutter speed etc (I can't see any Exif data), a smaller aperture might be an alternative to a stack.

Thanks guys (y)
I`ve not tried stacking, so really don`t have a clue on that one ... @GardenersHelper the EXIF should be showing on flickr (shot at f16)

@GardenersHelper the EXIF should be showing on flickr (shot at f16)

Ah, of course. So it is. My bad. Didn't look there.

f/16 is smaller than I was expecting. Still, smaller would be doable. although perhaps you would feel uncomfortable about going there? I often try more than one aperture for flowers, playing off depth of subject focus against background blur. I find that how that trade-off pans out can vary a lot, depending on the nature of the background and how far away from the subject it is.

Ah, of course. So it is. My bad. Didn't look there.

f/16 is smaller than I was expecting. Still, smaller would be doable. although perhaps you would feel uncomfortable about going there? I often try more than one aperture for flowers, playing off depth of subject focus against background blur. I find that how that trade-off pans out can vary a lot, depending on the nature of the background and how far away from the subject it is.

The flower itself is about one inch cube sized, and it was sat on a tablet light box thing (which for £30 odd is pretty good value imo). I did try at f22 but preferred this one. I will look further into stacking, but do tend to get a bit lazy and hand hold most of the time ;)

Nice light control, so easy to blow out whites with white flowers.

The flower itself is about one inch cube sized, and it was sat on a tablet light box thing (which for £30 odd is pretty good value imo). I did try at f22 but preferred this one.

Was that because you preferred the thinner DoF at f/16, or because the sharp areas were less sharp at f/22? (Or something else of course. :) )

I will look further into stacking, but do tend to get a bit lazy and hand hold most of the time ;)

You can stack hand-held captures. There are some examples here.

Was that because you preferred the thinner DoF at f/16, or because the sharp areas were less sharp at f/22? (Or something else of course. :) )

You can stack hand-held captures. There are some examples here.

I preferred the thinner depth of field tbh

Cheers for the link (y) That`s some serious stacking ;)

Back