Flowers - an open thread.

Hi, it was windy yesterday. I lost patience, cut off the little geranium, and put it in a vase :

L1021847_DxO-z35d-14-c.jpg

In the living-room, it closed its petals in the evening, and opened them again in the morning. - Now, I feel almost a little guilty for cutting it off ...

(Yes, yes, I'm a sentimental old dog ... ---)

Japanese Anemone. I know these are perennials but this has been in the garden for the last 39 years.

JA by Dave Marley, on Flickr

Dave

a gem!! and my favourite flower...comban-wa!
we have had them for years as well..ours are just beginning to build up leaf having been transplanted....probably late summer for the flowers
cheers
geof

Last edited:
a gem!! and my favourite flower...comban-wa!
we have had them for years as well..ours are just beginning to build up leaf having been transplanted....probably late summer for the flowers
cheers
geof

Thanks Geoff and others too. They are remarkable plants that flower every year without any help from us.

Dave

Thanks Geoff and others too. They are remarkable plants that flower every year without any help from us.

Dave

have you tried the japanese wisteria....saw them on the garden show today

cheers
geof

May 15th last year, I'll be doing these again it is only down the field.
But they are later this year here - still barely opening.

33979434288_a5224e4613_b[1].jpg

Inside " Bindweed"

orrFYCK.jpg

No idea what this is

b.jpg

But this has to be a Triffid? right? ( maybe a Lily though :D )
a.jpg

Wildflowers spotted today

Comfrey
A7-01189.jpg

Marsh Lousewort
A7-01191.jpg

Birds-eye Primrose
A7-01197.jpg

Globeflower not quite open
A7-01201.jpg

Last edited:
A single rain drop on a single coral honeysuckle trumpet (With added guests)

371b.jpg

A flower head on a sedum

069.jpg

Glad you like it Cobra, yes Bird of paradise plant (Strelitzia)

The genus is named after the duchy of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, birthplace of Queen Charlotte of the United Kingdom.
thanks to Wikipedia

i love this plant too...cheers
geof

Glad you like it Cobra, yes Bird of paradise plant (Strelitzia)

That's a wonderful set of photos.

I recognised the Strelizia straight away having seen it on holiday in Madeira. It's their national flower btw. I have photos of it and used it on our calendar. Crane Flower is another name too. It's really stunning.

That's a wonderful set of photos.

I recognised the Strelizia straight away having seen it on holiday in Madeira. It's their national flower btw. I have photos of it and used it on our calendar. Crane Flower is another name too. It's really stunning.

i saw my first one there as well...in the gardens at Monte...
did you do the lavada walks at all
never got back for a second visit... wished i could
cheers
geof

i saw my first one there as well...in the gardens at Monte...
did you do the lavada walks at all
never got back for a second visit... wished i could
cheers
geof

Hi Geof.. We went there on the 17th November 2015 and stayed in Fuchal and the temps were in the high 70's which they said was unusual ..We went on a tour, we were lucky and there was just another couple in the personnel carrier. It was on that tour we saw the Strelitzias. I've just checked my Lightroom and we saw them in a village called Santana. The houses had steep roofs like alpine houses but thatched. We just saw them as we walked round. On the tour we did a short lavada walk. Very impressive and we also called in at a wicker factory.
Yes...We did go to Monte Palace but I don't do cable cars...lol...so we went up there on a bus. It's very steep as you'll know but great views over Funchal.

I've just found a website that shows not only Santana houses but the Strelitzia flowers
http://www.madeira-live.com/en/santana.html

We stayed here and if you go to photo 3..sea view with the tower to the left that photo could have been taken from the room we had..
https://www.tui.co.uk/destinations/europe/portugal/madeira/funchal/hotels/the-cliff-bay-hotel.html

We went out to see dolphins but only saw a Loggerhead turtle.. a very large one we were told. The boat people gave us a free second trip the following day, which I thought was very decent of them and we when we did see many dolphins and a pod of pilot whales..right by the boat.

Hope the others didn't mind...:). Great island to go to folks...(y)

A single flower head on one of my house leeks ( Sempervivum )

HL.jpg

And from the same area a single flower head from one of my many sedums.
024.jpg

More close ups I'm afraid

Cotoneaster
( does anyone else think the petals look like prawn crackers ? or is it just me and withdrawal symptoms? :D)

Coe1.jpg

Clematis with a couple of added guests

041.jpg

And a wanna be Clematis

Bud.jpg

Last edited:
Back