Fluffy Typhoon at Dawlish

Nod

Tootles
Name
Nod (UK)
Edit My Images
Yes
Almost didn't want to share these after the horrible event at Shoreham but life goes on for the rest of us.

My thoughts are with those directly affected by that tragedy.

Here are a few of the Typhoon over Dawlish this afternoon. All fairly heavily cropped and resharpened from JPEGs SOOC.

GN1_3300
by Nod on Talk Photography

GN1_3277

GN1_3258

GN1_3208

And the last (of the Typhoon, at least!), a non fluffy one and technically terrible but I couldn't even see the thing directly against the sun so was surprised to get anything from the shot!

GN1_3156

#4 was the tightest crop - the others were all fairly central in the frame but that one was tight in the top right of a portrait orientated shot. Full frame below.

View attachment 44620

I wanted to get to Dawlish today but other events took over, looks like weather held well in the end, love to see the vapour over the wings really like 3208

Thanks for the comments. SO nearly missed 3208 but happily didn't!

We were quite lucky with the weather, although it did come in foul towards the end, causing the Red Arrows to cancel and possibly the BBMF to do the same. We left as the rain started in earnest and made it down the steep, grassy field before it got too slippery. I had worn my golf shoes for the extra grip and I'm glad I took the precaution! At least we got the chance to say goodbye to the Vulcan and hear the howl one last time.

The Vulcan did a special flyby in honour of retired Air Vice Marshall Derek Stapleton on it's way back from the Dawlish show. I was at the football (Axminster v Brixham) taking the match pictures when it flew very very low over us and was unprepared so my photo's weren't great but fantastic to see. It even did a vertical climb and loop before heading off.

Glad you got to see it for one last time, Andrew. Stood on the hill at Dawlish, I counted slowly to 3 and remarked that it had probably just used as much fuel as I would driving to London and back! Makes even a stinky old Field Marshall tractor look clean burning.

Some good shots of the Typhoon there, really like the second one in particular, great angle.
Shame about the weather cutting the display short, disappointing at the time, but when I got home and saw the news, it kinda put things in perspective.
Hope you didn't get too wet, I sat out the rain under a brolly, only to concede that the clouds were not going to lift enough for anymore flying.
Thankfully the field wasn't too slippy on the way down, even after the downpour:)

We set off down the hill as the Seafire was doing its thing and were half way to Dawlish when the heavens opened! As I said above, I was expecting slipperiness so wore my golf shoes. Perfect footwear for the hill;)

Back