Fluorescent Hell

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
A series of evening trail races starts in April and a large number of runners wear fluorescent tops. This causes havoc when trying to edit the images. What happens re camera sensor with the range of greens, yellows, reds and oranges that are SO bright? Race starts at 6:45pm and the light can be poor in the early and late season.

Having shot loads of florescent tops, lots of workmen, and also a whole range of florescent high vis workwear it is as always all about your settings and lighting. Analyse what's there on the day and just dial it all in manually. Done correctly you won't need to edit.

Sorry and to answer your question, nothing much to do with the sensor, it's to do with the light reflecting off them. Lower end cameras however often try to enhance things

If it was for ONE shot, I can understand what you are saying. This is a flood of people crossing a river at speed with all different colours, some fluorescent, others wearing white, grey, black etc.

Is it possible to deal with it in post? The colours are SO bright. They stand out and detract from the rest of the image. Can you "meter" for such a range of luminous colours? Thanks for your help.

Is it possible to deal with it in post? The colours are SO bright. They stand out and detract from the rest of the image. Can you "meter" for such a range of luminous colours? Thanks for your help.

If the light isn't changing fast, only the subjects, then you don't need to change your exposure.

If the colours are confusing the camera's metering then just use manual mode and tweak gradually as the light falls.

A good starting point for me and my D750 - assuming I'm standing in the same light as the subject - is to take a spot reading from the palm of my hand and expose so it reads +1 on the camera's meter.

I usually have to contend with fluoro yellow and it will go to white on the highlights when all else (including the rest of the garment) is perfectly exposed. I guess underexposing (if your camera has good shadow recovery) and a decrease in yellow saturation in post is the best option. Luckily it's not something I have to deal with all that often.

Thanks for that. There's usually an thin different coloured outline on some of the jackets/tops which the "defringe" slider doesn't seem to get rid of. Thanks for all your help.

Thanks for that. There's usually an thin different coloured outline on some of the jackets/tops which the "defringe" slider doesn't seem to get rid of. Thanks for all your help.

You can see the blown highlight in the jacket in the background - link

If you can lay your hands on a vest or two beforehand it would be worth doing some experimenting.

What is the issue, exactly? Hi-vis is what it is to an extent, are you looking to tone down the colour? That could be done locally with masks or with a brush in LR.

Your metering seems fine as the exposure has captured plenty of detail.

Stephen, That photograph is as I expected, the only blown highlights possibly are across the front runners left shoulder and arm,otherwise it is what it is.(y)

Stephen, That photograph is as I expected, the only blown highlights possibly are across the front runners left shoulder and arm,otherwise it is what it is.(y)

Any editing in terms of pulling out shadows etc, makes the "PING" of the colour even worse. I'll refuse to take an image of anyone wearing fluro tops.:D

What is the issue, exactly? Hi-vis is what it is to an extent, are you looking to tone down the colour? That could be done locally with masks or with a brush in LR.

Your metering seems fine as the exposure has captured plenty of detail.

It's the sheer number of images I come back with - 400 runners and around 1000 photos to edit. Really appreciate the comments and advice.

Back