Fly and Honey bee

The first is a fly and the second is a honey bee.

Well done with the fly - the focus falls very nicely on the eye.

Tricky type of shot the second one, especially if it was coming in to land rather than taking off. It is difficult to get these in focus - presumably you had the camera pre-focused on the plant?

Using natural light might add to the difficulty I think. With flash you could, for example, have halved the aperture from f/8 to f/16 which would have doubled the depth of field, giving you more chance of catching the subject in the well-focused area. With a fast moving subject I think there might also be a bit of motion blur even at the 1/400 sec you used. This would certainly be the case for the wings, which you are probably never going to be able to freeze anyway and might not want to in any case, but I'm thinking about the fine detail of the fur.

Well done with the fly - the focus falls very nicely on the eye.

Tricky type of shot the second one, especially if it was coming in to land rather than taking off. It is difficult to get these in focus - presumably you had the camera pre-focused on the plant?

Using natural light might add to the difficulty I think. With flash you could, for example, have halved the aperture from f/8 to f/16 which would have doubled the depth of field, giving you more chance of catching the subject in the well-focused area. With a fast moving subject I think there might also be a bit of motion blur even at the 1/400 sec you used. This would certainly be the case for the wings, which you are probably never going to be able to freeze anyway and might not want to in any case, but I'm thinking about the fine detail of the fur.

Thankyou very much indeed for this advice i am trying to sort out a decent diffused flash and hope to do better next time but it is hard to catch them in flight

Back