Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Nick I am envious, that fly has a nicer beard than mine :LOL:

LOL!

Also of the superb quality in your shots.:clap::clap::clap:
Superb shots
Fascinating set Nick and superb quality as always.

Thanks Charles, Peter, Emma.

Great work Nick. Looks to me like he had a lucky escape from a spider's web.

Thanks Tim. That's what I thought, but I wondered if it might be a fungus.

Incredible detail. Beautiful shots. I'm amazed you got so many shots and different angles. Was the fly still living when you took these?

Initially I thought the leg may have been subject to a fungal attack - Not uncommon for insects, but the leg is normal size, not deformed and the white veil is quite localised on the one leg.
So, I agree with Tim above. I think your fly is wearing a silk stocking. :D

Incredible detail. Beautiful shots. I'm amazed you got so many shots and different angles. Was the fly still living when you took these?

Initially I thought the leg may have been subject to a fungal attack - Not uncommon for insects, but the leg is normal size, not deformed and the white veil is quite localised on the one leg.
So, I agree with Tim above. I think your fly is wearing a silk stocking. :D

:)

Thanks Andy. That makes sense.

Yes, the fly was alive.

I often take series of shots of different magnification and angles. I almost always take as many shots as I can in the hope of getting some that work, and sometimes one angle works better than another. I only stop shooting if the subject sticks around so long that I get the feeling of "if I haven't got a decent shot by now I'm not going to" and start feeling that staying with that one is wasting time that could be better spent looking for another subject.

It depends on where the subject is placed in relation to its surroundings, and in relation to the sun if the sun is out, but where possible I do try for different angles, laterally and vertically. Big changes in angle and/or magnification can make a big difference to the impression you get from a shot. Small movements and small changes in magnification can have a surprisingly large affect on the look of backgrounds.

Agreed, looks like a spiders web, Lovely detail as always Nick and a great series.

Good photo, I think the leg is deformed from an accident with emerging from its pupae, you see this with stick insects when they moult badly.
Obviously wild insects don't tend to survive these accidents so much.

WOW! - Superb shots, lovely colours and incredible sharpness!

Absolutely brilliant!

Thanks Peter.

Good photo, I think the leg is deformed from an accident with emerging from its pupae, you see this with stick insects when they moult badly.
Obviously wild insects don't tend to survive these accidents so much.

That is fascinating. I've never come across that before - but like you say, it isn't likely that one would. Thanks David.

I've only been a member of this forum for a couple of weeks or so, but having seen the high quality of your pictures both here and in some of your other posts, Nick, I'm just about ready to chuck my macro stuff in the river and stick to landscapes!!

I've only been a member of this forum for a couple of weeks or so, but having seen the high quality of your pictures both here and in some of your other posts, Nick, I'm just about ready to chuck my macro stuff in the river and stick to landscapes!!
Nah don't do that, post it to me and I'll make use of it [emoji12] then you can stick to landscape shots [emoji14]

Ha ha. You don't mean that, about the river, kit chuck etc!

I know you believe you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realise what you heard is not what I meant

Oh. Well I hope you don't mean it. :)

Seriously though, one of the great things about close-up/macro is that irrespective of your skill level it gives you entry into a fascinating hidden world, teeming with strange, astonishing and beautiful plants and animals, and their behaviours, life-cycles and interactions, a world of wonderful colours, intricate textures and improbable shapes. Getting better at expressing some of that in our images is a challenge some of us have enjoyed for years - there is always room for improvement, something new to strive for.

The door to that world is open. Do please walk through it and enjoy what is to be found there.

Ha ha. You don't mean that, about the river, kit chuck etc!

I know you believe you understand what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you realise what you heard is not what I meant

Oh. Well I hope you don't mean it. :)

Seriously though, one of the great things about close-up/macro is that irrespective of your skill level it gives you entry into a fascinating hidden world, teeming with strange, astonishing and beautiful plants and animals, and their behaviours, life-cycles and interactions, a world of wonderful colours, intricate textures and improbable shapes. Getting better at expressing some of that in our images is a challenge some of us have enjoyed for years - there is always room for improvement, something new to strive for.

The door to that world is open. Do please walk through it and enjoy what is to be found there.
Thanks Nick, now he'll never throw his kit my way [emoji316]

This is or similar shot to this is what has reignited my interest in Macro.
Really stunning images here and your results are what I am after to.
Like your work.

Back