fly

My thoughts as well Kevin

Both very good I think. A flesh fly I believe.

I use a G80 with Olympus 60mm macro for flowers (very small, very light, very sharp), and another one with a 14-140 occasionally for flowers when I need more reach (and mainly other, non-close-up things). I have used a 45-175 with achromats (mainly Raynox 150 and Raynox 250) a lot for insects etc with G series cameras, which makes me wonder whether an achromat on the 100-400 might work to give you greater magnification. (Not sure how well it would work with the large, 72mm, filter size - might suffer from vignetting and/or be rather expensive to get a large diameter achromat. Probably not the best route for greater magnification.)

Personally I have found I prefer using FZ bridge cameras with achromats (mainly Raynox 150) for flash-based work with medium sized insects (flies, spiders, snails, wood lice, earwigs etc), with the G80 (or Canon 70D) for natural light work with larger subjects such as (only occasionally seen) butterflies and dragonflies, and a G series camera with 45-175 and powerful achromats for (occasional sessions with) very small subjects (the fact that the 45-175 doesn't extend is particularly useful for very small subjects).

Back