Wild Flying low

Another lovely image Den I'm guessing your having fun getting used to your new 500 :)

That's a stunning shot love the way hes flying over the grass brilliant

just need to work out what all the switches are for on the lens

Don't touch the one ... argh, too late! :D

Nice flight shot.

Absolutely superb! What a great image, really fantastic shot.

Is you owl "walking" on your Flickr the same one taken with the same lens? The walking shot is about as cute as can be!

Love this shot, well done.

Yes the latest one is with the 500mm f4 anything before May this year is with the 300mm f4

Which 300mm and 500mm lenses are the ones you use?

The head on shots look fantastic Den, nice work. I actually think your other shot with the dangling legs has the edge in sharpness though.

It's far better working with the 500mm in my opinion, as I think you're finding out - it just gives you that bit extra working distance and breathing space which I find means you can keep your subject in the viewfinder under control better.

I'm liking this recent stuff, keep it up.

Mike

Investment in your 500mm f4 lens is really paying off, Den - a cracking low level BIF (y)

Russ

It is a great capture. :clap:

" I do think the two most important attributes to taking a shot such as your Kingfisher study are 1. money to afford suitable equipment. 2. Free time to devote to waiting for the opportunity to present itself. ! "

Well that takes care of No 1 ;)

Well that takes care of No 1
Roy , i would just like to say that i have only owned the 500mm f4 for two weeks ,i have thousands of Kingfisher ,Barn owls,short eared owls,Little owls and all range of other wildlife shots all taken with just a second hand 300mm f4 and a second hand 400mm 5.6 ,you dont need a 500mm to get wildlife shots ,this as been a subject i talk about a lot when i do talks at natural history clubs and photography clubs .

The head on shots look fantastic Den, nice work. I actually think your other shot with the dangling legs has the edge in sharpness though.

It's far better working with the 500mm in my opinion, as I think you're finding out - it just gives you that bit extra working distance and breathing space which I find means you can keep your subject in the viewfinder under control better.

I'm liking this recent stuff, keep it up.

Mike
Your correct Mike ,its not quite perfect to what i want ,just got to keep at it

" this as been a subject i talk about a lot when i do talks at natural history clubs and photography clubs "

You feel the need to try and impress me Dennis ! Why is that. ;)

" this as been a subject i talk about a lot when i do talks at natural history clubs and photography clubs "

I am not trying to do that at all
Just trying to get it through to you that my equipment prior to a couple of weeks ago were just a 300mm and a 400mm 5.6 and i have not owned a 500mm for long ,if i wanted to impress you i have a long list i could post,but i dont tell everyone my buisness

Were do you get the impression that i am trying to impress you ,i am just telling you that prior to me getting a 500mm f4 i only used a 300mm f4 and a 400mm 5.6 .
The talks were at the request of members of clubs who had seen my images and wanted me to explain how i get my shots without owning big lenses ,thats all ,if you have any issues with me send me a PM because you do seem to be targeting me ,,,,,You didnt reply to me when i asked you what regiment you were in as i was in the armed forces for a while like you ;)

where is the :clap: icon?! Simply stunning Den - fantastic!

Dennis, you are probably a lovely bloke, albeit a little humourless but I have no wish to enter a conversation about my military career.

I posted my nonconformist view on bird photography (with a little intended humour) in your Kingfisher thread and was taken to task by all and sundry. No problem with that whatsoever.
Twice you used the term “ignorant” to describe my opinions with the hoary old adage “no insult intended” in mitigation. I am ignorant in many subjects: quantum physics, taxidermy and the internal combustion engine to name a few but photography ? Nah ! I do not hold the FBIPP with the BIPP but ignorant ? I deny it M'lud.

Only now after reading through old threads on this forum can I see this bird photography genre is a pretty serious subject, not surprising then that my less than reverential approach raised hackles ?
Too late I read where the admin staff chastise you thus “ Don't be quite so touchy that every comment might be aimed at you”

I think I will 'cull' this forum in future (good riddance I hear) I have no wish to encourage excess wear 'n' tear on the 'Ignore' button.

Keep up the bird photography your output is impressive. In fact I am reminded of the great George Bernard Shaw who said:

“A photographer is like a cod, which produces a million eggs in order that one may reach maturity.”

Adieu

p.s " The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind "

I think you are taking all this a bit to serious and probably yourself,i didnt ask you to go in to detail about your milatary career ,just what regiment you were in ,nothing else
If you dont want to tell me thats fine .

Time to move on...A PM helps to take it off the thread were you might get my views on certain issues that we keep via a personal message thats all,dont always want to discuss certain things on a thread were i posted a picture

Last edited:
Back