Flying Scotsman, Penzance

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
No
Back to a few weeks ago, I was due to sail over to the Isles Of Scilly on the saturday morning, but my sailing was delayed to the sunday because of a bad sea and high winds, so this enabled me to attempt pictures of Scotsman. No room to move at all!

Face full of smoke for those facing into the wind!

IMG_0479 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Reversing out of the station

IMG_0511 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

IMG_0514 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

On the rear as she left later on in the only spot I could get!

IMG_0557 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Great set,Michael. Very impressive last shot.I took a shot of Tornado's first visit to Cornwall..maybe it's only visit..from that very bridge in the first shot. Did you go looking for a spot or knew that bridge. Opposite Sainsburys,I think, on the dual carriageway just entering the town.? I had to leave the cottage the day before to check out a location. I then arrived an hour and a half early..lol. Got a good spot on the bridge though.I was able to get St Michaels Mount in further to the left in the first one. Also loads of people. A friend, who has a printing company, printed a 2' X 2 print and it retained all the detail Canon 1D1V. Now extinct. Ie It's not produced anymore. I just use it for loco shots to get the 10fps. It's a 1.3 X crop so a good compromise.

Thanks for sharing the shots, Michael.

I was going to head down to Bishopsteignton to see him go past but a combination of traffic reports (clogged roads due to people going to see him!) and dodgy weather (I was going to go down on a bike to avoid the traffic...) kept me at home. A friend who lives in Bish. went to the spot I was going to head for and it was heaving anyway. Funnily, he can remember heading for a similar spot when he was a kid to see the great new advance in locomotives - the advent of Diesels!!!

Great set,Michael. Very impressive last shot.I took a shot of Tornado's first visit to Cornwall..maybe it's only visit..from that very bridge in the first shot. Did you go looking for a spot or knew that bridge. Opposite Sainsburys,I think, on the dual carriageway just entering the town.? I had to leave the cottage the day before to check out a location. I then arrived an hour and a half early..lol. Got a good spot on the bridge though.I was able to get St Michaels Mount in further to the left in the first one. Also loads of people. A friend, who has a printing company, printed a 2' X 2 print and it retained all the detail Canon 1D1V. Now extinct. Ie It's not produced anymore. I just use it for loco shots to get the 10fps. It's a 1.3 X crop so a good compromise.

Hi John, thanks for looking, iirc it was one of your posts, must have been tornado that I remembered. I have also passed this bridge every year since 2001! I thought, well that's where I am going, I can't do crowds at the best of times, I thought about walking further down the line to the next brige, but decided to stay put. People were appearing out of thin air! It was also raining and wind was around 25mph too! The rain stopped and the wind dried us off. I had a little laugh to myself when everyone alongside facing the wind got a face full of smoke! The last shot of mine I really like too.

Thanks for sharing the shots, Michael.

I was going to head down to Bishopsteignton to see him go past but a combination of traffic reports (clogged roads due to people going to see him!) and dodgy weather (I was going to go down on a bike to avoid the traffic...) kept me at home. A friend who lives in Bish. went to the spot I was going to head for and it was heaving anyway. Funnily, he can remember heading for a similar spot when he was a kid to see the great new advance in locomotives - the advent of Diesels!!!

Thanks for looking Nod, if I didn't leave the b+b when I did I would have to have aborted! Amazing how the advent of something comes to the same place.

Great photographs, well done.

I thought about going down to Penzance to photograph the Scotsman but in the end I decided to stay at my home station Totnes in Devon.

Back