Critique Flying Scotsman.....undecided

Edit My Images
Yes
Tried a bit of panning at 1/100th thinking I was being arty farty :rolleyes: can't mek mind up tbh, possibly too much oof (if not all of it :banghead::D), poor technique.......:thinking:....... but I only got one chance at it running south into the sun, this is what I got :)

All crit welcome, be honest, tell me what you think, cheers

Flying Scotsman.jpg

Last edited:
Why on earth is your image on the homepage showing as a giant yellow bug thing?? :LOL:

IMG_20160110_210631.JPG

I like it. It's a bit dark in general - but you have the front in focus and that's a key element!

Hi Phil

Yes I think I'd agree, bit too much OOF / blur for me...I link to have the whole engine nice and sharp :)

Last edited:
I'd probably lose a little off the right too.

Getting back to FS, to successfully pan, you need to be much further away from the locomotive. That is why there is movement blur on the side. Your lens is presumably following the smokebox number, but the speed of pan to the side is effectively much slower and the engine is moving forward so its is going to be blurred. To pan a shot like this you must try and avoid being on the ¾ view position, it just doesn't work. Get yourself at right angles to the line and be ¼-½ a mile away. If you are going for the archetypal ¾ shot then your shutter speed needs to be much much faster, even if the loco was slow moving.

The clouds and the smoke are also fairly undistinguished, I hope that isn't pp smoke?

But at least the loco isn't in the 'inaccurate' Apple Green livery. ;)

Hi, Phil, not sure it works as a pan, IMHO, panning would work better if you panned as the train was going in front of you. For example linky Shutter speed is a little fast as well. I'd go for 1/30th.

Cheers.

Thanks for the comments. I'd been set at 1/320, f/8,ISO 200 but the other trains I'd shot just looked to be stationary. It really was a last minute split second decision to alter the setting to see if I could impart some movement...........it didn't work as well as it did in mi head :D

The clouds and the smoke are also fairly undistinguished, I hope that isn't pp smoke?

o_O.........I wouldn't know how to add smoke in PP! :D

Good on you for trying something different with a one off opportunity. In hindsight, maybe better taking a nice sharp shot and adding some motion blur in ps but I still like it

The front of the train is the sharpest area of the image which is as it should be but it isn't sharp. The fall of in sharpness looks a little tilt and shift like. Is this due to PP or a relatively small aperture.
Its an awkward decision to choose to pan and what settings etc as I found out when the Spitfires where displaying at summer show.

Back