Flying Scotsman visits the Highlands

The Flying Scotsman 60103 paid a rare visit to the Scottish Highland line on May 10 2019. The world famous A3 Gresley Pacific steam locomotive hauled a Steam Dream’s excursion assisted by the B1 class “Mayflower” 61306 . Unfortunately, the Scottish weather decided not to play ball and you can see the rain on this image.

View attachment 246555

I quite like this as it shows "normal" weather conditions rather than that of bright sunshine and that has also made for a large smoke plume.

Nicely caught despite the weather, there was an article on the BBC News website the other week about people trespassing on the railway to get shots of the Scotsman which caused a 100's of trains to be delayed and fears that it might not be allowed on main lines...

It's very good to see this loco without hoards of onlookers and some causing the problems mentioned by Geoff. They had to stop it and the regular trains at Cam & Dursley near Gloucester a while back because people were right by the tracks...infact on them according to the below article (link) There's talk of it not travelling to places it hasn't been before on the assumption, I presume, that not so many people will go again to see it locally and,as mentioned by Geoff,withdrawn altogether.

https://www.gazetteseries.co.uk/new...-on-the-railway-near-cam-and-dursley-station/

This was the news article on the BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-48229400

I know some heritage railways allow paid for lineside passes, like the KWVR, it's usually on conditon that you're a member and wear a hi-viz vest.

Last year the Scotsman visited the East Lancs Railway several times and to be honest there are plenty of places to see it. It would be sad if it was banned from main lines after the 2 million spent restoring it just because of a few idiots.....

It returned south a day later than was originally planned due to some problem (breakdown?) and I was unable to get more photos of it on that particular day - typically it was also a much better day for taking pictures! Hopefully there will be another occasion to see it on the Highland Line.

Back