Flying Scotsman

-Oy-

Worzel Gummidge
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Great to see Flying Scotsman back in steam after the big 10+ year refurb! Summerseat on the East Lancs Railway today.

24212579451_dd7f4ab444_b.jpg

Lovely picture. Thanks for sharing. Great to see the Flying Scotsman back again.

OY! when did it sunshine? :p

Nice one Dave!
Froze my bollards of at Bury, the platforms were heaving! Elbows were the order of the day.
Hope it's a bit quieter next week.

A nice picture, great to see her back in steam.

I am not over keen about the German style smoke deflectors but reading about the history of the rebuild it seems that they are needed because of the double chimney being fitted.

Great shot Dave - yes really nice to see it again after so many years - saw it very briefly yesterday running and it was great

Hoping the weather is nice next weekend so I can try to grab some shots...

OY! when did it sunshine? :p

Was thinking the same thing, it's been bloody miserable here

Froze my bollards of at Bury, the platforms were heaving! Elbows were the order of the day.
Hope it's a bit quieter next week.

Yes, heard it was absolutely chaos in Bury so didn't even try, expect Rammy was the same...

Am going to try a couple of places near us next week if you fancy a trip

Was thinking the same thing, it's been bloody miserable here

Yes, heard it was absolutely chaos in Bury so didn't even try, expect Rammy was the same...

Am going to try a couple of places near us next week if you fancy a trip
Hi Andy!
I was thinking of 'The Gap' at Burrs, but if you know somewhere better.......
.....can you see it from your house? If I remember right, your coffee was good! :D

Hi Andy!
I was thinking of 'The Gap' at Burrs, but if you know somewhere better.......
.....can you see it from your house? If I remember right, your coffee was good! :D

No unfortunately not, as they've got rid of the railway tracks behind us, which is a real shame.

Was thinking Ewood Bridge as you can get them climbing up put of Orwell vale - there are a couple of places around there you can get to :).

Might have a walk back up River Irwell towards Motorway bridge and catch it climbing up there as well...

I sense a trip in the planning :)

...and @wontolla and I do need to meet up soon to exchange packages :)

No unfortunately not, as they've got rid of the railway tracks behind us, which is a real shame.

Was thinking Ewood Bridge as you can get them climbing up put of Orwell vale - there are a couple of places around there you can get to :).

Might have a walk back up River Irwell towards Motorway bridge and catch it climbing up there as well...

Is that near Animal Farm or is it the Road To Wigan Pier? :LOL:

Nice shot Dave, but why has the Flying Scotsman been painted in a drab matt black colour, I'm sure it was a lovely high gloss green in it's heyday.

Can we all make Sunday morning?
What's the parking like there?

Nice shot Dave, but why has the Flying Scotsman been painted in a drab matt black colour, I'm sure it was a lovely high gloss green in it's heyday.

Wartime colours apparently. It seem they want to do some sort of proper "unvieling" at York in February - she's to be painted green and have the proper nameplate put on.

It's in wartime colours, kinda camouflage from enemy planes.

EDIT:-
Been practising typing Dave?

Last edited:

Its painted in the wartime colours while its running in (in case they have to rip it apart). Then due to be painted in LNER apple green and finally into BR Brunswick green during the 10 years before the next boiler overhaul.

Awww, I thought I was going to see Billy Connolly skydiving.

Great photo of the old choo choo.

Great shot Dave, I was just down the track from Summerseat, tried a bit of arty farty panning but not sure I got what I was after :D

Yep - no idea about parking - never been there.

No parking on main road, but a quick google map shows on street at the village just over the river, Bridge Street.

Can we all make Sunday morning?
What's the parking like there?

Yep - no idea about parking - never been there.

Depends on where you want to go exactly, but normally, no issues at all...

No issues around Ewood Bridge and easy enough to find some parking near Rawtenstall for the walk back along River...

Sunday should be fine for me, I'll check

No parking on main road, but a quick google map shows on street at the village just over the river, Bridge Street.

I see it.

Climbing out of Irwell Vale to there looks like a shot of them going Northbound? That'd be tender forward!

Another thing to remember, the train pulls forward from Irwell Vale to Rawtenstall and then pulls backwards from Rawtenstall to Bury (if that makes sense) - so can get shots around Irwell Vale / Ewood Bridge as it's on it's way to Rawtenstall and then move to next area for it's next journey from Irwell Vale to Rawtenstall as plenty of time, if wished...

Another thing to remember, the train pulls forward from Irwell Vale to Rawtenstall and then pulls backwards from Rawtenstall to Bury (if that makes sense) - so can get shots around Irwell Vale / Ewood Bridge as it's on it's way to Rawtenstall and then move to next area for it's next journey from Irwell Vale to Rawtenstall as plenty of time, if wished...
Sounds good!

I meant the other end of Irwell Vale Road where it comes out on the A6257 at Ewood Bridge.

Sounds good!

I meant the other end of Irwell Vale Road where it comes out on the A6257 at Ewood Bridge.

On the map - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.6835191,-2.309588,18.03z

It's Blackburn Road, the B6527 and you can see where it crosses the train track - there's plenty of room to stop on the main road, were are also a couple of areas just off the road if wished...

You can also go up Hardsough lane as another option...

Last edited:
Think you're on about Irwell Vale - which could be packed out.

Irwell Vale was fairly quiet today with just a handful of photographers on the small field and a couple of families on the halt each time we went through. A couple of brave souls lower down in the field opposite the halt looked like they were sinking.

Generally speaking I'd say that Bury to Heywood there is very little to enhance a shot though Heywood station area is Ok if you are early enough to get a spot - better backgrounds the opposite side of Bury.

If Riley's manage to fit working brakes this week it shouldn't be double-headed which should help with the timetable.

In terms of things like the smoke deflectors...an 'authentic' look was what was being aimed for. Not practical but it would have been cool if they'd kept it to single chimney and no smoke deflectors whilst it's in black base as that would be more authentic to the so called 'wartime' appearance (which is also a joke given that it is wearing three different numbers and has had three different headplates over the past three days). However, I'm glad that they are running it in base black for a few weeks and that it will do a mainline charter whilst still black.

Back