Flying Scotsman

That looks great in the snow,i think if it was mine i would take out the fence line.:)

its a pity its got that diesel engine behind :( great capture in the snow.

Hoof, the previous weekend it was being helped by another steam train, but last weekend it was the diesel. It was still fantastic to see though. I know very little about trains but apparently it's not designed for the small lines we have up here, so it needed the extra help or there'd be issues with the new boiler etc.

I may be wrong but i think the diesel is just in case it breaks down as it was on one of a number of test runs. As it turns out, the brakes aren't performing as the should

I may be wrong but i think the diesel is just in case it breaks down as it was on one of a number of test runs. As it turns out, the brakes aren't performing as the should

Ohhhh okay. That makes sense... I was just listening to some spotters in conversation :-D

God help us when the Flying Scotsman needs help i grew up with it doing the ton up and down the country. Those where the days long gone. i'm getting old keep looking at things through rosey coloured glasses.

God help us when the Flying Scotsman needs help i grew up with it doing the ton up and down the country. Those where the days long gone. i'm getting old keep looking at things through rosey coloured glasses.
It only needs help just in case, after its major rebuild. Once it has proven itself it will be under its own steam (pun intended). Unfortunately, it will be going down south to do its work!

It only needs help just in case, after its major rebuild. Once it has proven itself it will be under its own steam (pun intended). Unfortunately, it will be going down south to do its work!

I heard it's going to York... is that temporary at the museum?

It's only things I've read. Can't imagine it will spend time as a museum piece given how much time and money they have spent on her.

The site says the following so it must be temporary before heading down south...

"When can I see Flying Scotsman at the National Railway Museum?
Between 26 February until 7 March and again between 25 March and 8 May."

I must go over and see it. I know someone who was supposed to be on it today with a 6:30 start from Manchester Victoria but unfortunately they pulled the FS due to its brake problems.

Gets us all....

My memories of steam in the late 50s and Early 60s. Travelled from Euston heading for Holyhead 4 times sa year on the boat train. One year it became electric engine to Crewe and steam onwards to Holyhead. Off the train at Crewe to watch the engine change (took about 15 minutes which gave my dad time for a pint in the buffet on the platform!). The yards beside the station filling up with steam engines going for scrap. Then one trip it was a diesel to Holyhead. Always hanging out the window as we went past RAF Valley.

The scrap steam engine yards slowly emptied and the time came and the engines were all gone. I knew I was getting old when those yards started filling up with diesel engines going for scrap. Class 24 and 25 at first then the bigger ones.

So the picture above brings a bit of a lump in the throat. Memories of train spotting at Kings Cross and Euston etc. To see a living beast pulling a rake again.... priceless.

I have the East and West Somerset lines close and Bath and Bristol Temple Meads are often visited by rail tours too....

Great capture Wayne, was def cold last weekend, but well worth the wait to see it - have you added the snow falling to the shot ?

Oh, and it's Irwell Vale - looks like you've been the culprit of the auto-correct like I was :D

Lovely shot, as someone else said shame about the diesel loco. Let's hope it proves itself and soon runs without any assistance.

Suuuuuuperb!

Thanks all, and glad to hear it's on the mend. Can't be easy meeting deadlines with that sort of machinery!

Don't usually get to see them in snow conditions so well worth braving the cold, superb shot. I travelled south of Bristol one day to photograph 'Brittania' Immediately behind it was a diesel,as mentioned above...a back up for whatever reason.

Very nice. Hope you weren't standing there too long waiting. You must have been frozen.

Nice shot on my local line, see latest elr news back cover and a few others. Would not change this at all

I thought this site was called Talk Photography, not oooh great capture... as per flickit

pity about the old ews 31 running behind her though, rather spoils ambience. Nicely composed, but perhaps a bit of cropping to remove some of the untidy weeds in the foreground, bottom right, may help the eyes focus on the loco without distraction

Back