weekly FlyPhot's 52 for 2019 Thread - Week 52 'Out-Take (and finished)' Added

I had a couple of ideas for this week, but these 2 ideas made the cut, and the first one was the one I preferred:

Food 1

Food 2

Last edited:
1st shot for me Jim, love the whole image and very nicely taken it is too.

Thanks, i'm really pleased with it. I was playing with a lamp that I made, which has one of those old fashioned looking lightbulbs with an orange-ish glow, so tried to backlight just the slate in the background (which I obscured with a wide aperture) and it's worked quite well I think.

I like the first one (I like the both, but I like the first more!), and I think it's clever that you've put the mushrooms on a log where you'd typically find shrooms. Lighting is really effective too and works well.

Nice shots - it's the 'shrooms for me :)

Food, nice idea and well executed.

Smooth (as in smoothing plane) ...

Smooth, a good shot Jim liking the bits of dust on the blue vice good colourful image and nicely on theme.

Thanks, I must admit when I got it into pp I did wonder if the colour is all abit "samey", but the more I look at it, the more I like the blue of the vice standing out. In terms of the dust, that just shows that I haven't cleaned my workshop very well for quite some time (it's a tip!!). :ROFLMAO:

It’s an excellent idea for the theme I’m not sure on the inclusion of the vice i feel it makes it a bit unbalanced. I think the plane with the wood shavings would have been enough.

No1 food for me. Works great and gives the concept of the funghi growing on the branch. Good colours too

Smooth - nailed it mate. Everything there works well

Great concept Jim!(y)
Well lit and the colours work well together.
I can see what Allan means....perhaps a tiny bit right heavy, still a cracker however, and I do like the detail in the vice.
Proof indeed that an image of a plane isn't plain!!:giggle:

Big comment catch up
Cold - right on theme, a very striking image and the background suits it
Waiting - I agree 4 good images I like your 1st choice best.
Rough - nicely captured just as others have said just enough movement in the blade
Object - I hope it was a good surprise.
Wet- Focus is right where it should be lovely detail.
Free week - superb sunset great colours
Entrance - the B/W really suits it
Young - Good DoF
Food - 2 good shot but my preference is the mushrooms I like the staging nicely done
Smooth - I love the curl of wood the wood shaving good choice for the theme.

Smooth is nice, really like the grain of the wood in the shavings. Well lit with nice colours!

Hi Jim

Wet, clever for the theme, good use of colour and composition.

Free, excellant Image, love the colour of the sky against the blackness of the hills.

Entrance, nice shot, good use of B&W

Young, lots of young buds/shoots this time of year, well it is spring, good DOF and lines

Food, Can't see these images on TP. On Flickr the mushrooms look good (nice background colour) and are better than the eggs .

Smooth, nice fit for the Theme and blue colour stands out well, I like the curl of the waste coming out of the plane.

Pete

Lit from Above

This is a Remembrance poppy from the exhibition that was placed at the Tower of London some years ago. I was really struggling with an idea for an image for this week when I suddenly had a flash of inspiration -- I noticed this ceramic poppy being lit by one of our downlighters. Hope you like it (i've played with decreasing the clarity in PP to try and give it a more ethereal look) ...

Hi Jim,

Young - I'm struggling with this one, you have to know what it is to understand the shot. it doesn't sell the theme for me, sorry.
Food - I think the mushrooms for me.I like the contrast of the (off) white with the orangy red background. Nicely detailed too.
Smooth - Bang on for the theme. Lots of detail and good to see you've avoided the cluttered background of a garage.
Above - The lighting has worked nicely and a great thing to have (y)

Hi Jim,

I'm going with the mushrooms for Food. A nicely lit and composed shot.
I'm liking your smooth image very much too. Nice an clean and I love the grain in the shavings.
That's a lovely image for Above. Nicely lit and makes me stop and think too. A great strong image.

Above
Yup, that works well. Having the neutral colour wall and vase, really makes the poppy stand out.

Hi Jim,

Two perfect choices for FOOD but the mushrooms are my favourite, they look really effective on the log and I like the muted shade you've chosen for the background too, a really nice image.

SMOOTH another super choice, I really like the blue against the light wood, and the shavings add that extra interest and dimension to the photo.

ABOVE Sometimes simple is best and that definitely works really well, I like the placing in the frame it adds to the overall feel of the shot, it looks very contemplative. very nicely done.

A bit of a shoehorn here I'm afraid. But it was a nice 'hot' day in Wilmington, North Carolina when I visited USS NORTH CAROLINA, a battleship memorial. IMG_20190420_172430.jpg

Last edited:
Shoehorn or not, it certainly looks like a hot and beautiful day so I'd say it fits for me. I like the focus on the chain - it has the effect of making the other people in the shot almost disappear .

Great image Jim!
I agree with Lee....I can really sense the heat of the day in this image.
The vignette works well with the guns, drawing you into the frame, and as Lee also says, where you've placed the focus is a nice touch.
(y)

Back