weekly FlyPhot's 52 for 2019 Thread - Week 52 'Out-Take (and finished)' Added

Hi Jim,

Looks like I've not visited your thread in a while...

Empty - Very well controlled light and dark there, that range could have been a nightmare to capture.
Plastic - (I think - no title on your page). That's the problem with the current generation(s), too much use of plastic. In our day that would have to have been made of glass bottles, except it wouldn't as we would have taken them back to the shop for the deposit... Liking the colours and imagery.
Interior - Okay, I'm going to be picky here. The image needs straightening. The right leans to the right, the left to the left. Perspective is okay, but this is getting wider as you look up, not narrower. Sorry.
Life - :) Loving the expressions you've captured. I'm hearing 'superman' in by head.
Free week - For me it's actually the long and winding road that jumps out. It exemplifies the countryside, including that telegraph (I think) pole in the middle of nowhere.
Closed - I do like your choice, very urban and forbidding. I am going to mention verticals again though (rhs).
Wide - #2 for me. Because Railway / Railway Architecture. Lovely and mono suits it a treat.
Dirty - Portrays the theme whilst not actually being filthy. Works well.
Drink - I'm with Dom here. I think it would work better freezing water droplets.
Full - Hmm, braver than me. I wouldn't be getting up that close that that wee beasty. Good to see a fog plan in action.

Hi Jim,

Looks like I've not visited your thread in a while...

Empty - Very well controlled light and dark there, that range could have been a nightmare to capture.
Plastic - (I think - no title on your page). That's the problem with the current generation(s), too much use of plastic. In our day that would have to have been made of glass bottles, except it wouldn't as we would have taken them back to the shop for the deposit... Liking the colours and imagery.
Interior - Okay, I'm going to be picky here. The image needs straightening. The right leans to the right, the left to the left. Perspective is okay, but this is getting wider as you look up, not narrower. Sorry.
Life - :) Loving the expressions you've captured. I'm hearing 'superman' in by head.
Free week - For me it's actually the long and winding road that jumps out. It exemplifies the countryside, including that telegraph (I think) pole in the middle of nowhere.
Closed - I do like your choice, very urban and forbidding. I am going to mention verticals again though (rhs).
Wide - #2 for me. Because Railway / Railway Architecture. Lovely and mono suits it a treat.
Dirty - Portrays the theme whilst not actually being filthy. Works well.
Drink - I'm with Dom here. I think it would work better freezing water droplets.
Full - Hmm, braver than me. I wouldn't be getting up that close that that wee beasty. Good to see a fog plan in action.
Thanks for the constructive comments, very much appreciated. I can see your points and I'll take them on board.

Here is a building, being built on a building site (and it's a very, very nice building too! and nearly finished by the looks of it) ...

And here's another building, at the other end of it's life, on another building site about 200 yds away from the first. This one is for sale for £1.2 million if anyone is interested (it is huge and has stacks of land with it) ...

Last edited:
Two very nicely taken images for building Jim, really liking both of these. #1 is a lovely low ish taken shot showing this lovely new building, and the #2 is just as great because I like the old sepia treatment you gave it.
Many thanks Dave. I chose the sepia processing as I thought it suited better than pure mono B&W, it seams to give it a bit more contrast.

These are great images Jim!:clap:
As Dave @Dave70D says, #1 - the angle is terrific and really gives it an impressive impact.
#2 is tremendous, I really like the sepia processing too, gives it an wonderful, aged quality....certainly is a grand old building.
I'd love to buy it, but I have exactly a million times less than the asking price!!:LOL:

These are great images Jim!:clap:
As Dave @Dave70D says, #1 - the angle is terrific and really gives it an impressive impact.
#2 is tremendous, I really like the sepia processing too, gives it an wonderful, aged quality....certainly is a grand old building.
I'd love to buy it, but I have exactly a million times less than the asking price!!:LOL:

Thanks Gareth. I'm sure it will be a fantastic, grand building once it's been renovated - I really do hope that it's not bulldozed for a modern house (or worse, houses).

Two nice and very different buildings. The old one looks a bit spooky :)

Building
For me the 2nd shot looks better too me. It's got that old, decaying feel. Not normally a fan of the sepia look, but it works here.

Soft Toys

My grandson's soft toys, ready and waiting on his bed. Natural light used.

Last edited:
Lovely, colourful image Jim!(y)
Very nice light too.
Ooo, look....it's Eeyore!:giggle:
A charming and happy image indeed!

Thanks Gareth, it's not my favourite so far but it seems to work and I do like the light (I must admit it was a bit of a rush job).

Hit the theme. I can't help wondering if adding a bit of vibrancy in pp wouldn't give it more impact.

Thanks for the comments, you could be right about the vibrancy, i'll have a look when I get the chance.

Soft
I think you could brighten it up just a touch.
I like the idea and colours.

A couple of options for Old: (both using Rule of Thirds)

Last edited:
Hi Jim

Shot 1 for me too, good conversion, lots of tones and detail in the image.

Pete

Shot 1 for me too, nicely captured :)

Another vote for #1 here too Jim!(y)
Great set of old things and well composed too...looks great in mono, really brings out the textures - especially the spade on the left...lovely stuff!
I like #2 too, it's a different take on it, and that's no bad thing.

Nice set of tools!

Take yer pick :D

Shot 1 for me too, nicely captured :)

Thanks#

Another vote for #1 here too Jim!(y)
Great set of old things and well composed too...looks great in mono, really brings out the textures - especially the spade on the left...lovely stuff!
I like #2 too, it's a different take on it, and that's no bad thing.

Thanks, I went for the B&W PP exactly for the reasons you've said

Nice set of tools!

Take yer pick :D

cheers

Old
#1 for me, it's got good textures.

Thanks

#1 for me too. Works really well in B&W, which emphasizes the age.

Indeed, many thanks.

Week 38 'Flower'.

Poignant at any time, but especially at this particular time for me.

Back