weekly Flyphot's 52 for 2020: Week 52 'Decorate' added

Not sure what I'm looking at, fishing? boating?
It certainly looks old and battered.

it's a hanging rack I made from old horseshoes some years ago, for gardening tools (original post now amended)

Nice composition but a little dark. The histogram looks well to the left.

I see what you were going for a gritty black and white but it does seem a little dark which kind of kills it a bit, I do like a bit of rust maybe colour would have been better.

Nice composition but a little dark. The histogram looks well to the left.
I see what you were going for a gritty black and white but it does seem a little dark which kind of kills it a bit, I do like a bit of rust maybe colour would have been better.

Thanks for the feedback, yes I agree it is a little dark I could have maybe pushed it right a bit.

Lovely image of the old horse shoes Jim lots of lovely texture in there and a great black and white conversion at first I thought it may be a touch to dark but actual I think it's just right.

Lovely image of the old horse shoes Jim lots of lovely texture in there and a great black and white conversion at first I thought it may be a touch to dark but actual I think it's just right.
Thanks, really appreciate the feedback

Its nice to see you put some old items to good use. I like the closeup but just a tack too dark for my taste. Each to their own I suppose.

Thanks Stan

Old
You can make quite a few things from old horse shoes, I've made some gate latches before.
I don't mind the darkness myself, you've captured the textures well.

Old
You can make quite a few things from old horse shoes, I've made some gate latches before.
I don't mind the darkness myself, you've captured the textures well.

Thank you. Yep, I have a stables nearby (not mine) and a welder in my workshop - trivets, tool hangers, boot jacks etc, etc etc, it's all useful stuff ;)

Great rack.. I bought a candle holder made from racehorse shoes last xmas at a craft fair. The seller had all sorts of interesting designs.
Nice textures - perhaps a tad dark but doesn't deter from the composition for me.

Great rack.. I bought a candle holder made from racehorse shoes last xmas at a craft fair. The seller had all sorts of interesting designs.
Nice textures - perhaps a tad dark but doesn't deter from the composition for me.

Thanks Helen

Love your rack image, imo works well slightly dark.

Vert interesting image, looks great and really suits the B&W treatment.

Here's week 21 'Liquid'. Before anyone says it, yes the 'elephant in the room' is the socket on the wall, but all of our under-cupboard lights shine down to where there is a socket so it was unavoidable unfortunately, as I wanted to use the warm light that they produce and the backdrop of the tiles.

Nice idea for Liqud Jim I had a similar thought.:eek: I quite like the lighting on the background tiles. The only thing that lets the image down is the wall socket I find that quite distracting as my eye is drawn to it.

The back lighting works well. As Mark said.. the socket is a little distracting.

Nice idea for Liqud Jim I had a similar thought.:eek: I quite like the lighting on the background tiles. The only thing that lets the image down is the wall socket I find that quite distracting as my eye is drawn to it.
The back lighting works well. As Mark said.. the socket is a little distracting.

Thanks. Yep, hence my mention of the socket in the description, unfortunately nothing I could do about it and have that warm lighting behind.

I'm not actually that fussed about the socket, I think a little more light on the front of the mug would help.
As an overall shot I like what you've done. The warm light was the right choice.

I'm not actually that fussed about the socket, I think a little more light on the front of the mug would help.
As an overall shot I like what you've done. The warm light was the right choice.
What socket :D Still a cool shot Jim and bang on theme.

Thanks for the comments ;)

I can see what you're trying to achieve there, Jim but limited by what you have. Image wise I like the warm colour cast and the light on the cup/mug outline but like to see where the liquid came from or the tip of the spout.
Sometimes you just have to work with what you have. Seems perfectly fine to me.
I *suppose* you could have put a couple of decorative bottles in front of the socket maybe? but...

Thanks for the comments

Nice idea - perhaps use the socket as part of the scene by plugging in the kettle and have a little bit of kettle showing pouring the water?

I like the socket, it's blur means it's not very intrusive. Colours and composition are excellent. I also like the shadow cast by the mug. Great photo

Week 22 'Household Item(s)'.

A classic shot well taken Jim.

I'd say you forking well nailed that Jim :D

Back