weekly Flyphot's 52 for 2020: Week 52 'Decorate' added

The shadows (the whites of the boats) look a tad blue Jim, have you pushed the blue channel a bit in pp?
A quick fix (if you want to keep the sky like that) is to mask off the sky and de-saturate the rest of the shot a bit to bring the whites back.

Of course, I wasn't there. For all I know it really was that blue !

Lots of boats, nice light on the apartments too

Good angle and nicely balanced... I can't decide if it needs straightening or not.. but then I've never been renowned for my horizons!

The shadows (the whites of the boats) look a tad blue Jim, have you pushed the blue channel a bit in pp?
A quick fix (if you want to keep the sky like that) is to mask off the sky and de-saturate the rest of the shot a bit to bring the whites back.

I don't touch the colours in PP, just add contrast (a tad), highlihghts down, shadows up, whites up (if needed), blacks down (if needed) and a bit of clarity (that could be where the 'extra' blue has come from?).

cheers for the tip as well.

Lots of boats, nice light on the apartments too
Good angle and nicely balanced... I can't decide if it needs straightening or not.. but then I've never been renowned for my horizons!

Thanks for the kind comments (it probably could do with a tiny bit of straightening - it leans right a tiny bit I think)

Lots going on in this image, particularly like the POV.

I don't touch the colours in PP, just add contrast (a tad), highlihghts down, shadows up, whites up (if needed), blacks down (if needed) and a bit of clarity (that could be where the 'extra' blue has come from?).

cheers for the tip as well.

here's another copy of it, with the WB adjusted from the boats in shadow - it does look warmer I must admit.

DSCF5497.jpg

Last edited:
The walk way leads in nicely. The original was very blue, but I quite liked it.

Hi Jim, nice view down the walkway.

Thanks, that was the plan so i'm glad it worked

Beautiful rich colours and a great PoV too Jim!(y)
I love the lines and the second image is indeed warmer, but I still like the blue tones of the original.

Thanks, i'm undecided which I prefer (auto WB in the X-Pro 1 seemed to struggle with the sky and shoadows in this one - I do think it was a bit more on the blue side IRL though)

Nice lead in, bang on theme. Like it!!

The walk way leads in nicely. The original was very blue, but I quite liked it.

Thanks, as above i'm undecided.

Nicely shot, I like that.

I like the warmer feel of the second shot. An interesting and unusual angle of view. Are you a sailor? I've done a couple of yachting trips around the West coast of Scotland. Most enjoyable.

Thanks for the comments. Im in the Royal Navy, so you could say i'm a sailor ;) I don't have a boat but do like being around the water. This marina is in a town close to where I live.

Definitely the warmer shot for me. Looking at the angle down to the pontoon - low tide's a bugger... Wouldn't want to fight a trolley up or down that!

Cheers, yep the tidal range here is quite large.

Great image for pleasure Jim nice use of the ramp down to the jetty to pull you into the image

Love your landscape. The composition really works with the lines leading you into and around the image. Definitely think the warmer image for your second image works really well.

Thanks, really appreciate the comments.

I like both versions, but maybe prefer the warmer version.

Nice leading lines and definitely a place for pleasure [emoji4]
I also like both, but having seen the second version I would probably pick it for the warmer tones. The low POV and strong leading lines are a good choice and work very well (y)

Thank you both for the kind comments, really appreciated.

The warmer version for me too Jim. Like everyone else I like the lead in to the shot.

The warmer version for me too Jim. Like everyone else I like the lead in to the shot.

#cheers.

interestingly, it was a very cold, but bright day and I actually think that the camera did a good job on the shadows, I just warmed it in PP by taking a read from the white boats in shadow. I also prefer the warmer version, but I think the colder version is more true to original.

Perhaps we are all desperate for warmer drier days ahead ;)

Here's my entry for Week 3 'Tools' & Tech Silhouette

The people in the boat are using the tools of their recreation. This wasn't the image I initially had in mind but I think it fits nicely, and I've also got the rock outcrop in silhouette so the tech is covered too. Hope you like it ...

DSCF5572.jpg

If you're interested, this is an image of The Ness, at the mouth of the River Teign in Devon. It was a lovely misty morning this morning, shame the high level clouds didn't play ball but I did manage a few images that I like.

Last edited:
That`s a lovely shot Jim, but as I can`t see the tools of their job even though it`s a lovely scene.

It's the tools of their recreation (the boat and oars) A bit of a shoehorn I suppose ;)

Bit of a shoehorn, but really like the composition with the leading line pointing straight at the boat. Great silhouette as well. Shame the beach has so many footprints, but can't be helped I guess.

Sorry Jim, it doesn't work for me, at least not for the theme.
The boat (a scull? - can't quite make it out) is incidental to the shot, with it being in the mist/spray and not really sharp. Focus seems to be on the beach to me (or maybe the mound/obelisk on the right).
The outcrop is in silhouette, it's not the subject of the shot though.
Still. Theme done and I've ticked off the tech for you :)

As Tim says Its a pleasant enough image, but I feel the theme is lost somewhere else.

A nice shot - and a defo shoehorn :D

Bit of a shoehorn, but really like the composition with the leading line pointing straight at the boat. Great silhouette as well. Shame the beach has so many footprints, but can't be helped I guess.
Sorry Jim, it doesn't work for me, at least not for the theme.
The boat (a scull? - can't quite make it out) is incidental to the shot, with it being in the mist/spray and not really sharp. Focus seems to be on the beach to me (or maybe the mound/obelisk on the right).
The outcrop is in silhouette, it's not the subject of the shot though.
Still. Theme done and I've ticked off the tech for you :)

I can assure you that doing a pixel peep its sharp right to the treeline, in the original - you may be getting that perception because its a dropped JPEG onto this page and not a direct embed from Flickr (?) Not sure (but, it also looks sharp to me on my screen on this page) - I wonder if anyione else feels its not sharpy across the image, interesting the way webpages display images.

As Tim says Its a pleasant enough image, but I feel the theme is lost somewhere else.
A nice shot - and a defo shoehorn :D
Shoe horns are fine....ask the snake. Nice picture too, I havnt been down there for decades.

Thanks all for the critique. Shoehorn or not (and I am happy that if it is it's a smidge of one) it remains

Back