weekly Flyphots 52 for 2021: Week 52 'Showcase'

Easter
They stand out really well from the background. Very colourful.

Week 14 - Spring

Lovely light on the flowers. How long did it take to find a white one?

Lovely light on the flowers. How long did it take to find a white one?

Thanks Helen, I happened to spot it the day before on my walk with the dog, and noticed the stunning backlight (it was much better the day before!), so I was just lucky I think :)

Week 15 - Snappers Choice

Here's an image of the West Okement river, just below Black Tor, Dartmoor, made today. Very sunny harsh light unfortunately.

Alive, lovely shot if the bee.
Easter very much on theme, hop you enjoyed eating them all.

Alive, lovely shot if the bee.
Easter very much on theme, hop you enjoyed eating them all.
Spring, lovely light and use of shallow dof

Thank you Simon

Hi Jim

A good image even with the harsh light. I rarely get anywhere interesting at the right time.

Pete

Hi Jim

A good image even with the harsh light. I rarely get anywhere interesting at the right time.

Pete

Thanks Pete, it was hard to photograph and hard to PP, but I like the image location so i'll try and get back under 'better' conditions and see what I can do.

Very nice spring shot. You can really feel you're in a wood with the dappled light.

Nice sky and leading lines in your Dartmoor shot. I'm sure in golden hour it is lovely but I think this works well. You weren't standing in the river were you? It looks rather close!

Very nice spring shot. You can really feel you're in a wood with the dappled light.

Nice sky and leading lines in your Dartmoor shot. I'm sure in golden hour it is lovely but I think this works well. You weren't standing in the river were you? It looks rather close!

Thanks, yes I was in the river, and found out that my nearly new wellies have a leak (the second pair of Muck Boots to leak - not good for £80 wellies! I won't buy those any more)

Thanks, yes I was in the river, and found out that my nearly new wellies have a leak (the second pair of Muck Boots to leak - not good for £80 wellies! I won't buy those any more)
Oh no!!! That is not good. I'm about to replace my Peter Storm ones that cost me about £15-20. I've had them many years but they have almost perished. The sole has parted on my walking boots, so I'm really glad the shops are opening up again.

Oh no!!! That is not good. I'm about to replace my Peter Storm ones that cost me about £15-20. I've had them many years but they have almost perished. The sole has parted on my walking boots, so I'm really glad the shops are opening up again.

I went for the Muck Boots because they had really sturdy soles so the plan was to use them for walking in (Dartmoor can be really boggy!). So, now I found a similar pair of Hunters that i've bought, which were on offer - i'm hoping that Hunter are a boot I can trust and won't leak. Hopefully as lockdown eases i'll be able to get plenty of use out of them.

Lovely snappers choice. I'm very envious - Suffolk is rather flat and I miss seeing something with a few contours. The river makes a great lead in line.
BTW - I bought some Aigle "anti-fatigue" wellies a year or so ago. Although quite pricey they are really sturdy and I can actually wear them all day so they live up to their name :)

Lovely snappers choice. I'm very envious - Suffolk is rather flat and I miss seeing something with a few contours. The river makes a great lead in line.
BTW - I bought some Aigle "anti-fatigue" wellies a year or so ago. Although quite pricey they are really sturdy and I can actually wear them all day so they live up to their name :)

Thanks Helen, I have some Hunters now, expensive but hopefuuly bomb-proof :)

Week 16 - Out & About

I was out and about on Dartmoor again today, took a walk up Great Staple Tor ( and very nearly got blown straight back off the top! blummin windy!). Anyway, I hope you like this image I made ...

Snappers choice
Great looking landscape, nice blue sky reflection in the stream.

Out and About
It looks pretty high up there. I like the composition, those rocks on the left, really lead the eye into the image nicely.

Snappers choice
Great looking landscape, nice blue sky reflection in the stream.

Out and About
It looks pretty high up there. I like the composition, those rocks on the left, really lead the eye into the image nicely.

Thanks Dominic. Yes Great Staple is fairly high up (although just a pimple by Lake District/Snowdonia standards ;). )

That looks like a fabulous spot to be on such a glorious day! I hope I can visit one day.

Very nice composition with the stack and horizon on the thirds and the foreground detail.

Really nice Jim. Looks like a gorgeous day and I don't get a sense of any windy-ness to it :)

For me, the foreground looks a little cluttered, but maybe that was the intent. Really like the muted browns and greens - they're a nice accompaniment to the blue sky rather than fighting for attention with it.

That looks like a fabulous spot to be on such a glorious day! I hope I can visit one day.

Very nice composition with the stack and horizon on the thirds and the foreground detail.

Thanks, yes dartmoor is a lovely place to visit, there is so much variety to see and do.

Cracking out & about shot Jim, lovely scenic shot.

Cheers Dave

Really nice Jim. Looks like a gorgeous day and I don't get a sense of any windy-ness to it :)

For me, the foreground looks a little cluttered, but maybe that was the intent. Really like the muted browns and greens - they're a nice accompaniment to the blue sky rather than fighting for attention with it.

Haha, unfortunately the nature of Dartmoor tors means that there will always be plenty of rocks around - they don't really bother me personally and I do actually think they add to the feel of the moorland scene (but, we all see things differently). I agree the browns and greens do work well. Cheers for commenting (y)

Lovely spot and a nice shot. You've done really well given it looks like pretty harsh light.

That’s a super shot Jim, it looks so peaceful and still no sign of even a breeze :) We live on the north coast of Cornwall and the wind can be wicked!
Lovely spot and a nice shot. You've done really well given it looks like pretty harsh light.

Thanks both really appreciate the comments. I can assure you it was VERY windy. And yes, Helen the light was pretty harsh (thank heaven for shadow boost in PP ;) )

Week 17 - Shapes + Tech 'Negative Space'

Our conservatory roof (well, part of it) with a moody sky above

Shapes
Good silhouette, that moody sky fills in the shapes well.

Last edited:
Playing comment catch up!!

Smooth
Very colourful bird, I don't see the optical illusion effect suggested by Martin but it's definitely a smooth character.

Alive
It's amazing how nature just comes to life with the corresponding increase in Bees and others. I might be tempted to crop it tighter as there is good detail on the bee that can be picked out.

Easter
Nice collection of eggs, from the bunny, great vibrant colours though my "apparent OCD" picks up duplicate colours together.

Spring
Really pleasant light on the flowers with the out of focus background adding to the overall quality.

Snapper's Choice
Great image, I'm a fan of the harsh light on this one, although I don't have a similar differently lit image for comparison.

Out and about
Lovely colours, looks a great day. Are some (all) of the stone structures created by well meaning individuals

Shapes
Triangles always make great subjects for photos and this is no different. Would have been handy if you had a word with the weather gods to have one of the sections cloud free!!

Excellent 'shapes' with your moody sky - funnily enough I was looking at our roofline today for inspiration :)

It reminds me of the CND logo a bit.

Shapes
Good silhouette, that moody sky child in the shapes well.

Thank you

Playing comment catch up!!

Smooth
Very colourful bird, I don't see the optical illusion effect suggested by Martin but it's definitely a smooth character.

Alive
It's amazing how nature just comes to life with the corresponding increase in Bees and others. I might be tempted to crop it tighter as there is good detail on the bee that can be picked out.

Easter
Nice collection of eggs, from the bunny, great vibrant colours though my "apparent OCD" picks up duplicate colours together.

Spring
Really pleasant light on the flowers with the out of focus background adding to the overall quality.

Snapper's Choice
Great image, I'm a fan of the harsh light on this one, although I don't have a similar differently lit image for comparison.

Out and about
Lovely colours, looks a great day. Are some (all) of the stone structures created by well meaning individuals

Shapes
Triangles always make great subjects for photos and this is no different. Would have been handy if you had a word with the weather gods to have one of the sections cloud free!!

Cheers. The Tors and stacks on Dartmoor are all, as far as i'm aware.natural formations.

Excellent 'shapes' with your moody sky - funnily enough I was looking at our roofline today for inspiration :)

It reminds me of the CND logo a bit.

Thanks, I se what you mean about the logo

Back