weekly Flyphots 52 for 2021: Week 52 'Showcase'

Nice set - you picked the right one :)

The sunlight on the gates is a powerful image

(reminding me why I don't live in the country)

;)

Wow that is a huge puddle! I often use my walking poles to help me get round puddles, but I'd have to pole vault around that one!

All on theme. I like the golden light in the gate, but the pole is also a strong image.

Wow that is a huge puddle! I often use my walking poles to help me get round puddles, but I'd have to pole vault around that one!

All on theme. I like the golden light in the gate, but the pole is also a strong image.

Thanks, it's a strange one because that puddle is actually run off from a small brook and it is constantly like that, it continues to a very small fall then onward as a brook. I'm unsure why there is even a gate there to be honest! :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks for the comment, appreciate it.

I prefer the one you have chosen - reminds me of many of my local footpaths recently!

Reflection
I'm torn between #1 with it's strong reflection and lovely light and #3 with it's simplicity and calmness.

Bird on the pole, no doubt in my mind.

Week 10 - Rough + tech Low Key

As it's been very windy the last couple of days I thought i'd nip to the seafront on y way to work - it was very windy and cold! Anyway, here are some of the images I made, and i've processed one to hopefully fulfil the low key technique ...

Last edited:
#1 is the best IMO Jim, and I'd say it fits right in on both accounts.

Rough
They're all pretty good looking to me. The low-key works in the most part. I'd maybe just lighten the breakwater.

Rough
They're all pretty good looking to me. The low-key works in the most part. I'd maybe just lighten the breakwater.
Cheers for the comments, I see what you mean

A bit too over-processed for my liking. The triangle thing has a halo around it. (which often happens to me when I get trigger happy with the Clarity slider) Something halfway between the original and the edit would work better in my humble opinion.

It looks like a really aggressive ocean. And for me, it doesn't need the barrier thing in it. Images don't always need foreground interest or leading lines if they don't add to the photo. I think I prefer image 3 out of all of them because the barrier literally "points" to the triangle thing which then becomes the focus of the image. It's not "rough" in my mind though like #2 could be if it was #1 dialled down by 50%.

Yep No.. 1 for me too. Nice moody scene.

A bit too over-processed for my liking. The triangle thing has a halo around it. (which often happens to me when I get trigger happy with the Clarity slider) Something halfway between the original and the edit would work better in my humble opinion.

It looks like a really aggressive ocean. And for me, it doesn't need the barrier thing in it. Images don't always need foreground interest or leading lines if they don't add to the photo. I think I prefer image 3 out of all of them because the barrier literally "points" to the triangle thing which then becomes the focus of the image. It's not "rough" in my mind though like #2 could be if it was #1 dialled down by 50%.

I like it personally - moody, gritty and works for low key for me.

Thanks for the comments folks, much appreciated.

I like the colour version the neutral colour tones are great the first one is a little over processed I feel.

I like the pov and perspective on #1 but like others have said it looks a little over processed / contrasty. It looks a little wonky to me but could be the hills on the right hand side throwing out my eyesight. My horizons are always on the wonk so don't trust my judgement ;)

I like the colour version the neutral colour tones are great the first one is a little over processed I feel.
I like the pov and perspective on #1 but like others have said it looks a little over processed / contrasty. It looks a little wonky to me but could be the hills on the right hand side throwing out my eyesight. My horizons are always on the wonk so don't trust my judgement ;)

Thanks both. Yes I agree it does look a bit overprocessed, and yes Helen it does look slightly wonky but it is definitely the hills doing that as I straightened it twice to make sure i'd got it right in camera .

Reflection
The mirror image on the gate photo is super sharp, I can just imagine reaching that point on a walk and realising I need to go through the water to reach my destination!!

Rough
I like the 4th image where my eye can look from left to right, reach the wall which then diverts my view vertically to the triangle.

The first mono shot is bang on. I'd have maybe been tempted to lose the marker post, but hey, that's what was there.

Week 11 - Smooth

Well I think he looks smooth, with his smooth beak, smooth slick hair and smooth eyeball (call it a shoehorn if you like ;) )

It's an optical illusion. If you stare at the brown top of the bird's head for a short time then stare at his eye, the top of his head seems to move. Of course I could be having a stroke :confused:

It's an optical illusion. If you stare at the brown top of the bird's head for a short time then stare at his eye, the top of his head seems to move. Of course I could be having a stroke :confused:

I see what you mean, it does! haha

That's a beautifully detailed shot that really shows the lovely colours. I have a pheasant that will feed from my hand in my garden. I can vouch for the fact that his beak is not very smooth :ROFLMAO:

Lovely detailed shot but yeah - the mighty horn of shoe. :)

Very detailed and nicely composed. It might be a shoehorn but I'm struggling with this theme so I say that's ok :)

Back