weekly Flyphots 52 for 2021: Week 52 'Showcase'

The pens make an interesting image, agree with some others about the background being close to the colour of the pen tops. My OCD when it looked back at the image started checking the pen colour sequence and then I noticed the two the same next to each other. I think it would work better if the alternating pattern was maintained. I would also be interested to see the pen top angle from left to right across the image which would also show more of the pen design
I'm with the alternating vs symmetry as well, but as a showcase image, it works and definitely captures the interest!

Thanks for the comments, the alternating pens had to be like that because there are an equal nmber of slots on the holder, and my OCD would scream if I had a coloured pen on one and and a plain on the other. The way i've done it is symmetrical from the centre, which pleases my eye more than if i'd have done it the other way :D

I like the symmetry and the colour palette and the lighting works well for me.

I have a bit of a pen fetish, but mainly for fountain pens. When I'm window shopping (because I really cannot buy more pens), I do like to see close ups of the nib and to see caps on and caps off views, and probably this is best seen on a white background. It's also good to see different angles, but I'm sure you know all this. As an image to show the range, I think this image works well.

I like the symmetry and the colour palette and the lighting works well for me.

I have a bit of a pen fetish, but mainly for fountain pens. When I'm window shopping (because I really cannot buy more pens), I do like to see close ups of the nib and to see caps on and caps off views, and probably this is best seen on a white background. It's also good to see different angles, but I'm sure you know all this. As an image to show the range, I think this image works well.

Thanks for the comments, very constructive.

Week 6 'Pair'

Take your pick ...

I'm not sure why, but the colours are more vibrant/true on my monitor on the original than on this one that is posted via Flickr. A bit disappointed, I may need to revisit this theme

And here's an alternate crop taking out the black bar at the top ...

Last edited:
I don't like the wrinkled dividing line at the edge of the table (I assume its the edge of a table)
I like the idea. The vignette is nice, lighting is good

I'm not sure why, but the colours are more vibrant/true on my monitor on the original than on this one that is posted via Flickr. A bit disappointed, I may need to revisit this theme

Possibly its flickr on resizing the photo for you... 'it knows what is best.. ' ;)
I have similar with my photos, in that they look ok on the monitor, but when posted and checked on a laptop, the colours are a lot darker (sometimes)
may be there is something on flickr or a forum post on best way to post there? or if there are some hidden settings on upload...

Good idea for the theme. The colours look rather washed out on my screen too.. especially the reds.

It doesn't yell "pair".

But nice exposure.

Cheers (it probably would yell pair if you played Texas Hold'em Poker ;) :) :) )

I don't like the wrinkled dividing line at the edge of the table (I assume its the edge of a table)
I like the idea. The vignette is nice, lighting is good

Possibly its flickr on resizing the photo for you... 'it knows what is best.. ' ;)
I have similar with my photos, in that they look ok on the monitor, but when posted and checked on a laptop, the colours are a lot darker (sometimes)
may be there is something on flickr or a forum post on best way to post there? or if there are some hidden settings on upload...

Yep, I toyed with taking the table top out of the image, I agree.

Good idea for the theme. The colours look rather washed out on my screen too.. especially the reds.

Thanks Helen - it's not just me then!

I like the image overall and the colour too. The idea of not having a pair actually works for me. Agree with what has been said about the thick black line at the top.

Thanks (pair of glasses, pair of aces, pair of kings, pair of 8s, pair of 4s :) ;) )

Last edited:
Reactions: rpn
I like the fact that you have to work a bit harder to get it. I actually didn't clock the 8's or 4's in the BG or the pair of glasses.

But I did see the pair of pairs in the dealer's hand. Sitting pretty after the flop and even better after the turn.

(y) Thanks for the comment, glad you like it.

It’s disappointing isn’t it when things don’t look so good as the original, I think it’s just one of those things when everyone is viewing on different iPads, monitors etc, it definitely looks more vibrant on Flickr, I think we have to post a downsized version of the original on here. I did spot the pairs :) all nicely laid out and I like the inclusion of the glasses.

It’s disappointing isn’t it when things don’t look so good as the original, I think it’s just one of those things when everyone is viewing on different iPads, monitors etc, it definitely looks more vibrant on Flickr, I think we have to post a downsized version of the original on here. I did spot the pairs :) all nicely laid out and I like the inclusion of the glasses.

Thanks Susie, appreciate the kind words.

Good idea for the theme Jim and well laid out and lit. Nice and contrasty on my iPad but just looks a bit cold.

I like the set up and actually don't mind the colours being a little muted, think it works well. I would agree with the previous comments about preferring it without the black in the background.

I like the set up and actually don't mind the colours being a little muted, think it works well. I would agree with the previous comments about preferring it without the black in the background.

Thanks Steve, I'll put an alternative crop up I think

Not getting the pair either - but a nice shot (the 2nd.)

Not getting the pair either - but a nice shot (the 2nd.)

Cheers, there are quite a few pairs in there (glasses, 8s, 4s, As, Ks)

Good idea for a Pair, several on there, but they do not shout out unless you play cards.

Colours are a bit muted but gives it an aged appearance.

Pete

Good idea for a Pair, several on there, but they do not shout out unless you play cards.

Colours are a bit muted but gives it an aged appearance.

Pete

Thanks Pete, it's not my favourite image of this 52 I must admit.

For this week's theme i'm going to have to delve into my archive images as I just won't have time to get out and about with the camera.

So here it is ....... The Birds (an image I made last October)

Hitchcock at his best, good image.

Thanks Dave. I can't help feeling a bit of a cop-out going into my archive, but I just don't think i'll have the time to make an image this week, around the cr@p weather we've been forcast down here.

Pair
The second image looks better (without the black bar)
It's an image that made me look around, to find the pairs, so it's done it's job in that respect. There's nowt wrong with the set up. Maybe it could be a little more vibrant, but as you say it is on your monitor.

Film
It's a nice silhouette, with a lovely pastel sky.

Last edited:
Pair
The second image looks better (without the black bar)
It's an image that made me look around, to find the pairs, so it's done it's job in that respect. There's nowt wrong with the set up. Maybe it could be a little more vibrant, but as you say it is on your monitor.

Film
It's a nice silhouette, with a lovely pastel sky.

Thanks Dominic, appreciate the comments.

Good work Jim, it's quite an eery image, quite fitting for the film it portrays.

I like the composition and the beautiful sky background. The branches and the birds silhouette are near symmetrical
Good work Jim, it's quite an eery image, quite fitting for the film it portrays.

Thanks both, I think this is in the top 10 of my favourite images from last year.

Great silhouette - and well balanced. It really does remind me of the closing shots from the film.

My first thought was the Beatlesque Vultures from the Jungle Book! Lovely atmospheric pic.

Nice!

The silhouette against the foreboding sky really evokes the mood of the film.

Back