Focus Stack - Reflection

I have watched many videos about stacking but never tried it myself! You have definitely nailed it!

That's a very good image Stan, great idea and well executed.(y)

George.

Absolutely stunning. I have the same question as Carl, how did you create the coloured reflection. I think it makes a huge difference to the image and makes it unique.

What have you got thats causing the lovely rainbow type reflection Stan?

Absolutely stunning. I have the same question as Carl, how did you create the coloured reflection. I think it makes a huge difference to the image and makes it unique.

Cheers guys for the nice comments.

The colours on the disk are just reflection of a rainbow wallpaper from the desktop computer.
Here's the setup.

This was a brilliant exercise Stan!
As a heavy focus stacker, I say "chapeau!"

My only observation:
Your aperture was too closed and this explains
the less softness of the reflection. A bigger aper-
ture would mean 12 to 15 slices instead of 9.

Last edited:
Reactions: rpn
I saved a knackered HDD a few months ago to try the same type of shot. I like your use of the rainbow backlighting providing the colours so I may have to pinch that idea from you.:police:

Thanks for sharing the info stan - although I wont be trying it - its always amazing to see how others do things and surprisingly how simple you achieved the effect - kudos to you fella (y)

I would never have thought of using a wallpaper like that. Excellent idea.

This was a brilliant exercise Stan!
As a heavy focus stacker, I say "chapeau!"

My only observation:
Your aperture was too closed and this explains
the less softness of the reflection. A bigger aper-
ture would mean 12 to 15 slices instead of 9.

Thanks for the advice and must bear that in mind, very helpful. That was only my second attempt at Focusing Stacking so any suggestions to improve are very welcome.

any suggestions to improve are very welcome.

At this point, you're doing just fine and
that was the only thing I could see!

Have a good time!

Back