Focus Stacking

Edit My Images
No
Been playing with the new camera. Trying out the wi fi remote control from the computer. In the process of doing so I found out it does photostacking with my 18-55 lens. I also noticed that the 18-55 isn't listed as being FS compatible. I was going to try my other lenses but after all the messing about the battery went flat. That is going to be a big help when I need to FS again as I had to do it manually before

Been playing with the new camera. Trying out the wi fi remote control from the computer. In the process of doing so I found out it does photostacking with my 18-55 lens. I also noticed that the 18-55 isn't listed as being FS compatible. I was going to try my other lenses but after all the messing about the battery went flat. That is going to be a big help when I need to FS again as I had to do it manually before

write some more on stacking...i need to try that out...my lens just has manual focussing option....its a 12-45 lumix kit lens

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-14-45mm-Lens-H-FS014045-Thirds/dp/B001V9KG3K

will that be any good??

i have a stacking option on my oloneo photoengine pp program

I use the camera in live view but have used it through the viewfinder and mirror lockup, live view is easier.

I tend to use it on small objects with a bit height the require a 5x or 10x close up lens fitted to fill the frame. Camera is mounted on a modified drill press for stability. Camera is set to focus on the foam base with an aperture of f8-f11 (sweet spot) and constant led ring light for illumination. Using a remote shutter release I will take 1 image, manually adjust the focus by a very small amount and take after letting camera settle for a second or two. I repeat this process till the topmost part of the object (closest to the camera as it is pointing vertically down from above) is in sharp focus. I continue repeating adjustment and taking images till the topmost part starts to loose focus. This can be 6 to 20 images.

The images are then stacked in Photoshop CC prior to editing in camera raw.

As for your camera/lens setup it should be fine but I find that I shoot closer to 80mm mark of my mid ranges zoom lens but then many of the objects I photograph are less than 20mm dia. As long as your setup is capable of focusing close enough to reasonably fill the frame (with or without close up lens) it should be fine. The stronger the close up lens the shorter the depth of focus and the more images you need.

I am going to have to experiment with my lens reversal ring now I have a very stable stand.

Hope this explanation is what you want & that it helps.

Last edited:
Back