South-West England Foggintor Quarry, Dartmoor

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone please advise the best route to Foggintor Quarry, near Princetown, Dartmoor?
It looks like there is a small car park on the B3357 and then a walk along a well marked track.(a)
The alternative is to park near Princetown on the B3212 and then a slightly longer walk to the quarry.(b)
Can anyone please confirm whether option (a) or (b) is the better choice, or is there a third option?

Last edited:
Quickest and easiest park on the B3357 at the top of the Yellowmead track or if there's no space 1/2 mile west at Four Winds. Walk down track to quarry. The longer way is park in Princeton (pay) and take the path past the brewery. If you want sunrise or sunset and you'll be walking in the dark the former is much safer.

Thanks very much for the responses.
I'm not aiming for a sunrise or sunset, but I was wondering which was the easier route.
It looked like from the B3357 was a little shorter but I'm not really concerned with distance, just an easy hike.

Did the walk down from Princetown yesterday, parking is £2 for the day behing the Duchy Hotel, walk is about 2 miles flat but stoney along the old railway track. The other route may well be closer, but it carries the usual risk of car break ins you usually get with the more solitary laybys on Dartmoor.

Did the walk down from Princetown yesterday, parking is £2 for the day behing the Duchy Hotel, walk is about 2 miles flat but stoney along the old railway track. The other route may well be closer, but it carries the usual risk of car break ins you usually get with the more solitary laybys on Dartmoor.

TBH I really wouldn't worry about being broken into. It does happen, yes, but it's rare. I've been parking in both popular and very isolated places all over Dartmoor for more years than I can remember, leaving my vehicle from early morning till after dark. An old Defender isn't exactly the most secure of vehicles, nor is it possible to hide stuff left in it if someone has a really good look through the windows, but I've never had any problem at all.
The track from Yellowmead is by far the easiest. If you want a longer walk once you get there there are lots more interesting remains of buildings around the old railway trackbed. Also round the west side of Kings Tor there's a row of abandoned corbels left over from when they widened London Bridge (the one that's now in the US). Then there are the stone rows and menhirs east of the hill down into Merrivale. If you come off the railway trackbed from the loop north of Kings Tor to get to the stone rows aim for the corner of the wall to your left to cross the stream, otherwise you're needlessly flounding in mire. Same if you walk from the top of the Yellowmead track to the stone rows - walk along the road to Four Winds first then follow the leat. Four Winds is the old walls in the little clump of trees (used to be the local primary school, I believe).

Back