Foggy signal box

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
This is the signal box at Beighton Station, not far from where I live. Although it's named Beighton Station, no station has been present since the 1950s when passenger services ceased. There have been recent rumblings about building a new terminal suitable for tram-train services however.

The signal-box is currently scheduled for demolition in 2021, much to the displeasure of locals who see it as a landmark, and there are campaigns looking to try and save it.

Bronica ETRSi
Zenzanon 50mm f/2.8 MC
Fujifilm Superia 100 (expired 2008)

Beighton signalbox
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Beighton signalbox-2

Beighton signalbox-3

This is the signal box at Beighton Station, not far from where I live. Although it's named Beighton Station, no station has been present since the 1950s when passenger services ceased. There have been recent rumblings about building a new terminal suitable for tram-train services however.

The signal-box is currently scheduled for demolition in 2021, much to the displeasure of locals who see it as a landmark, and there are campaigns looking to try and save it.

Bronica ETRSi
Zenzanon 50mm f/2.8 MC
Fujifilm Superia 100 (expired 2008)

Beighton signalbox

Beighton signalbox-2

Beighton signalbox-3

The second one appeals to me Nige.....a reshoot, similar composure in the fog, but with the headlights of a train approaching would make it a belting image I reckon. ;)

The second one appeals to me Nige.....a reshoot, similar composure in the fog, but with the headlights of a train approaching would make it a belting image I reckon. ;)

Thanks Asha. That thought did cross my mind, but it has one major downside. The spot I was stood to make that shot is just a few feet from the tracks. If I were to wait for a train to appear, then I'd be inside the barriers after they descended, which I think would be frowned upon. :)

If I were to wait for a train to appear, then I'd be inside the barriers after they descended, which I think would be frowned upon. :)
Why should that stop you?! :exit: :LOL:

#2 for me too, and yes don't get frowned on ... or worse! :eek:

These small signal boxes are a vanishing breed. Now they have sorted out all the electrics and digitised everything they are being sold off to the Railway Heritage groups. Photographs for local history are essential Sunny or foggy it doesn't matter.

There are a few which will survive simply because it is not worth the expense of upgrading the system. There is one in Surrey between Redhill and Guildford and another on the West Highland line where the cost of upgrading them will be more than the signalman's wages for 20 years. Long may they last.

These small signal boxes are a vanishing breed. Now they have sorted out all the electrics and digitised everything they are being sold off to the Railway Heritage groups. Photographs for local history are essential Sunny or foggy it doesn't matter.

There are a few which will survive simply because it is not worth the expense of upgrading the system. There is one in Surrey between Redhill and Guildford and another on the West Highland line where the cost of upgrading them will be more than the signalman's wages for 20 years. Long may they last.

This one is under threat both because the signalling is now controlled elsewhere, but also because it's proximity to the tracks mean that any maintenance can be costly too as it can involve closing the line to traffic apparently.

I would have thought the maintenance would be done at night and in any case maintaining a sig box if it were out of use for any period of time the signals in either direction would be put on caution and drivers notified of a mandatory speed limit over that section of track. Standard railway practise

I would have thought the maintenance would be done at night and in any case maintaining a sig box if it were out of use for any period of time the signals in either direction would be put on caution and drivers notified of a mandatory speed limit over that section of track. Standard railway practise

I'm sure you're correct - the story I've seen has been based around locals trying to rescue the box. I expect there is a lot of conjecture and hearsay scattered throughout what they say. :)

The closure may very well be on the books but not for the safety aspect, that will have been taken care over many, many years. I am not sure where the place is but it will almost certainly be linked up to one of the main signalling centres which can be 30-40 miles away. The one on the east coast man line at York covers up to Northallerton some 25 miles away and south almost the half way to Doncaster. Instead of one man on his own for a shift, there will be 24hrs cover by teams. All electronic and sanitised.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back